T901 vs T902

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ste8ven, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@dennisspeaks there's eBay. (= It may be wise to buy some dirty cheap faulty machine for spares.

For using optical drive internally, you will need a special bezel - which is almost impossible to come by separately, so you will most likely need a machine with optical drive included; separately sold optical drives with bezels are crazy expensive. Without the bezel, optical drive will wobble and bounce - I checked. For T901, there are modular HDD caddies with bezel available, which you could use to DIY a bezel for optical drive - but there's no such thing for T902, sadly.

Consider using an optical drive externally, via usb cable - it might be a better option, much cheaper at least.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. dennisspeaks

dennisspeaks Pen Pal - Newbie

For both the t901 and t902 I have heard that when upgrading to windows 10 sometimes there are issues getting the webcam to work, is there a solution to this?

3. dennisspeaks

Thanks everyone for your assistance in helping me to decide which Fujitsu to get, I ended up getting the t901 128ssd, i5, 4gb ram with windows 10. Whether I stick with windows 10 is doubtful and if I am hoping it will be a simple straightforward process to going back to windows .

I am going to bump it up to 16gb and hopefully get an i7 processor and optical drive. Any recommendations on what brand ram to get and i7 processor? I read on Fujitsu's website that some ram although it says it's compatible is not, I am not sure if that is just marketing on their part? Thanks for your input.

4. Starlight5

@dennisspeaks simply get two cheapest DDR3L-1600 (1.35V) modules you can find. DDR3L will consume slightly less energy than DDR3, and will be much easier to resell if you ever decide to part with it - while costs the same as DDR3. CPU-wise, I suggest 2670QM or 2720QM (a retail model, by all means not QS/ES). Do not get more powerful CPUs, it is unsafe in terms of both current draw and cooling. And give Windows 10 a try, it's a decent OS no other compares to - after you remove all the unnecessary stuff following this guide.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

@dennisspeaks, congrats on your T901! I'd personally suggest against putting DDR3L in the T901. It'll be a lot more finicky than a regular DDR3/1.5V RAM, and the energy savings aren't that significant, not compared to the other power-sucking components. Any name brand RAM will do you fine. Heck, if you're in the US, next week is an excellent time to snag a deal somewhere.

Windows 10 on the T901 is great, but you'll lose some functionality since Windows 10 isn't officially supported and thus lacks the proper drivers. Since the machine is new to you, you probably won't miss them. They're pretty minor things like the scroll wheel or scroll sensor.

Did you get the Nvidia model? If you did, then it's imperative that you turn off Windows Update until you can hide the Nvidia driver update, because that will cause Windows to freeze as soon as you log in. It's only an issue with Windows 10, and it drove me nuts until I figured out what was causing the freeze and how to fix it.

If you don't have the Nvidia model, then all's good.

6. Starlight5

Why? DDR3L is just the same as DDR3, but guaranteed to work at 1.35V as well as 1.5V. And reusabilty difference between 8GB DDR3L and DDR3 is very significant - even some Skylake machines use DDR3L.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

If the DDR3L runs at both 1.35V as well as 1.5V, then it isn't a problem. 1.35V only RAM is definitely a issue.

The problem is that the T901 was made for 1.5V RAM. 1.35V RAM should work, but it's not a guarantee, depending on brand or something else. Possibly a motherboard issue. Might have different results with different brands. I don't know. But there's a non-negligible chance that it won't be stable (or work at all, really).

When my dad got a new laptop, I swapped out my 4GB for his 8GB (because he didn't need 12GB RAM) and stuck his 1.35V RAM in my T901. It worked, but there were issues. I can't remember what they were, but I do remember deciding that it wasn't worth it.

I think there were discussions that ultimately came to the same conclusion. It's very much Your Mileage May Vary, whereas with 1.5V RAM there isn't that uncertainty.

So, I guess just make sure that whatever RAM you get, dennisspeaks, is able to run at 1.5V. DDR3 or DDR3L, whatever's cheapest, really.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

@Selofain wow. FWIW I had 2x 8GB DDR3L in my X220 tablet which is Sandy Bridge just like T901, and it worked perfectly; at the moment it has single 8GB DDR3L stick. Didn't try that with T901, though. Was the module you tried high-density (4 chips on eash side instead of 8) per chance? That would explain the problem; if not, I guess @dennisspeaks should indeed stick to your advice choosing DDR3 instead of DDR3L.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  9. dennisspeaks

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and insight and being willing to share it. My T901 arrives on Wednesday and yes Selofai I am in America and am waiting for Black Friday and Cyber Monday to snag the ram and i7 and hopefully an optical drive. I have not used windows 10 a lot, I got my wife a new laptop and that is the first thing I didn't not like was automatic updating, I will have to look at hers I didn't know you could turn it off. The main thing I read there was problems with the webcam which is essential for me. I mainly need it for powerpoint so I can draw on the slide and lightweight video editing.

Thanks for the windows 10 guide Starlite5, I am sure it will come in handy.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I had no idea there were sodimms with different densities. It's possible that was the problem, though I don't recall that it looked different from my other RAM modules. Mostly, I was just disappointed that I'd have to go buy another 8GB module rather than just use my dad's.