T732 - external monitor question

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dschad, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dschad

dschad Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I see that the T732 supports a larger resolution external monitor when the internal one is turned off. Does this mean that the digitizer is also turned off, or can it still be used as an input pad using an external higher resolution monitor? Are there any of the somewhat older models that support this (if not the T732) - i.e. T734, T902/904?

Thank you.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@dschad digitizer stays on. You can use at least 2 displays simultaneously, maybe 3, without any accessories, in clone and/or extend desktop mode - and more when using usb adapters, or connecting to other tablets/notebooks. I personally ran 4 displays on my T734, that is internal+VGA monitor+HDMI TV+X220 tablet via ethernet/spacedesk, just for test - and it worked flawlessly.

When you use clone mode all your displays will run in smallest resolution common between them, 1366x768 that is in case of T732 + high-res 16:9 monitor. If you want clone with high-res display, you obviously need T904 or T935; however, it is extending desktop that increases one's productivity considerably, while cloning barely helps.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  3. dschad

dschad Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply, but to be clear: if I "extend" my display I can have a desktop monitor with 1920x1200 and the tablet monitor at 1366x768. Can I draw on the 1920x1200 monitor? So it is like using a non-visual digitizer pad where I would look at the screen while writing, not at my pen?

And I assume that cloning just shows the same desktop on multiple monitors for presentations or whatever?

I'm on the fence between a newer Thinkpad and a an older T732. I don't have any experience with digitizers beyond my Galaxy Note 2, so I'm trying to figure out the best path.

Thanks again.

4. Starlight5

@dschad cloning shows the same desktop for everything, i.e. you will see your drawing on both tablet and monitor simultaneously... but you'll be limited to 1366x768, of course. Whether it is possible to turn off the internal display and still be able to use digitizer, no idea, but I'll probably check tomorrow.

Regarding T732... I would advice against it. It may be good, but there's nothing remarkable about it, and Fujitsu is notorious for expensive accessories; also, parts are harder to come by, and there are no service manuals. In comparison, T734 is available with (and upgradeable to) i7 quad, the last of its' kind, and has expresscard slot which can be used for eGPU and other fun stuff; T902 has HD+, and T904 has QHD displays; older Lenovos are extremely durable and have truely epic battery life, are much cheaper and easier to service and upgrade, especially X220 tablet.

5. dschad

dschad Pen Pal - Newbie

So you like the X220t over the T732? I think the specs are generally the same, I will see if W10 is officially supported from Lenovo.

I was thinking T732 because of the cheap price, but I see the 220 is on the same level.

I like the 902/734 but they start to get up into the $500-600 range, which is pretty close to a refurbished Yoga 14 which seems to be in another league.

I'll have a look and do some more thinking on that too.

Thanks

6. Starlight5

@dschad, T732/T734/T725 are a bit different than X220T/X230T. T732 is on par with X230 tablet, spec-wise; they both have noticeably better GPU than X220 series. There's nothing bad or lacking about T732/T725, other than the fact that (upgraded) T734 is so much better - but if you won't bother upgrading it anyway, no big deal then.

Overall, I believe Fujis are better all around and more comfortable to use; Lenovos make up in battery life and price, they have really decent and mostly cheap accessories and parts. I use Fujitsu at home, and X220 tablet (which runs Win10 just fine, by the way) on the go - it also serves as second monitor for T734 when I need it. Bottom line, it all comes to down to YOUR personal preference and usage scenario. And speaking of Thinkpad Yoga 14 - it is indeed in another league, and in my book that league is much lower.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  7. dschad

dschad Pen Pal - Newbie

I appreciate your feedback. I'm not too concerned about weight or battery - my primary use will be around the house/shop as a drawing and design tool. I'd like to be able to work away from my desk, going back if I want a bigger monitor, etc. If upgrades are cheap I'd go that route, but I'd prefer just to buy something with a bunch of ram and call it good. I'm starting to think that even an older model will replace my desktop. I have been looking at the cpu speeds and it is very interesting that these older models (with the larger/higher voltage) seem to be the same as the current crop, albeit with lower battery life.

How do you find the smaller resolution of the older models (1366x768) on a 12.5" screen? My thinking was that the 1920x1080 higher res would be a lot better...although with a smaller area maybe it doesn't make much difference? It is interesting that the non-digitizer Yoga 12s have a similar res, so I imagine it isn't that bad?

Thanks again, lots of good info for thought (although probably just buying something would be better!).

8. Starlight5

@dschad I prefer low-res, it's easier on eyes (and system resources, too). Some websites do not fit well in portrait mode, other than that everything's great. T732, despite full-voltage CPU, should be on par with new convertibles battery-wise, and slightly better if you add modular battery - unless it's main battery is worn out that is.

I checked stylus with high-res TV while internal monitor was off. It does work as you described, but the whole experience felt unnateral compared to the usual drawing directly on the screen.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  9. dschad

dschad Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for trying that. I was curious - worst case if I get one is that I can turn off the screen and use it as a digitizer pad with my desktop.

I just got back from BestBuy where I went to see if I could look at the Yoga 12 and/or 14. No luck on either, but I did look at some other laptops with screens representative of each of the candiates resoluations and the 1388x768 seems like it would be fine. Higher would be better, but since I don't know what I'm missing, I won't miss it.

So I think I've swung back to the older stuff, and I'm going to give the T734 another look and see about upgrading the CPU/RAM as you suggest.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it ends up.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Starlight5

@dschad regarding upgrading T734 - RAM is a matter of minute, but upgrading CPU requires disassembling the whole machine, and noone lived to tell the tale made a guide yet. Another thing to be aware of - only i7 4702MQ is a sure bet, since T734 was available with it; other CPUs may or may not be supported by BIOS and/or may cause power problems.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015