T4220 screen better than X61T screen?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by P8RSON, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtDirtbag

SgtDirtbag Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still not quite sure which tablet I should buy, X61T or T4220.
    It's gonna be one of them and it should have SXGA, that's for sure.

One moment, I'm leaning towards the T4220 because of its faster processor, but then I think,
    maybe it won't matter that much and anyway, the simplistic business design of the X61T is much more appealing to me.
    I don't know why, but something in my head tells me that silver + super round corners = cheap.
    (I know it's not true, don't kill me P8RSON... please)

That internal dialogue (yes, dialogue, not monologue... buying hardware drives me crazy)
    goes on and on about every small detail and I change my opinion at least 5 times per hour.

The problem is that these two machines are so extremely similar to each other that it's hard to find some real killer arguments.

After reading as many topics about x61t vs. t4220 as one person can take I'm missing some hands on
    information about the screens.

I've read, mainly from P8RSON and Tiffany, that the T4220 has the better screen and I would have loved to
    see some more coverage on this topic in the T4220 review.
    A simple opinion won't help me, as much as I appreciate them, especially when there's a photo in the review that contradicts that opinion.
    I know that Tiffany said the picture is misleading and that the T4220 screen REALLY is better, but that's not very helpful without hard evidence
    to judge how much of difference there is. : (

Since I don't have the opportunity to see these machines in person
    (and I can't just order them and send them back if I don't like it, damn expensive overseas shipping),
    I'm interested in any "evidence" that you guys can come up with.
    Screen comparisons, technical data like contrast, brightness and so on.

Well, since the screen is about the most important piece of a tabletpc,
    and if the difference is really THAT big, this might turn the tide in favor of the T4220.

edit: of fu'kin great. Just read that Asus announced their Santa Rosa version of the R1F, called R1E today. ARGH!
    That's not making my life much easier.. *grmbl*

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. mig174

mig174 Scribbler - Standard Member

are you sure t4220 has SXGA+??

3. Michael-P

Michael-P Pen Pal - Newbie

i neither can choose between one of the three...

X61t
    pros:
    multitouch(do i need it or just want it???),trackstick(i liked it on my libretto),black keyboard(really like it),overall design(not round enough),battery life,ports(nice positions),battery(balnaced weight?)

cons:bezel problem,screen brightness(extra touchsreenlayer)

t4220
    pros:
    stronger processor(possible to undervolt???>>longer battery life?),dvd burner,rounded corners,bidirectional hinge,no bezel problem(?),service

cons:
    ram compatibility,no touchsreen, white keyboard(can be a pro...),battery life(give me a true comparison-divx video running on both machines...),pen(white and screen looks silly when pen in use..)

asus r1e
    pros:
    processor,dvd,s-video,express card slot,screen resolution(?),e-sata
    cons: same design as r1f>>probably same flaws

SgtDirtbag you are right, that we need a side by side comparison of the tablets!
    I wonder how batterylife changes when you change the t4220 processor to 1,6ghz and undervolt it-should be possible....

4. SgtDirtbag

@mig174: Damn, I thought it was SXGA+ like the X61T.
    Is it only SXGA?!
    If that's the case, the T4220 is out of the question.
    WSXGA and SXGA+ > SXGA anytime.

@Michael-P: It's a drag, isn't it? For me it's like this:

X61T
    Pros:
    black keyboard, overall design, good standard battery, no internal drive (saves weight, will get external drive anyway)

Cons:
    not the fastest processor, screen supposedly worse than t4220

T4220
    Pros:
    strong processor, supposedly better screen than x61t, service

Cons:
    ram compatibility, white keyboard, white pen (looks cheap), pen holder in screen, silver case, too round, internal drive (would replace it with another battery)

Asus R1E
    Pros:
    strong processor, s-video, widescreen, e-sata, big standard HDD

Neutral:
    1280x800 (not as good as SXGA+ but I think it would be a good compromise for having a 13.3" widescreen)

Cons:
    same design as r1f >> probably same flaws, probably heavier than the other two, internal drive (would replace it with another battery)

It has?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. Michael-P

@SgtDirtbag:it is always the question if you need such a high resolution.I have a 20inch dell monitor in front of me and it is 1680*1050-it is not much space gain compared to my iiyama with 1280*1024...and it it harder to read on the dell.
    there is something I learned from my dell:First I rotated it-which is kinda bad for Vista because of the sidebar-your deskspace shrinks very much and even without the sidebar it feels narrow....If you read something you need very long to come to an end of a page -_-

For the Asus I am not sure whether I need more graphics powerthrough a XG Station-pictures are not even displayed on the tablet screen.

For what do you need or want this resolution?

6. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

If I knew how to post pictures I would show you something that could help.

7. SgtDirtbag

You could use http://imageshack.us/ to upload your pictures.
    It automatically generates a BBcode for forums.
    Thanks in advance. : )

A higher resolution is always a plus for me.
    I intend to use it with programs like Photoshop, Painter IX, Dreamweaver and Flash Professional 8.
    Especially the last two come with a ****load of panels and menus.

What screen is your dell? And did you have it in landscape or portrait mode when it took you "very long to come to an end of a page"?
    I thought widescreen in portraitmode would be kind of neat for reading Ebooks.
    DVDs also should be nice on widescreen.

I planned to get a TabletPC as a kind of hybrid between:
    desktop replacement/working-machine (dreamweaver, flash)
    entertainment-machine (dvd, light gaming, webbrowsing, Ebooks)
    sketchbook (photoshop, painter ix)

I could still hook it up to my 21" 1600x1200 screen when I'm at home, so I guess I could live with widescreen,
    especially since the R1F comes with a fast processor. That's probably even more useful than the big resolution of the X61T.

8. Michael-P

it is a dell 2007wfp and it was in portrait mode;-)
    widescreen is not really the "non plus ultra" for dvds either:you still have this black boxes above/under the picture.

If you really need the high resolution take the x61t or the t4220. I am not quite sure what type of screen they are:mva,ips or tn...
    TN is worst but has the fastest response time and it is the cheapest.
    IPS has the best viewing angles but lacks true black.The screen "shines" a bit-"crystaleffect" can´t explain it too well.
    MVA has the best black tones and has wide viewing angles-only response times lack to be better than ips.For your work a MVA screen should be the best.

I assume(and I am really not sure) the lenovo uses IPS, the t4220 MVA(fujitsu invented this technology..)and the ASUS.hmm:http://product.pcpop.com/000052950/Picture.html

It is so hard...
    I want it for low gaming , entertainment and websurfing and notetaking.
    For entertainment the x61ts touchscreen is the biggest plus...

9. SgtDirtbag

I know, since it's 16:10 not 16:9.
    Still better than 4:3 though. ^^

I'll sleep about it. : )
    mig174 made me quite unsure whether the T4220 really has SXGA+.
    If that is the case, I think I'll take the R1E over the X61T.
    The faster CPU should prove more useful than the extra resolution.

I don't know it either, but the reviews of the R1F were very positive about its screen.
    They especially liked that the blacks were really black and the colors were vibrant.

But I guess we'll have to wait if they're going to use the same display in the R1E.

Hey, nice find. : D

With these requirements I'd take the X61T Multitouch without even thinking about it. ; )
    The CPU is certainly fast enough for entertainment (dvds, music), and games are limited through the IGP anyway.
    You won't need high resolution for webbrowsing and notetaking, but you could browse the web with your fingers.

@recycle: Thanks. : )

10. recycle

recycle Pen Pal - Newbie

The T4220 is SXGA+. Go to their order page and check it out if you want verification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.