t5010 palm rest heat not from hard drive?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by bait, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

hello all. i've had my t5010 since november and i've loved it. but now it's really warming up and the heat on the left palm rest is become more bothersome than before. so i changed my hard drive to one that produces less heat, but it didn't really make a difference. as an experiment i ran the computer for awhile without a hard drive, and the heat produced was pretty much the same. this would suggest that the heat is not really from the hard drive. of course it could be and i used to think it was from the cpu, but that's really under the keyboard area so i don't think that would be it. (interestingly enough that area isn't bad at all)
    is it possible that the motherboard or some circuitry under the palm rest emanates that much heat? i mean some people notice no heat on their t5010 correct? what could be the difference there? does anyone have any suggestions about anything?
    the temp in my room is around 25 deg celsius by the way.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the past it was a missing heat shield. There's a thread about this issue:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=21540

So it's possible that you also have to send your T5010 to Fujitsu so they can repair your T5010.
    I don't know if this is correct, but according to some pictures I saw, it seems as if the chipset is located below the palm rest, and if a heat shield is missing then it can get fairly hot there :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. tablet noob

tablet noob Pen Pal - Newbie

I must have been fortunate as there really is only a bit of incremental heat on the left hand side. With so much discussion on this maybe it is a heat shield issue. Maybe older ones didn't have it put on as standard?

4. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

yea i thought about that. that was one of my main concerns before i bought it. but the heat really didn't seem all that bad even under stress, so i thought i did have the heat shield. but then that was winter time.
    anyway, i mustered enough courage today and took my t5010 apart...or enough to see in between the keyboard and the motherboard. this heat shield we're talking about...is it metal? i do see the chipset (northbridge? southbridge? one of those i assume?) and i'm sure that's what causes the heat. there is a black sheet of some sort covering half of the chip, but the other half is exposed. however, if this is the shield we're talking about, then i do have it on. if not, then i'm probably about to do something really stupid, because i bought a few cooling items from my local geek shop here in japan to see if i can exterminate this heat. unless someone chimes in with DON'T DO IT i'm going to go ahead with it. i'll report the results later.
    by the way i'll post pictures and steps on how i got this thing opened if anyone is interested.

5. Frank

i have no clue how the heat shield will look like. So best is you post those pictures, and then we can tell you better if this looks like something which could be a heat shield :)

6. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

ok that big black sheet up front is what i suspect to be the heat shield. does it look like it to you?

Attached Files:

7. Frank

yes, that could be the heat shield, but is this really the location where the tablet gets hot.
    This heatshield is placed above the southbridge (front left chip)
    I rather thought that the northbridge (middle left with the small die and the yellowish transparent thing around it) gets that hot, because this chip also contains the graphics card. I just don't understand how they cool the southbridge. But well.

If the palm rest gets hot where the heat shield is located, then I have no clue what you could do.
    Where do you intend to mount the 'cooling items'?
    You could insert and additional heat shield!? If they already place a heatshield above this IC, then a second shouldn't hurt.

8. tablet noob

tablet noob Pen Pal - Newbie

Modding 2000 dollar notebooks, I love it! Keep up the good work and let us know how it works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.