T901 vs T902

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ste8ven, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kits

Kits Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh that's what it's for! I kept slipping it into the pen but it was too big, thank goodness I didn't stuff it into the pen slot, was contemplating that =P

Thank you so much, monkey! I think I'm going to hang around more in these forums since I'm officially a tablet PC user woop woop!

2. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

3. SuperFlyBoy

Fujitsu wrote back to me that it can indeed use a 9.5mm HD, but they never sent me the HD enclosure, so I cannot check before I return the unit! :mad:

4. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't seem to get a clear answer. So msata CAN'T be used as a boot drive?

5. SuperFlyBoy

If you read through this thread, I think I said that other posters in (possibly) other threads have stated that the mSATA cannot be used as a boot drive.

However, they have stated that one can use it as a *storage* drive, so I sold off my 256 GB mSATA drive and still have to return the T902, which I could test, but do not have the time or the inclination - as I do not wish to mess around with the unit...

6. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Just wanted to give a heads up, and make a few corrections to some previous posts. I just bought the T902 from newegg ($1500 brand new? Can't beat it with a stick!) First thing I did was try and confirm the inability to boot from an msata drive. I made a copy of the restore discs with the stock 500gb HDD, and then removed the hard drive entirely from the machine. I installed a brand new Crucial M4 256GB MSATA drive in the MSATA slot and booted into the BIOS. No where in the bios was I able to see any stats about the MSATA drive (Disc 1 was listed as empty, and disc 2 was listed as my optical drive). Despite this, I instructed it to boot from the optical drive where I stuck the first recovery disc. It booted from the recovery disc, and presented me with a set of options. I tried to do a complete restore (rebuild all partitions, and reinstall from the recovery image). Sure enough, after asking me to swap discs several times and rebooting, It brought me to the windows 8 setup!

So the T902 (at least the new ones) will boot from an MSATA even though I don't see anything referencing it in the BIOS. I was set to AHCI Mode, and I will look to see if I can identify a BIOS version for anyone that is curious. Something interesting is that the stock 500GB Hard Drive is of course split into two equal partitions of ~250gb. The restore utility basically did the same with my 256gb M4 SSD (splitting it into 2 110gb partitions after leaving room for the recovery partition). I simply corrected this in disk utility by deleting the second partition and extending the first to a total of 220gb. Working like a boss!

7. alaskajoel

After installing windows to the MSATA, the drive still doesn't show up in the BIOS but it is running great. I don't have anything in the standard HDD bay, and have the space saver in the optical drive and the machine feels much lighter...or perhaps just better balanced. On any note, I'm super thrilled about it. I was expecting SATA II speeds on the MSATA but it is actually SATA III...I'm getting 400-500MB/s (sequential) on Crystal disk mark, and 350-450 (sequential) on HDTune. Fabulous News!

For those interested, my BIOS version is 2.07 and the date on it is 03/22/2013.

One other thing while it's on my mind...I've come across a couple other threads regarding high pitched noises coming from the unit. Mine does this as well, but as is typically the case, it's related to Intel speedstep and c-state power savings. It was more prominent while using the SSD (mostly because of the way the processor clocks down during I/O operations, but does not downclock to its lowest state). Turning off Speedstep in the BIOS has reduced the problem by 95% for me, but I lose about 45min to my average battery life numbers (with the single battery). Not an ideal situation, but until manufacturers start using higher quality voltage regulation components, it will have to do.

Attached below is a screen shot of my T902 showing MSATA and benchmarks. This machine looks like a keeper, and a worthy replacement to my Series 7 Slate.

[​IMG]

8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

That's super neat! I only wish I could make a similar discovery with my empty mPCIe slot. Unfortunately, mine is electronic incompatibility rather than officially unsupported.

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

alaskajoel, nice work!

I remember when the others saw it wasn't recognized in the BIOS to boot from they simply stopped there, way to not give up! That's crazy light and useful. IT's silly, but imagine if you want to have 3 SSD's in there! YOu could technically have well over a terrabyte of solid state space with all 3 slots used. Or do what your doing and have a very light device. All you need now is more RAM, haha.

10. alaskajoel

Thanks guys!

If only I had the money for that much solid state storage. I'm thinking I'll do a second battery and put in another 1tb storage drive in the HDD space. Another 4GB DIMM is also en route because my VMs are already not appreciating the lack of ram!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.