T731 frustration !

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Aicent, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

So I have not had my t731 for long, and I had a pair of cheap earbuds that stopped working unless I pressed it into the audio jack very hard and twisted it around. Now this same problem is happenign with my third pair of earbuds and I am really frustrated.
    My old Toshiba had the same problem but it took about three years to happen, now this is happening within a month ! I'm really confused and I don't know what to do, how could such a new and imho overwhelmingly expensive machine have this problem ?!

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You mean how can a $0.05 part [headphone jack] fail when someone doesn't take good care of their device? Well, by someone having a headphone plugged in [either fully or partly] and then banging/ dropping/ bumping/ shifting/ resting the weight of the computer on the plugged in device, or even putting it in a bag with something plugged in... I've seen it many times on many devices from my friends, and I've talked with people about it (notably the apple people at the apple store, and they say they've seen it a lot on ipods that people shove in their bags with something plugged in the jack, then it shifting around and deforming the jack, leading the the exact same issue you are seeing where only one channel is working unless you really jam it around)

Unless you are saying that you are buying new headphones and they work fine for a while then don't work after some use (and would that be only on the T731, or all devices?)...

3. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

First off THANK YOU so much for the swift reply.I take very good of my device. When I put it in tablet mode it rests agains my knees but I try to make sure it is fully plugged in.
    Also the soudn works if I press ceartin parts of the palm rest area on the left side and the edge near the hinge. If i press those areas firmlyy the sound will come back.

4. Agent 9

Well, even if it wasn't you, it only takes one stray idiot to come by your machine, do something stupid to it, and its screwed up; regardless of how it happened it did happen and its broken now... incase you haven't figured it out yet, you are under warranty, Fujitsu is capable of replacing the daughter board containing the broken components, and you are probably going to have/ want to use them while you are under warranty.

If you absolutely cannot be without your device (it would likely be a fast turn around: ship it out and wait a day or two for them to get it, max 24hrs with them, then a day or two back to you) then you will have to upgrade your warranty to an Onsite Warranty so they come out to you on a day/ time you schedule and they would be done in a matter of an hour or two; very nifty, but not free. Call Fujitsu to figure out how much this will cost you

5. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

That is really not an option because I have to go to school online..Is there any other options ?

6. Agent 9

Yea, get the Onsite Warranty upgrade (call them to see how much it would be) and have them come out to replace the part, it shouldn't even take an hour; otherwise don't buy any warranty upgrade and wait until you aren't so busy and send it in normally... In the interim get this to have audio through a headphone port Newegg.com - SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter (I have one and its worked great)

7. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much Agent 9 !!! You're a lifesaver !!!
    I will fix the problem but until then this is a great price for a temporary product

8. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm, so after some while the earbuds fail and a new pair works again for some time?

Sounds like a perfectly fine jack and cheap earbuds to me.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Another option is a pair of bluetooth headphones but a good pair may be more than the usb versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.