T5010 vs. T900 - Enhancements

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by mernie1123, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.C.Anderson

R.C.Anderson Pen Pal - Newbie

2. mernie1123

mernie1123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys - I guess I was thrown by the datasheet reference to HDMI. Glad to have my facts straight now.

I'm hoping to use the T5010/T900 for watching HD video on a TV. Is that realistic with the integrated graphics?

3. virkelie

virkelie Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone concluded in another post that the specs listed in the pdf data sheet indicating the presence of HDMI is probably an error; another person said perhaps the specs are different for Europe.

I find it hard to believe that Fujitsu would make such an error.

The UK website offers the link to the data sheet showing HDMI, which is different from the data sheet ("product literature") on the US website.

I can't believe this is an error.

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/products/mobile/tablet_pcs/lifebook_t900.html

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T900

4. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

The US version definitely does not have an HDMI port. Unfortunately, it also does not have any USB 3.0 port either. Its I/O port configuration is definitively backwards looking. My guess is that this is a bridge product and Fujitsu would be offering a new model when some of the issues regarding incorporating the new ports are sorted out.

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It does not have USB 3.0 because USB 3.0 is a gimmick at the moment and Intel does not support it yet, thus they need a separate chip, which makes everything more expensive.
    No HDMI, well, that's sad, especially because the smaller versions, T4310/T4410 do have one.

6. adretzios

I do not know why people must act as apologists for specific companies. USB 3.0 is final and there are several M/Bs with it. So is SATA 6. Both of these technologies, (and especially SATA 6) would work great with SSDs, much better than with mechanical drives. USB 3.0 can achieve right now about a 3-4x increase in performance with external disks compared to USB 2.0, if the early reviews are anything to go by. It may reach much higher levels of performance with SSDs. Now, if you do not want, it is another story but calling it a gimmick is unfair to potential buyers of these machines.

7. Frank

wohow, sorry, but I just explained why Fujitsu hasn't included it. Reason number one is that Intel does not support it yet and Fujitsu would need a separate third party chip with unforeseen possible issues. Reason number two is that almost no devices with USB 3.0 support exist yet, so it's not a high priority feature for Fujitsu yet and that's why I called it a gimmick at the moment because of the lack of external USB 3.0 devices, at the moment.

I would gladly have a USB 3.0 port on my tablet PC and I it would be great if Fujitsu added this to the T900, but as long as Intel does not support it I don't expect that a business based computer will have this port.

8. adretzios

I am not sure what you mean with "Intel is not supporting USB 3.0". Maybe you want to elaborate and explain as to why Dell has released its Precision line of laptops with USB 3.0 ....
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/05/dell-precision-m6500-gets-upgraded-with-usb-3-0-core-i5-options/
    .....and the fact that Seagate, Buffalo and others have released USB 3.0 external hard drives. There are several mobos now with USB 3.0 and a variety of addon cards for those who want to insert them to their desktop or laptop. I expect USB 3.0 to be appearing in a greater number of machines. Now, a manufacturer can be forward looking or not.

My belief is that the new T900 is a very conservative design. The word "evolutionary" does not even apply to it. It is the old T5010 with a slightly upgraded mobo.

9. Frank

NVIDIA confirms Intel chipsets won't support USB 3.0 until 2011

http://www.techspot.com/guides/235-everything-about-usb-30/
    Reason: Exclusive: Apple dictated Light Peak creation to Intel, could begin migration from other standards as early as 2010

and as you know, Fujitsu is well known for not integrating the latest unknown things in their Lifebook series, instead they continue using older but well-known ports/extensions (Firewire, PCMCIA)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. adretzios

Frank, thanks for the info. I actually do know that typical chipsets right now do not incorporate USB support, but support does indeed exist and it would be appearing in more and more laptops. I also agree that Fujitsu is not particularly innovating. Too bad!! Actually, I would be looking to have both USB 3.0 and SATA 6 in any new computer that I am going to buy right now. Although both doing much better than their predecessors with mechanical drives,they really shine with SSDs.

Let me tell you what I would have expected from Fujitsu for a replacement of the T5010 that I would have liked to purchase. A slimmer, lighter machine, incorporating SATA 6 and an SSD drive, a minimum of 2 GB DDR3 memory and a fast i-7/5 processor with USB 3.0, Displayport and HDMI 1.4. This machine can be built today!!!

Legacy ports are not that important anymore (does anybody need Firewire?). Now, that would have been a smoking tablet computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.