T901 vs T902

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ste8ven, Aug 3, 2012.

1. ste8ven

ste8ven Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been checking and reading all this forum on T901 for quite a while, and since the ebay refurbs dropped to below 800 I bought one myself. However I was always aware of the T902 coming out and heard that T902 is 16X9 which is smaller than T901's 16X10 screen. At the start of T902's news I heard that the weight was 4.1 pounds and now its actually 4.41 pounds on the fujitsu website with weight saver, which is another minus for my impression of T902. Since T901 is 4.6 pounds, the 0.2 pounds really don't make a difference. Other than the upgraded ivy bridge CPUs, I really don't see a point in buying T902 right now, considering its price at 2000, while refurb's of T902 is bellow 800. Can anyone suggest more resons to buy T902?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The only REAL reason for upgrading from T901 to T902 is the native resolution. 1280x800 to 1600x900 is gigantic.

But if you are happy with 1280x800 then you should be happy with your T901.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

You got a T901 for $800?! That's a great deal, there are a few other things I like the look of in the new T902:

-definitely agree with Shog that the MAIN reason I would ever consider it worth all the money is DAT SCREEN. Bright, and HUGE resolution compared to all the other Tablet PC's in the market. It makes up for going 16:9.
    -HD4000. Unless you got the Nvidia 4200M in your unit, this thing will be running circles around the HD3000.
    -overall *** appeal. the tabletPC Fujitsu line typically look like laptops from the early 90's. This version is the first to embrace a more streamlined, modern approach to design. Some may prefer the utilitarian oldies though.

but at that price difference, your laughing!

4. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the t902 actually looks a lot like the t901. It's still thick and heavy. At that price it's a crazy purchase in my opinion.

There's too many things happening in this market right now to spend that much. Especially when it seems likely that the new tabs with Win8 will be more affordable. I think the tablet pc is sort of a niche market, but now this is kind of taking that niche to a new level and charging exorbitant amount of money for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

The T901's screen is larger in physical dimensions. The T902 has a higher resolution display, so will fit more content on it, but as it is 16:9, the display has less surface area than the T901's 16:10 display. The T902 gains in horizontal length less than it loses in vertical length. Some may find this annoying when inking (as the Wacom part has it's own resolution).

Here are some of the main differences, T901 first and T902 second:

1600x900 vs 1200x800
    16:9 vs 16:10
    SSD cache vs no SSD cache
    1080p webcam vs 2mp webcam (these are two different measurements, but I assume that the T902's will be better)
    No latch vs latch
    Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge
    --HD3000 vs HD4000
    --1333MHz RAM vs 1600MHz RAM
    NVS4200 option (not available on most refurbs) vs no dedicated GPU - NB the HD4000 has better benchmarks than the NVS4200
    72Wh vs 62Wh
    Island keyboard vs 'normal' keyboard
    Non-raised bezel vs raised bezel
    10 point multitouch vs 5 point multitouch
    2 x USB 3.0 vs 1 x USB 3.0
    2 x USB 2.0 vs 2 x USB 2.0

See: Fujitsu America - TabletPCs and Notebooks Products Comparison

Depending on your uses, some of these might not matter at all, some might. As SB and IB both use the G2 socket, it might be possible to put an IB processor in a T901, but if it is possible you would still need to spend quite a bit getting an IB processor.

6. ste8ven

ste8ven Pen Pal - Newbie

Just saw a T901 refurbished with scratches down to $581 dollars, i saved all the records of the prices for these couple of months, and its price is bouncing from 500 to 800, which is really a surprise since in Feb T901 were around 1000 manufacturer refurb.

I want to ask Shogmaster or stone seeker or anyone on this forum, what are the apps and programs that are a must have for the T901? In terms of taking notes and using the stylus or even drawing?

7. ste8ven

ste8ven Pen Pal - Newbie

They both use the G2 socket? Does that mean I can just install 3rd generation CPU's into T901? I wonder if HD 4000 will also be brought in to T901 if the 3rd generation CPU is installed.

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

The Software section on these forums lists a plethora of perfect software for tabletPC's. You'll have a lot of options, as virtually any program you could want will run on a full fledged windows tablet like this.

My personal favs:

-Alias Sketchbook pro (excellent drawing tool especially on smaller/older machines, still runs smooth, and streamlined for tablets and slates)
    -Adobe After Effects
    -Adobe Flash
    -Adobe Photoshop
    -One note
    -Corel Painter
    -photoshop toolbar (user made, free and downloadable from its very active thread in: Software)

etc etc etc

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha! That's what I want to know. I should point out that my research so far leads me to believe that they use the same socket (IB is also the 'tock', so is supposed to be more a refinement). Even if it is the same socket, I don't know if an IB processor will work and if it does, how much will.

10. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I don't really know, but I'm guessing because the manufacturing process changed due to the size increase of the die, that even if sockets where compatible, that the pins will not be. On top of that, there is no guarantee the chip set would work with the new instructions. (IB uses faster RAM, etc.) If it worked I'm sure it would not be as grand as one would believe. My guess is that it wouldn't work though.

2d