T731 Screen on T730?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Hashaholic, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hashaholic

Hashaholic Borderline Yadoo

Hi guys been a while. The T730 is still going strong but unfortunately, I cracked the screen a few weeks ago. I ordered a replacement T731 screen on ebay as they look identical, swapped them out and it works. Problem is, none of the touch or pen functions work.

I've wiped the OS and reinstalled all the drivers from Fujitsu, it says Pen input available (no mention of multi-point touch?) under System properties, but the monitor shows up as a generic PnP screen under device manager. Are there monitor drivers available seperately, or am I overlooking something? Must I use a T730 screen? Thanks in advance!

2. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you get it to work? If not I'm assuming you are replacing the whole screen assembly. If so and it doesn't work (which seems odd to me) have you tried just replacing the LCD part of the screen? Or atleast making sure that the digitizer's cables are attached inside the assembly correct. I recently stumbled on a video on Youtube that shows how to replace just the LCD on the t730 and it looks easier than I thought:

I found it looking for info on t4410 screen replacement but the t730 and t731 are design wise the same as the t4410 to my knowledge and just the motherboards are updated.

Additional: The Monitor driver in the OS shouldn't have any influence on the Pen input which is a separate driver. Before disassembling it again if you haven't you might want to try just installing the generic Wacom Penable/Feel IT driver and see if it works instead of the official Fujitsu one: http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/ . Lastly I'm not completely sure but I vaguely remember seeing that some models didn't have touch input, they only had pen input but the screen was suppose to be brighter or anti-glare or something instead so if that is true maybe the t731 screen you got was one of those? Although the pen in that case should still be working though.

3. Hashaholic

Hi, thanks for the response.

Yes, I swapped the entire display assembly from a T731 and pretty sure it is a touch version since it appears to have the hazy resistive layer like the broken T730 screen did. Unfortunately, I still can't get the pen to work at all. I've installed pen/touch drivers from both Fujistu and Wacom with no luck. I click the Wacom Pen icon in control panel and I get an error saying "No supported hardware found". Clicking on Pen Table Properties right above it gives me the error "THE TABLET DRIVER WAS NOT FOUND". So it doesn't recognize the monitor at all, which I find strange considering the connections are identical to the T730 and physically they are identical besides the tiny battery icon below the Fn button on the T731 display.

I guess the next step is to swap digitizers and hope the hardware recognizes it, so I'll do that this evening and report back if anything changes. Besides that, perhaps the proper display would work but I'm not sure how much effort, time and money I want to keep putting into this outdated machine to get it functional again.

Thanks again for your help.

4. Hashaholic

Alright, quick update for anybody interested or for future reference...

I took both screen assemblies apart this afternoon and my problems started making sense. First off, the T731 screen is not dual digitizer as I thought...the haze is a screen protector. Massive disappointment. Next, both digitizers have completely different backside connectors despite being identical in every other way. Why!?! As a result, a direct swap of digitizers between screen assemblies isn't possible.

So my solution for now is to reuse my existing digitizer and screen assembly, cut the connection from the digitizer to the broken glass, and reuse the glass from the T731 screen. The pen works now but not having touch is unacceptable. Going to be on the lookout for a proper digitizer or glass + digitizer connection...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.