T901 Disassembly Guide

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Selofain, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Any possibility/attempt to see if an mSATA SSD supported by the T901?

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I did some research into that a while ago to see if I could put my empty ports to use. Short answer is no, since the T901 was never offered with mSATA.

Basically, while it would fit physically in the mPCIe slot, there's no SATA controller onboard to interpret signals. You could get a mPCIe SSD (or an expresscard SSD!), but those are ridiculously expensive.

Still, I haven't actually tried it. Maybe, miracle of miracles, it would work. And that'd be awesome. But everything I've found points to no.

3. SuperFlyBoy

Oh well - Fujitsu never bothered to offer this as a pure storage solution, so even on the T902, one would not be fully supported there...

I prefer the larger screen of the T901 and I gather the T902 would be sharing CPU RAM for the Intel GPU, thus reducing available RAM on the T902 as compared to the T901...

4. nema.arpit

nema.arpit Pen Pal - Newbie

While mSATA itself is probably not possible, an mPCIe based SSD can be installed if the wwan port is truly mPCIe, and not just an mPCIe lookalike USB.
    See here:
    Netbook SSD | Super Talent Technology - SSD | Solid State Drives
    The CoreStore MV claims to have the mPCIe interface, not SATA or IDE and should work in mPCIe ports.
    Booting from it would be another battle.

5. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the useful guide. One recommendation though - buy a set of 1st class micro screwdrivers! Although I much prefer the torx head screws used by HP and Lenovo (at least on business-class models), I have yet to strip a Fujitsu Phillips screw using quality drivers, but had damaged many with el-cheapos before I wised up. Also, you might add a small, but strong, magnet and a pair of fine, curved forceps to your kit. Put the magnet along the screwdriver shaft and it becomes a screw holder, and the forceps can help you get screws into places that are not a straight shot.
    Ciao,
    Lenny

6. SuperFlyBoy

Any suggestions for these? (Brands/websites to purchase?)

@Selofain:

What would be the procedure for just removing the keyboard?

Since I think I am going to use this one as my primary laptop, I think that I will be changing the white keyboard to a black one...

7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

SuperFlyBoy: For just the keyboard, you should be able to do it in steps 7-11 (ignore step 10). Also, I think the black keyboard isn't antimicrobial, for whatever it's worth.

LROBBINS: Neat suggestion with the microscrewdrivers! Looks like just the thing I've been looking for to replace my el cheapo screwdrivers.

8. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

SuperFlyBoy,

Depends where you live. Look at what electronics supply houses carry. RS (= Allied in the U.S.) stocks over 200 screwdriver sets. I don't recall which brand I have, but if you look through the descriptions you will surely find a set with the sizes you need. I'd look for hardened tips, long shafts, and a swivel button at the handle end. Phillips tips accurately cut to the phillips profile is really more important than being hardened or non-slip, but there's no way to judge that by eye or by what the manufacturers say. Sure feels different though when you put it into a screw head. Stuff house branded as RS is often pretty good, and priced to sell, but there are lots of others. Figure on spending from E30 to E60 for good quality though.
    Ciao,
    Lenny

9. piwebs

piwebs Pen Pal - Newbie

On reassembly, my webcam isn't working, but everything else seems fine. Any hints as to where I missed a connection?

10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Make sure it's not a driver error first. It should be one of the myriad of cables coming from the display- try reseating all of those to make sure it's not a loose connection. I've never taken my display apart, so I don't really know which cable corresponds to which feature. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.