T4220 v T2010 for sweet silence?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by jimdab, Mar 23, 2008.

1. shoebox9

shoebox9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Folks,

I suffer from a medical hearing issue- tinnitus triggered by fan (and even h/d) noise. My desktop box is through a wall, and I'm after a totally silent tablet (during reading/study) to compliment this. (I'd swap in a SSD)

Should I buy: T2010? From threads I've been able to find here, it seems this guy runs fanless during low CPU tasks :) but is very loud if you do tax it.

Or T4220 with Penryn? The Penryn version is listed on the Australian site and should be available here in 3-4 weeks according to vendors. Heat output with the Penryns is supposedly >50% less than the same Intel CPU clockspeed at 65nm, which is simply amazing.

If the current T4220s with their performance/battery controls cranked right down can almost run low CPU tasks without fan now ????? I'd choose this. QUESTION: Can they???

Thanks in advance :)

2. rnode

rnode Pen Pal - Newbie

An ssd should help a good deal. The optical drive in the T4220 will spin up at times and the machine will be noisier as a result with the optical drive inserted, so the 2010 might be bettter as it does not have a builtin optical drive. You can put a blank in the T4220 I believe, which would give you the same result.

As for fan noise, I recall seeing a thread where some were able to reduce fan noise, I thought it was the Vista sp1 thread, but after checking again, it wasn't. Maybe, I was dreaming. I'll check my bookmarked threads and see if I can find it.

Someone with a T4220 will have to comment on how well they clock down and reduce fan noise. It seems to me, that unless you really want the most battery life possible and a somewhat lighter/smaller tablet, the T4220 is probably your best bet. This comes from someone who bought the T2010 :) ... but battery life and small size were high priorities for me.

3. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have NEVER heard my T2010 fan run. It's a very quiet machine IMO.

4. mederis

mederis Pen Pal - Newbie

If you want absolutely no fan, T4220 is probably not for you. When I bought it about half a year ago, it was the only combination high res screen / high power cpu tablet there was. I think it might still be. The trade off is that it's not absolutely silent, and battery is average. In Power Saver mode it's very quiet, but if you put your head near the laptop, you can hear the low hiss of the fan. In High Performance, of course it's very noticeable. There's also a "whining/buzzing" sound that comes from the cpu in High Performance when you're running on battery, but apparently that's a T7700 issue common to all laptops with that cpu. If anything would trigger your tinnitus, I would think that would do it! It doesn't bother me much anymore (and while on battery I'm usually on Power Saver anyway), but initially that really annoyed me because it's a high pitched sound.

Maybe the Penryns will improve this.

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

There's a setting in the T4200 series BIOS where you can switch the fan setting from "Normal" to "Quiet". I'm still experimenting, but I hardly hear the fan on this setting, but it was slightly noticeable on the normal mode setting -- at least it doesn't sound like my old laptop that sounds like a jet engine when idling! :D

I agree with mederis that with Power Saver the fan is quiet, even when on Balanced mode -- however these are my observations with the fan on "Silent" mode.

Yes, the T4200 series has a "weight saver" that rnode is describing where you can remove the optical drive and put that in, or a modular bay battery for extra battery life.

6. phuoc

phuoc Pen Pal - Newbie

i have the t4220 on normal mode and also put in under full load during games^^ as far as i can tell, yes u can hear the fan but for me its very silent. if u would have something like that for full upgraded desktop pc, hell i would buy it :) as comparison, the harddisk is louder than the fan, but the fan isnt completely silent, its a fan ^^.

have to correct myself...100% cpu load for more than 10mins results in a remarkable noise, not rly loud but definitely too loud for u. so if u dont stress the system the t4220 is fine for u, otherwise better listen to the 2010 users.

7. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think both machines are equivalent loud.
    The T4220 gets hot, the T2010 is only warm.

It's like you already said. If you don't stress it and it isn't connected to an AC-Adapter, then it is silent. But if it is connected to an AC-Adapter, then the fan kicks more often on even while not doing some CPU intensive stuff.

8. shoebox9

I think that's mainly a yes to total silence on the T4220 (my prefered option) IF I swtich the optical drive for a battery, and keep it on battery while reading- all with "silent mode" selected in BIOS, the CPU underclocked (if that's possible), and nothing too hungry running ???

(Sadly "very quiet" isn't enough to keep my ears from ringing at night- it needs to be dead silent. Traffic noise is fine, but not constant medium/high pitched sounds.)

Some say yes, some say no ? Is the T2010 my only really safe bet?
    (BTW, thanks a heap.)

9. shoebox9

Hi Mederis,

Are you sure it's the fan noise you're hearing, and not the H/D? When it's cold it should run with fan off for a while (and only make the h/d whoosh noise). My question is when going all out, how long will the fan stay off?

This is a great forum BTW. You tablet guys are really interesting and I'm looking forward to joining your ranks. :)

10. powowcow

powowcow Tablet PC Lover

[​IMG]
    Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Headphones

Sweet silence indeed!

11. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You need a passive cooled tablet, and one passive cooled convertible I know is the Panasonic Toughbook CF-16. Full Ruggedized and fanless :D That's your tablet ;)

12. shoebox9

I only need a notebook/tablet to be silent when reading, web browsing, etc. I'm about to start p/time study. An SSD will fix H/D noise, and I'm happy for the CPU fan to fire up if I briefly opened Photoshop or something similar.

From what you guys are saying, the T2010 will do all this. What I'm really keen to find out is if a clocked down T4220 will as well.

13. shoebox9

LOL! I'm wearing a industrial -35db ear muffs while I type this on my T41. It can run without it's CPU fan all day, but the SSD I bought for it wasn't compatible and I'd really love a Tablet.

Yes, I could also use special ear plugs with tiny speakers in them (ie Etymotic ER-4Ps) or closed headphones that offer some noise isolation.

It would be nicer however, to just sit in bed and read from a Tablet without a fan needing to kick in.

14. microbot

microbot Pen Pal - Newbie

15. powowcow

powowcow Tablet PC Lover

My fan doesn't bother me, maybe I'm odd.

16. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

A simple search for penryn heat resulted in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5098299
    It's a macbook and not a fujitsu but from what I can see it won't be the be all and end all solution for heat and fan noise. It's still probably going to depend on what kind of apps you are going to run on it.

On my T2010, the fan rarely ever goes on when the AC plug is removed, the problem is when it is plugged in. I have a external battery for it and when it's charging the fan comes on and it's not even hot, in fact it never got beyond warm. I would like Fujitsu to make a silent option for the T2010 because I sure wouldn't mind if it got a little warmer. It's so annoying because every time I start inking the fan would go on.

17. shoebox9

You mean when it's plugged in?

Also, do you mean the external battery charger? I wasn't aware of external battery options.

18. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

There are some 3rd party external battery options for sure. I have one.

19. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi shoebox9,

I'm bringing the PM you sent me here because I think this will help others who are looking for the same answer as you. :)

With the fan on silent mode ,as set in the BIOS settings, on Power Saver or Balanced Mode while running on the battery, I do not hear the fan. However, I was figuring out what the slight "haaa" sound was since the fan wasn't expelling any heat. After a few minutes dabbling at Vista's power options, I found out that it is the hard drive platter spinning at 5,400 RPM. So, I set the hard drive to spin down after a minute and the T4220 is dead silent -- save for the slight processor whine. For the record, it took quite some time for the hard drive to spin down when on Balanced or High Performance mode!

Running on AC power, at Power Saver mode I do not hear the fan running, and barely any heat is being dispelled, however the hard drive can be heard, when the hard drive spins down it's almost just about the same. On Balanced mode, when the computer is idling, it's just as the same as Power Saver mode. High Performance, however, the fan is kicking in and, with the hard drive platters spinning, it sounds like those quiet 120mm fans found in desktops. I could not, however, get the hard drive to spin down on this mode.

To make a horrible apples vs. oranges comparison: the T4220 is much quieter than my Dell (Basic Dimension) desktop -- when I got that I thought it was the quietest computer I've had -- the loudest would be my old HP Compaq laptop with the annoying "jet engine" fan even when idling. :D

20. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

My T4220 fan definately spins up loud in the middle of the night when i leave the laptop on "high performance." I only leave it on when doing computer software maintenance tasks (virus/adware scan, defrag, etc.). If I leave it on power saver" mode it is generally quiet as it never gets to a temperature where it needs the fan to spin fast.

I would imagine that any ULV processor would run quieter though. Furthermore AMD has the actual quietest processors but they generally perform slower. Do some research as I bet there is a lot out there.