T5010 Heat and HDD

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by mistah_g, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistah_g

mistah_g Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I have been having some "heat issues" with the T5010 for some time now. I know that it is quite common for the left-sided palm rest to become quite warm. I have experienced this and it was becoming quite irritating. I ended up undervolting my CPU and that has helped a little bit, but I would still like to rid my tablet of this heat as much as possible.

It seems that the HDD may be the problem. Currently my HDD temp is sitting at 48 degrees (which SpeedFan marks as hot) while my CPUs are at 42/44 after undervolt. I also seem to feel some sort of movement (spinning) under my wrist (very slight but I can still feel it) so this makes me think that it may be the HDD.

Would someone be able to comment on whether the HDD is located in this position? I couldn't seem to find it in Fujitsu's manual. I am actually interested in knowing if people who have replaced the standard 5400 rpm HDD with an SSD have noticed an improvement with the temperature issue.

I love this tablet but the heat issue is starting to irritate me as I begin to use the tablet for extended periods of time. It doesn't help that I already have quite bad wrists. I am willing to buy an SSD if it does solve the problem -- as there are many other benefits of an SSD and I was thinking of one already, just I shouldn't be spending so much money again -- but if it does not and I cannot solve this, I may end up selling this thing at the end of this school year.

Thanks!

2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello,

Have you seen this thread? :)

If you turned your T5010 upside-down, you should see Windows CoA, that's the location of the HDD.

I haven't try putting SS on my T5010, but theoretically since there's no mechanical moving part, it should produce less heat.

Well SSD does have several benefits over HDD; higher speed & access time, requiring less power and you can say goodbye to the ticking noise.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. mistah_g

mistah_g Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah yes, thank you for that. That is exactly below the palm rest, it seems. So perhaps this really is the fault of the HDD?

Can someone with an SSD comment on this please?

4. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Mistah,

Most likely it's the HDD, It'd be assuring though, if someone who have replaced their stock HDD could comment.

Actually I also had several heat issues with T5010 (and believe me they're a lot lot worse :) ). Took my T5010 to service centre, returned and got the temperature decreased at least 10 degree, but still.. my 'repaired' T5010 temp. is still about 10 degree hotter than your present T5010 with 'issues'.

I'm quite curious to compare your case with mine,

Could you tell what is your ambient temperature?
    Also what's your CPU temp. before undervolting?
    Do you have T-series or P-series processor?
    and the last, do you have Fujitsu-Siemens (Europe) or just Fujitsu (other countries) build?

5. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

i posted about this before because i experienced the same issues and desperately wanted to rid the heat. i even disassembled the laptop to confirm there was indeed a heat shield and also if there was anything i could do about it. you can read my threads here and here.

basically what i found, at least on my particular machine, was that the heat wasn't really caused by the hard drive, but more by the southbridge chip. and while i initially felt that my "mod" yielded positive results, in the long run it didn't help. still i went out and bought an SSD since then to reduce heat producing items underneath the palm rest (and for the performance). the results are pretty much the same however. with ambient temps of around 78 deg F, the left palm rest sits around 98-100 deg F, measured with an IR thermometer. but at least i don't have to worry about a hot hard drive (previous HDD got as high as 52 F under normal usage) and the boost in speed is undeniable.

perhaps you should just sit at the BIOS screen for about 30 min without a hard drive and see if the heat is improved.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.