T5010 constant disc access

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by adretzios, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leerraum

leerraum Pen Pal - Newbie

hi,

is it normal that a t5010 accesses the hdd all the time? even when I boot it up and don't touch it, it fires disk calls...

it's not the windows index service, I turned it off. Any other suggestions?

leerraum

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, it is. At least, it is if you have the Vista Business version. Vista has been designed to do a lot of hard disk accessing for a variety of tasks.

If you want to change this, install Windows 7 RC. In Windows 7, MS cut down substantially the hard disk access of the OS. As I had Vista Business and now I run Windows 7 RC on this system, I can tell you that this is indeed so. Bringing your memory to 4 GB would also assist in reducing hard disk access.

4. acals

acals Pen Pal - Newbie

Whats the advantage of 4 GB? I thought memory in a 32-bit OS was limited to 3.2 or something? Or do you mean up from 1 or 2 GB?

5. johnsoex

johnsoex Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. Im running RC7 and the battery life is much improved over XP and vista. MS may have finally gotten something right this time.

6. leerraum

leerraum Pen Pal - Newbie

hi,
    thanks for the replies.

I'm running XP on this machine, no Vista. Never ever. Tried it on my other machine, it was broken after two weeks of driver searching and failure struggling. never again vista.

I'll check this process monitor thing and take a look at the HDD. It's realy strange, I have this 4 GB memory, but the hdd is clicking every second.

7. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, there is nothing wrong about Vista if you have the drivers and Fujitsu has full Vista drivers for the T5010. If you had Vista, it would have been easy to discover what was accessing your hard disk because the task monitor utility is so much better. Actually, Win7 fully retains it and enhances it a bit.

Having said this, it is difficult to guess what is going on with your hard disk. If you have "automatic updates" set to on, then there is a possibility that your system is updating itself in the background as MS recently released a number of whole number of patches and updates. On the bad side, your computer may have been taken over and has become a "zombie" accessing other computers!!! Who knows! To find out, run a utility that examines ongoing processes and there are lots of them.

There is simply too many things that can be going on. For example, if your browser is Firefox, it updates itself in the background and recently Firefox released version 3.11. So, do some detective work. If you find a process that accesses the hard disk a lot (and Vista's utility can ferret this out), google it and find out what it is. You can on from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.