t5010 Modular Bay Battery question

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by mmccord, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

My demo t5010 is on the way, but I have a question in the meantime (I am the curious type). Does the modular bay battery discharge in parallel with the main battery, or does it discharge down to 0% first, then start discharging the main battery?

Our old Fujitsus discharge in parallel, and I would rather they didn't. Our users are very mobile and don't get a chance to charge the batteries in the computer except at night. We use standalone chargers for the batteries so it would be preferable to keep the main battery charged and discharge only the bay battery. Otherwise the main battery ends up dead by the end of the day.

We have an HP tablet that works this way and it is very convenient.

2. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

I have at T5010 with the modular battery and I there is no real way of telling the rate and mode of discharge. It appears that it is parallel, as the system is tracking all sources of power at the same time and presents the user with a single number. However, this does not mean that one is limited by it. You can work on the system until the main battery has almost drained and then insert the additional battery. The computer will continue functioning, drawing power mainly from the additional battery. Although I have gotten the additional battery, I am not sure the T5010 really needs it. The single battery on board manages to run the tablet decently for more than 4 hours. I am sure that the number will decline as the tablet ages, but battery life for this laptop is exceptional.

3. mmccord

Our users work 8-12 hour shifts and the tablet is in constant use (they also don't like turning the screen brightness down too much). Windows doesn't show the batteries individually? I know we *can* work when they discharge in parallel, but it's more convenient for us to kill the bay battery first because then they can fully discharge it and swap to a new one off the charger without draining their main battery.

What happens otherwise, is both batteries get down near where the computer is going into standby before they swap the bay battery, and then they only have 50% battery life showing because the main battery is dead.

4. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

I understand your problem and I have not investigated it in that fine a grain since I do not have the requirements that you do. The easy way would be to call Fujitsu and discuss this issue directly with their representatives

5. mmccord

Well, I have already ordered a unit to test out. I will have it next week.

c2d 2.8,4gb, and an intel x25-m on the way to put in it. :) Will update this thread with the info on the battery after I've gotten a chance to test it out.

6. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

The batteries are consumed in parallel (a very close approximation to it). I will notice up to a 5% difference as my batteries go down. I can see how it could be useful to use the bay as the main battery and keep the attached main as secondary. [that's what I call a confusing sentence].

7. mmccord

Thanks for the info. It is unfortunate, but will not keep us from buying these if they meet our needs otherwise. Are you aware of any brands/models that allow this as a setting or option?

8. mmccord

Our new tablet arrived last week and I was able to test it thoroughly. Just posting to confirm that what you stated was correct.

Both batteries deplete simultaneously. When the tablet is plugged in, the main battery charges first. Once that is charged, it begins charging the modular bay battery. This is slightly different than the 4210's in that they charge both batteries simultaneously.

9. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

The most frustrating thing about this is that it is probably something that can be adjusted with some hacking or change in the bios etc.

10. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It discharges both batteries simultaneously to extend the batteries life.

But yes, they could have made it a bit more professional, like discharging the modular bay battery to maybe 30%, then discharging the main battery to 30%, then discharging both simultaneously. But I don't know if that system is better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.