T5010 questions (weight+keyboard+screen+heat)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by adretzios, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. euquility

euquility Pen Pal - Newbie

I was just wondering how heavy does the T5010 feel in your hand with the weight saver, is it possible to hold with one hand or against your knee while writing with the other?

Also umm how bad is the edge inking? I have seen videos but I dont know exactly where the "edge" begins

Also the white keyboard seems very prone to wear, do the keys wear out really fast?

I know the T5010 has some heat issues but I was wondering what everyone else feels? Also in general do you feel is it more due to the CPU or HD? Im planning on switching out the HD for a lower power consumption (and hopefully cooler) HD also so yeah was just curious

I know its a lot of questions eh and I really appreciate any answers I can get.

2. tablet noob

tablet noob Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I only just got mine but...

Heavy in the hand, not really. With the battery bay module in it gets tiring a fair amount quicker thats for sure.

Edge inking - I have no basis to compare but its not great - that said I don't write on the edge. You would need to slow down considerably if you want to get something useful from the edge. I would define that edge at around a centimeter and change around the edge of the screen.

I have not had it long enough to comment on the keys wearing out but I doubt it to be honest.

On the heat issue - I have not really noticed it. The left side palm rest area is a little warmer but nothing 'hot' by any stretch of the imagination. I think the cpu is up at the top right so that means that it would be where I think the hd is. I am not sure. To be honest, I have not found it to be an 'issue' at all.

3. euquility

euquility Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm thanks a lot for the response

1 centimeter eh

Yeah obviously im not trying to write on the edgeb but I was worried and how large this "edge is" 1 cm sounds very reasonable

just wondering, what do you think of the screen and what version do you have? I heard the screen looks great but the pictures in the reviews here make the screen look like it has a blue tint/"cool" (vs warm) feel to it

4. tablet noob

The screen looks very nice. Sharp, great viewing angle. I have not color calibrated it with my eye1display usb thingy.

It seems to be a very solid notebook. My concerns and issues currently are on getting it to work well as a tablet - you can see my thread on Lightroom and Photoshop and me not being able to line up the cursor with the pen. I am trying to chase down a fix. If it can get working, it will be great but at the moment I have to admit I wish this had been much simpler to date and that I had probably thought a little bit longer about actually getting a tablet. Kinks like what I have run into should have been something from 5 years ago, not a current and modern tablet/notebook straight out of the box.

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Scribbler - Standard Member

Edge inking: yes, it gets a bit 'coarse' about 1cm from the edge. Not a big problem though as I don't ink edge to edge.

Heat: not a problem, gets a little warm but definitely not 'hot' in any sense.

My keyboard is black, but doesn't show any signs of looking like it'll wear out quickly.

Weight is fine (I have the DVD burner module in my bay), easy to hold one handed. I tend to lean it on my thigh with the top edge against the desk when inking.

Other comments: haven't had any issues with this tablet apart from video tearing, which isn't a showstopper and might be a Vista issue (see my other thread). Overall it's a great tablet and I find it so easy to use that my desktop PC is sadly starting to gather dust!

I would highly recommend it unless you like to listen to music through laptop speakers, as they aren't very powerful.

6. tablet noob

Agree on the speaker comment. They are grim. I have the settings to max and things are just not nearly as audible as you would want. Granted, I am not expecting my home stereo here but still, they could use some beefing up.

edit - and now that I have the tablet functionality issues worked out (via driver upgrade) I have to say I like it a LOT. Just yesterday I used it in a way I had not even visualized. I am buying something and they require a signed purchase order. So I take their pdf, use the snapshot tool and 'copy' it, paste it into Photoshop, sign it with the pen, save it and then send it back. I mean dang, that was cool! I hope more of that type of stuff comes up over time.

7. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

First of all, a 4 lb notebook is not really the best solution if you would be using it mostly as a slate. Buy a dedicate slate for this. If the machine rests against your knees, it is easy to manipulate in slate mode.

I agree with others that in XP and Vista, it is difficult to have lots of accuracy about 1 cm around the edges of the screen. However, in Win7, the calibration utility is far more intensive around this section and produces better results. This is not to say that you would need to install Win7 now. It would be available in the fall for purchase.

I have seen no problems with the keyboard. Keep it clean, however.

The machine does not run hot at all. In fact, it generates very little heat even after prolonged use. I do not know where you have heard about heat issues, but I have noticed none. In fact, it is one of the coolest laptops that I have used.

I agree that the speakers are weak but I do not care to use this machine for accurate sound anyway. One area that is problematic, is the bluetooth implementation in that machine. It is one of the weirdest that I have encountered. I hope that it is fixed some day.