T5010: Screen protector on top of I/O film or replace I/O film?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Wufbam, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy

Troy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks -

I bought a Fujitsu T5010 with the indoor/outdoor screen (i.e. the glossy film on top of the screen). I'm now wondering about screen protectors... specifically the Photodon Crystal Clear anti-reflective, which seems to be similar to the I/O film in that it provides a glossy finish. If I buy the Photodon, should I apply it on top of the indoor/outdoor film, or should I remove the indoor/outdoor film first and then apply the Photodon? Or does it not really matter either way?

- Troy

2. ProgressionMurph

ProgressionMurph Pen Pal - Newbie

Good question Troy. Is the film what makes it an indoor outdoor screen or is it the film?

3. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

I use the photodon that you referenced and I placed it directly over my I/O screen. It works perfectly. I would not remove the original I/O that came with the tablet as I view it as a buffer and final layer of protection. I know that if I was to get one little scratch on the actual screen, it would bother me to no end.

4. svm

svm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I recently placed an order for my T5010 with multitouch. I was wondering if you guys can recommend any vendors whos the sell the photodon screen protectors at a REASONABLE Price.

Thanks

5. svm

svm Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, is there any special cleaner to clean the screen photodon on it or will any standard monitor screen cleanser will work?

I found one vendor for it, but I think they are a little too expensive? Unless its a standard price that I'm unaware of.

Photodon Crystal View

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Scribbler - Standard Member

7. svm

svm Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks EricshMerick,

So a few things.

1) Photodon crystal film is certainly worth the investment in your opinion? :confused:

2) Do you recommend ordering the cleansing kit along with it? Or any other type of cleansing solution? Any specific ones? or any LCD screen cleaner would be fine?:confused:

3) Where did you order yours from? I'm hoping they ship to Canada at a decent price. The link that I posted above, they are charging $27 in shipping only!!?!?! That's insane. :(

4) You'd recommend a custom cut? 310mm x 188mm? What's wrong with ordering the original one? Again, I'd like to know where can I get it from?

5) After putting on the Crystal Clear firm, I saw in the pictures that your screen pretty much looks like a mirror? Does it become a problem using the screen after that? (Indoor/Outdoor?) Has the viewing angle gone down from from 160 degrees (in your opinion)?

Thanks for your help.

8. Wufbam

Wufbam Pen Pal - Newbie

The extra money you're paying for the indoor-outdoor screen goes towards a factory installed antireflective film. It scratches easily, and if you're going to remove it or cover it with another protector that doesn't preserve those premium optical properties, you're kinda wasting your money.

Depends on your needs. The Photodon Crystal Clear is one of the best and lowest priced AR films on the market. However, there are reports of it not working so well with multitouch. :(

Honestly, I don't think the cleaning kit is worth it. It adds a lot to the shipping bulk and doesn't give you anything you can't get cheaper at the local pharmacy. Just clean your screen with weak isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.

As far as I know, Photodon is a small, home-based business without big box distribution channels. You order directly from Don, and he cuts them to spec. The screen protectors themselves are quite inexpensive. (Consider that, by comparison, you're paying something on the order of $100 for the one Fujitsu installs at the factory.)

The shipping costs to Canada (not to mention the taxes) do really suck. I saved myself the trouble by having someone in Detroit receive my order and forward it from Windsor. If that sort of thing isn't an option for you, then the added costs may indeed become prohibitive. You might want to consider competitors with fulfillment centres north of the border instead (e.g. Clarivue).

Their default T5010 cut fits fine.

Both Fujitsu's and Photodon's AR films are glossy and mirrorlike. It's barely noticeable when the screen is actually on and really only an issue when there are bright light sources above or behind you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.