T901 vs T902

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ste8ven, Aug 3, 2012.

1. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen works in Powerpoint, you can either write directly on the slides (if you want handwritten / handdrawn slides), or if you want "typed" text on your slide, you can draw a text box and write in the Windows handwriting recognition box so that it converts it to type.

2. dennisspeaks

dennisspeaks Pen Pal - Newbie

That's what I thought, sounds like the ideal machine for me if I can find a good one. Thank you!

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Not sure I follow your question, do you mean you want to replace the m-SATA as the OS drive with a regular one in the main drive bay? That should be possible, but why not just leave the m-SATA (if it had one in it) as your boot OS drive and install your own 500gb in the main drive as extra space? There is a m-SATA drive space that can only house a m-SATA size and a regular hard drive space that can take your regular SATA drive, SSD or HDD. There is also a modular bay that with the correct adapter piece can house a 3rd HDD or SSD. It's going to have a normal HDD in it already in the main drive bay (I would assume, unless the seller took the original one out)
    For more in-depth questions about the mSATA cache (?), I would ask Stormi, he has experience installing the OS to a m-SATA I believe.

4. dennisspeaks

I am just learning about these laptops while searching local craigslist ads, the one I inquired about has a ssd and optical drive. I didn't know that I could add another 1 or two additional hard drives. I did just saw a listing that says the t901 has a max ram capability of 8gb so that probably will be a deal killer for me if it's true.. Looking at your signature you have exactly what I need with the i7 T902 Stoneseeker. Thanks for your input, I am like a fish outta water here.

5. dennisspeaks

OK Stoneseeker, I am reading about the t902 online and it keeps popping up about a glitch with the touch system and stylist and then your name pops up so I thought I would ask you. Has Fujitsu provided a fix for this yet?

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

If you want an msata, make sure you get the T902. The T901 doesn't have that capability. Also, the T901 can take 16gb RAM, I've got it running right now.

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. dennisspeaks

There is so much mis information out there it makes it a challenge for a novice to figure it out. Thanks for clearing that up Selofain, I saw a listing that said 8 was max ram for t901. As far as msata, I have seen the t901 advertised with 128 and 255gb SSD's which I thought was msata but since you brought it up as i am researching I am more confused than ever lol.

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@dennisspeaks both machines are upgradeable to 2x 8GB RAM, have a 2.5" 9.5mm SATA slot for SSD/HDD, and can have a HDD caddy in modular bay for second 2.5" 9.5mm SATA slot. Both machines can have WWAN slot; IIRC all T901&T902 all come with the slot actually, but whether WWAN antennae are present in the lid or not, depends on configuration. On T902, you can put an mSATA SSD inside WWAN slot, unlike T902. Also, there's nothing stopping you from putting mSATA SSDs in 2.5" slots, decent adapters cost ~$4.

Instead of additional storage, you can use the modular bay for second battery - it especially makes sense on T901 since modular batteries for it are beefier and cheaper. Also, T901 allows CPU upgrade - you can put a quad-core i7, e.g. 2670QM or 2720QM there if you want. GPU-wise, T901 comes with either HD3000, or HD3000+NVS4200M; the latter performs about the same as HD4000 in T902.

Getting machine with pre-installed SSD and a lot of RAM rarely makes sense - price premium is often more than what you'd pay by installing new components yourself. Pay closer attention to:
    * condition - sourcing new (or used in good condition) parts for any Fujitsu is a tiresome and expensive adventure;
    * digitizer type - active (pen only) or dual (pen+touch) - you'll definitely want the latter;
    * WWAN antennae - get a machine with them if there's even a slight possibility you're gonna need them some day, because disassembling display lid and mounting them yourself is major PIA.

Both machines are good. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    stoneseeker and dennisspeaks like this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

They never released a fix, however the pen glitch did not make a big difference to a majority of users (there is a poll somewhere on the site regarding it). It was a deal breaker for a few who had it worse than others. I use a drawing glove and see it about twice in a 4 hour span of drawing. It's negligible at that rate. When I first got my system and I hadn't tweaked settings and using older wacom drivers, it happened much more frequently, but still not a deal breaker for me. With a SSD and 16 gigs of RAM, there are very few systems that can really come close to its functionality even now 5 years later. The Wacom Mobile Studio Pro and Vaio Canvas are the hottest contenders currently for my line of work (animation and heavy lifting photoshop painting) but the cost of those in contrast to getting a used T902 is astronomical, and they don't have self serviceable multiple hard drive bays and modular hardware... With any machine (especially used) you are running the risk of getting one with a hardware or software glitch that you may have to work through, I've never had a perfect machine, but after owning and using multiple premium devices (ep121, vaio canvas, surface pro 3, samsung s7s slate, vaio duo 13....etc) the T902 has been by far the most sturdy and reliable device I have ever owned. I put soooo many hours of intense labour into this thing. It's finally showing some signs of its abuse now, (I lost pen function on a small strip of the screen) but after 5 years, it still performs better than any ultrabook ultra thin machine I have picked up. It even outperforms the Vaio Canvas in Photoshop painting by a large margin for some reason (Vaio or Ntrig or Adobe... I don't know who to blame for that one...)

thatcomicsguy and Starlight5 like this.
  10. dennisspeaks

Starlight5 Having the dual pen and touch has been on my list along with i7, this info gives me a little room so i7 isn't mandatory. Thanks for info on the WWAN antennae and HD3000+NVS4200M.

For me I need to have optical drive capable and touch plus some video editing. It will be my main computer as I have no desktop.

yes i am finding out how hard it is to locate some parts like the 1st bay hard drive connector. Fujitsu said that they don't even have it. Is there a good place for aftermarket parts for these or not?