T4220 Turbo Memory

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by bmorison, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The last I knew of this (End of June) was new machines for Fujitsu Siemens with Turbo should be shipping in Europe end of Oct.
    New machines for Fujitsu should be mid Sep.

Existing machines ~ there was still debate on this but it is hoped returning the machines for a modification would result in an upgrade.
    The cost however would be borne by the owner.

Edit: Problems are to do with Intel & Microsoft.

2. odinalpha

odinalpha M200, T4220

Thanks, P8RSON.

So given that you can purchase Turbomemory cards for $25, would it be possible to install them yourself too (ignoring the fact that you are probably voiding any warranty)?

3. billb1234

billb1234 Pen Pal - Newbie

Dang - looks like Fujitsu's release date for Turbo Memory just got pushed back -- sometime over the last two days the Turbo Memory section in the "Tech Specs" for the T4220 changed from "(Available after August 2007)" to "(Available after November 2007)". <sigh>

So now the question becomes "Do I wait until November and see if the Turbo Memory comes along with a refresh of the T4220 hardware (or a new T4225 model), or just get a T4220 now and hope I can install TM later?"

Note: I've now actually seen the benefits of Turbo Memory first hand in a completely "apples-to-apples" comparison while configuring three completely identical (or so I thought) Lenovo T61 laptops. Turns out that one was accidentally ordered with Turbo Memory (completely unbeknownst to me), while two others were not. Although the performance improvements weren't earth-shattering, in certain instances the machine with Turbo Memory did boot enough faster and ran certain things enough faster that I started looking into why these seemingly-identical machines were performing slightly differently. (Of course, having read about all the problems with turbo memory on the X61T's, although I'm going to leave turbo memory on on this laptop, I'll also warn the user about possibly needing to disable it if she starts seeing BSOD's.)

- Bill

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I personally wouldn't do it odinalpha.
    Besides opening up your machine you may still end up with problems.

Thanks for the update. I missed that. :)

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

You'd have to remove the keyboard, and it may be accessible there, there should be an empty slot somewhere that would fit the TurboMemory card. If not, it's probably hidden elsewhere and one would have to remove the LCD display, the frame, etc.

Keep in mind that your warranty will void if you do attempt to remove the LCD display and the Tablet frame. The keyboard to just check underneath is debatable, but I don't believe it will void the warranty, if you're very careful. Just remember: when you do try to move the keyboard out of its space from not just yanking it out, there's a very delicate ZIF (zero insertion force; a.k.a it does not take tens of pounds of pressure to insert) data ribbon that is on the bottom of the keyboard connected to the motherboard of the system. Take great caution by slowly removing the popping the top of the connector (should be white) up, then slide the ribbon out connector out of the slot if you need to remove the keyboard entirely to see the innards of the Tablet PC.

7. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

SimsHsia, thanks for the info. I'd be willing to crack the case open if someone could confirm that there's a free PCI-E slot in my T4210. I haven't downloaded the manual yet, but the specs on the Fujitsu site don't mention PCI-E for the T4210 or even the T4220, although I'm sure the T4220 already has PCI-E since it will come with Turbo Memory installed soon.

8. technocrateus

technocrateus Pen Pal - Newbie

For any of you who have had first hand experience with turbo memory in a T42xx machine, can you describe in more detail which area did you see a performance boost in and how much? The boost mostly be visible during startup or recovery from standby or is there an improvement in general function (less hang ups?) Also, has anyone noticed a reduced battery life with it? Thanks in advance!

9. odinalpha

odinalpha M200, T4220

As far as I know, there are no T4220's with Turbomemory yet. If there were, it would have to be "self installed", seeing that you can't order them from Fujitsu yet. (Not until at least December 2007, which might be a new model.)

You might want to check out the Lenovo forum to read the (horror) stories they have had with Turbomemory, which is probably why Fujitsu is being so reluctant to deploy tablets with that option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.