T901 Windows 8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by rcxAsh, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

I took advantage of the $15 Windows 8 offer for new Windows 7 computer purchases and just installed my copy of Windows 8 onto my T901 today from scratch.

The offer is described as an upgrade, but you don't need to install a previous version of Windows first - when you go through their downloader software, there'll be an option at the end to create a bootable ISO. I used this to repartition and install from scratch.

After installation, most of the basic computer features worked out of the box, including the dual digitizer touch screen and Wacom digitizer. I then installed a number of the Windows 7 drivers for the T901 to get the rest of the Fujitsu-specific functionality working (e.g. screen auto rotation, on-screen buttons, SD card reader, etc).

The two things that I couldn't seem to get installed were:
    - Shock Sensor Utility
    - Intel Wifi stuff (for MyWifi)
    - Finger print reader - drivers and OmniPass software installed fine, but doesn't seem to work when I tried to enroll

But otherwise, everything runs pretty smoothly.

I would recommend against installing any further Wacom drivers yourself though for now. Upon installing the drivers from Wacom's website, the on-screen keyboard and TIP shrunk to a size that was not very usable with touch. The drivers that came bundled with Windows 8 seem to work just fine - no performance issues when swiping around everywhere.

The charms menu and everything comes up easily when swiping in from the edges, even with the screen bezel.

Too bad that the 1280x800 resolution of the T901 won't support the Windows 8 Apps Snap feature... I'm hoping that perhaps as Windows 8 gets more traction that someone will hack that feature to enable it... but other than that, I'm pretty happy with the upgrade thus far. Everything is pretty much usable! This is so much better than the days of trying to upgrade Windows XP machines to Vista/Windows 7.

It feels like I have two devices in one now. Using the Metro interface when in tablet mode is very smooth. Not as intuitive if you're using a mouse/keyboard... but nice if you're going for touch/pen input.

One thing I noticed though, is that there doesn't seem to be a floating TIP anymore. You have to bring up the touch keyboard and then change the input method to the TIP instead. Not a big deal, but it tripped me up a bit thinking something was broken...

Edit: For the fingerprint reader, I found this article:
    http://www.jmedved.com/2012/08/fingerprint-logon-in-windows-8/

Long-story short, keep the driver that comes bundled with Windows 8, and don't try to install the Fujitsu one or OmniPass. Instead, install and use the Protector Suite from AuthenTec: http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/Windows/ProtectorSuite.aspx

After installing this, I can enroll and login using the fingerprint reader.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Still? I saw this behavior in RP and I was hoping they'd fixed it in RTM. I guess not. I haven't installed Wacom drivers yet, but I'll eventually be forced to when I install Photoshop.

As to the fingerprint driver, I did install the driver, but I've always used Authentec's Truesuite, even in Win7 because it was so much better than Omnipass. I don't see any adverse effects from installing the driver; it's Omnipass that people should avoid.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I uninstalled OmniPass, installed TrueSuite, verified some fingers, uninstalled truesuite as well, enabled fingerprint scanning at login with windows built in feature, and it uses the print records I made with truesuite without ANY annoying software installed! It's awesome. I feel like I cheated the system somehow, lol.

4. rcxAsh

Yah, it's unfortunate... I found a thread on Wacom's website where a Lenovo X230t user was experiencing the same issue. At first, the Wacom rep that replied insisted that it was a Windows issue not influenced by the driver, but he/she then later confirmed they found a record from their QA people about it. So hopefully it can be fixed in a reasonable amount of time - the driver is still listed as Beta in the readme on their website.

Edit: the link is here: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11294

I know.. it's so weird. When I went to the biometrics control panel before installing anything, it said that I needed to get some 3rd party software to do the enrollment, and then linked me to a website where I could purchase some software.

I wonder why Microsoft didn't include some elementary enrollment functionality since it seems to provide the login mechanism in Windows already!

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Really? Well, now I have to try that!

Edit: Haha, it worked. That's good, because Truesuite stuck some icon program on my desktop that I couldn't get rid of, and now it's gone! Yay.

Edit2: Raaaah, TouchToggle doesn't work in Win8. Guess I'm sticking with Win7 during classes.

Edit3: -_- TouchToggle DOES work, but you have to log in and out for the setting to stick. I closed the program while Touch was "off," which resulted in me losing touch and me going nuts wondering why I lost touch.

Just so you all know. There is a way to turn off touch in Win8, but it's not pretty. Nor elegant. /sigh

Fujitsu's pen driver refused to install, saying that a supported tablet couldn't be found. Bah. Will have to go to Wacom's site then, once they fix the TIP size problem.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  6. masad

masad Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you much for the post.

Question: when I upgrade to Windows 8 will I need to reinstalled my per-installed software (MS Office, Adobe Suite, Bluebeam etc.)?

7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

If you do an in-place upgrade, no, you don't. If you do a clean install, you do.

8. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

wait, you don't need to "upgrade" when using the upgrade ISO? can you describe your exact install process?

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Well, the upgrade assistant gives you the option of creating a bootable usb or dvd, and you can use that to clean install windows. This may only be for Windows 8 Pro- I'm not entirely sure. I got these options while upgrading my mother's Touchsmart PC.

I personally did a clean install (I'm dual-booting, actually) because I got my key for my university's account at MSDNAA.

10. rcxAsh

I purchased my copy through the $15 offer. The purchase is done through a desktop application, the upgrade assistant. At the end of the purchase process, you are given various options to proceed. The default option is to do an upgrade from within the upgrade assistant application. But there was an option to create an ISO file. I opted to do this, and it turned out that this ISO appears to just be a regular Windows 8 install DVD. I burned this to a DVD and booted my computer with it and chose to do an advanced install. Then I used the installer to format my Windows 7 partition, and then chose the newly formatted empty parition as the installation target. It then installed everything from scratch rather than doing an upgrade.

So it pretty much was just as good as doing a straight-forward fresh install. You don't have to use the upgrade mechanism if you don't want to I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.