T732 mSATA SSD Installation?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by cookies4you, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, my hard drive's beginning to crap out.

Since my T732 didn't include a 3G module, I've got an open mSATA slot, nice and perfect for an SSD.

I realize that most of the guys here are T902 users, but it shouldn't be too different, right?

Anyone know how I should start?

Other than buying the SSD of course, how would I do something like move Windows 8 onto it, and what options should I use for maximum efficiency? For one, I know that I should enable TRIM, but is there anything else I should pay attention to?

I don't mind doing a clean install. I've already de-authorized my Photoshop, and the rest of my files are Steam games that can be re-downloaded.

2. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wouldn't a 3g module use an m-pcie slot? m-sata and mpcie I think have the same interface, but they have different pin outs. I don't know whether the slot is an mpcie or msata, but on the fujitsu configurator, when you select 3g, the msata ssd cache option is disabled, so they obviously use the same slot. That wouldn't explain how they plug in the msata cache into an mpcie slot though.

As for the migrating, couldn't you just clone the drive onto the ssd (or at least the partition)? My T732 came with a 500gb drive, but I replaced it with a 750gb hybrid drive and placed the 500gb in the modular bay.
    If I recall, all I did was clone the entire 500gb drive onto the 750gb and resized some partitions. One thing that was a bit fiddly was cloning the recovery partition. A couple of times it didn't clone properly, but I tested the recovery partition by restoring my notebook to ensure it worked. I did this when I first got the notebook so I had no data to lose.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

If there was a cache option, then it will be mSATA. However, if the T732 is anything like the T902, then the mSATA may not be whitelisted in the bios. I'm not sure if that hurdle has been overcome.

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it'll be the same as on the T902. The installed mSATA SSD won't be visible in bios but you are able to install windows on it and boot from it. I've got it working together with the 2.5" HDD as you can see on my sig.

5. cookies4you

So I can just move my files without any issues?

If it isn't visible to the BIOS, how will it boot to Windows though?

6. cookies4you

Okay, I have successfully installed Windows 8 onto my mSATA SSD.

Now I've got a hard question, where in the world can I get some replacement screws?

One of my screws were busted (the mSATA slot one) during the removal because of an uneven screwdriver.

It'll be annoying to remove (I'll get to it eventually though), so I was hoping that I could replace it with a new one.

Unfortunately, Fujitsu's kind of... Secretive about that information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.