t4220 sxga??

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kureshii, Jun 7, 2007.

1. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

It seems to be the T4210 all over again, with the SXGA+ screen available only for project-based needs (see my post about the T4210 & SXGA+ almost a year ago, here).
    If you take a look at the T4220 tech specs, it says the following:

Thus, it appears that it's available only for corporations, as oneloton explains on the next page of that thread I linked above, to order with the SXGA+ option. If the trend continues as it did like the T4210 and the T4215, perhaps the T4225 will have the SXGA+ screen option. The 90-day lead time, however, is new to me, anyone care to explain this? Seems to me that there's a 3 month wait for the SXGA+ or a 3 month lease?

2. Castolom

Castolom Pen Pal - Newbie

You are absolutely right, SimsHsia. It's a T4210/T4215 situation de ja vue all over again. T4210 was released a year ago with teh SXGA+ resolution available for large orders only (100-200+ units) with the eta of 90+ days (a veeeery special build.) T4215 was released 3-5 months later with the SXGA+ option available to everybody. I bet T4220 will be the same case. Something like T4225 will come out in 3-5 months from now and finally everybody will be able to order SXGA+ screen. Anyway, noticed the trend that people who ordered T4220 with SXGA+ screens are now placing orders with T4215 with SXGA+, which is still available (we have some of them in stock.)

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

I am terribly disappointed to put it lightly. Thank you Armen for providing us with this information; as bad as the news is, it is appreciated. This is a shame because I was very much looking forward to owning this notebook.

Edit: Now that I have thought about this issue for a while, I have decided I am not going to settle for an XGA screen. I need more real estate than the XGA resolution offers and I know that if I go with it I will not be satisfied.

As of right now when I get the call I am going to pull the plug on the T4220 and order myself a ThinkPad X61 tablet. It has the SXGA+ screen option and is based on the Santa Rosa platform, which is what I want. The lack of an internal optical drive isn't a big deal and although the processor is LV, from what I have seen the performance should still be quite good. Anything is an improvement over my Pentium M.

4. ThreeToedSloth

ThreeToedSloth Pen Pal - Newbie

That really is a shame... I hope they have good economical reasoning behind this decision, as I think many customers will be doing what Chaz is doing. I guess I'll have to hold out and cross my fingers that a T4225 comes out before September (assuming Castolom's prediction is true)... if not, I may be doing the same.

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Based on the T4210 and T4215 release gap, for reference, the T4210 was released in June 2006, the T4215 in November 2006; thus a five month gap between the two models. My guess is that the T4225 will follow the same November release, with some word of it or word of the T4225 passing FCC inspection in October 2007. However, this could be proven wrong if Fujitsu releases in earlier in the year, like late September or early October 2007.

I think one of the reasons why Fujitsu disallowed the SXGA+ screen option is either because: 1.) the Santa Rosa platform motherboards are new, thus Fujitsu has yet to have a good stock pile of them; or 2.) they have a limited amount of SXGA+ screens, thus they are ordering more but it will take the manufacturer(s) creating those screens some time to manufacture and ship; thus any Fujitsu T model with a "5" at the end will indicate SXGA+ is available for that model. Thus, most likely the T4225 will have the SXGA+ screen available based on the history of Fujitsu's T4200 series line.

My prediction on the possible release date of the T4225 is simply a prediction, but anywhere from Late September - November would be my guess.

6. koss

koss Pen Pal - Newbie

O U C H

That's gonna hurt, especially since I REALLY need to receive mine by 22nd. What a disappointment! Thanks Armen for explaining the situation. I see my order has been cancelled at Laptop Authority already :( Even if I were to go with XGA screen, I don't see a comparable configuration in their listing. This is a major let-down and I know it's not the fault of Laptop Authority.

Now, I need to consider if I should go with Lenovo X61t instead.. ugh!!!

7. BenI

BenI Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow.
    This really pisses me off alot. Good job Fujistu!!
    The thing that really makes me mad is they let something like this go by them... It still says on the website in specs that it will have a SXGA!
    November? I simply can't wait that long... Im leaving the country for a year in August.
    I guess I will have to start considering the X61...
    does anyone know how the performance of the X61 compares to the T4220?
    And is lenovo still having problems shipping their laptops and horrible support from what i've heard?

Gah... I just can't belive Fujitsu is doing this.

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

I haven't received any calls or emails yet (I would prefer a phone call) and my order is still estimated to ship on the 15th. I'm hoping I get what I ordered but I know that is not going to happen . . . I'm not going to harp on this anymore.
    Their performance should be similar but the T4220 definitely has the advantage over the X61 because it has the standard Core 2 Duo with 1.8 - 2.4GHz speeds. The X61 has a Low Voltage (LV) Core 2 Duo L7500 which is according to Intel's website, a 1.6GHz chip with a 4MB L2 cache and an 800MHz FSB. From what I have observed with the last gen of Core Duos/Core 2 Duos, the performance of the LV parts is about equal to the performance of the similarly-clocked regular voltage parts. So a 1.6GHz LV Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa) = 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa) more or less.

I plan to look more into the performance of the LV Core (2) Duos. At present I use a 1.86GHz Pentium M with Windows Vista and it just chokes . . . now I'm stuck on it for another few weeks at least. I have been waiting well over a year for a dual-core machine and now this situation comes up after I *finally* place an order.

To those of you who ordered a T4220 or were planning to with the SXGA+ screen, what are you going to do? The only alternative I see right now is the Lenovo X61 if you want an SXGA+ screen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. BenI

BenI Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I have decided to acutally wait a year.
    I would not be happy with an XGA screen, and the X61t just doesnt do it for me...

Another reason for this is in 2 years, im going to Israel for a year first, i will be going to a private art school for graphic design. and i am visiting my top choices in a few weeks, and on the top of my list is MCAD which requires apple computers (eww)... and maybe a year from now apple will have a tablet.

10. koss

koss Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm most likely going to get either T4220 XGA, or just go with Lenovo X61 SXGA+, if Lenovo can deliver in a reasonable timeframe.

I just don't understand. The LCD portion of T4220 - infact, the whole upper-portion of the tablet - should contain NO changes from T4215. They should be able to just rip the hinge off T4215 and attach the screen on T4220 and it should work! What's the reason for this delay? This would leave a very bitter taste in my mouth and VERY negative image of Fujitsu on me... I'm getting madder by the minutes! :mad: