T4220 Memory Questions

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Smoothcrm7, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey All,
    2 Quick Questions
    1. Being I bought my T4220 with a 2 gig (x1) stick and wish to upgrade it to 3-4 gigs but I keep hearing that vista 32x doesnt support 4 gigs of ram. So I called fujitsu and they said of course it does, and they had never heard of that before. So I just wanted to know what everyone else heard.

2. Would this type of ram be compatable with my t4220 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145097 and also why are some RAM sticks so much more expensive and some so much cheaper with similar specs?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

The rumors you've heard are somewhat true. With a 32-bit version of Windows, only a maximum of about 3.4 GB of RAM is recognized, due to addressing issues. Anything beyond that just sits there doing nothing. However, it is far more advisable to install 4 GB than 3 GB, that way you can operate in dual-channel mode (asymmetrical configurations, e.g. 2 GB + 1 GB will operate in single-channel mode, making it significantly slower than a dual-channel configuration). Purchase any of the modules from this Newegg page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...381+1052910525+1309221136+1309121116&name=2GB

Just don't be surprised when you boot up and Windows only tells you you have 3.x GB of RAM.

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The T4220 can support 4GB of RAM, but with a 32-bit operating system it will show over 3GB, but less than 4GB, of RAM. A 64-bit operating system, however, will show and utilize 4GB of RAM.

Microsoft has a Knowledge Base article about the 32-bit edition of Windows and 4GB of RAM, here.

4. Smoothcrm7

Thanks so much again guys this site has been amazing in my quest for the perfect tablet = )

5. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait before you install the 4gb ram check a similar thread posted recently (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=8355 :D), several people had problems installing them. Apparently it has to do with the chip brand, so not every memory brand will work. Just be careful with the brand you choose

6. Freb

Freb Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed 2x2GB OCZ from Frys and they work perfectly both in XP, Vista x86 and Vista x64. I had XP, not Vista, installed when I installed the RAM because Fujitsu doesn't allow you to buy 512 MB and Vista together, so my conditions aren't exactly the same as everyone else. Unfortunately, I can't use Vista x64 because Fujitsu doesn't provide 64 bit drivers for basic stuff like the SmartCard or Memory stick readers.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Freb,
    There have been quite a few issues with the 2 x 2GB modules.
    Which make & model of memory did you purchase?

8. Freb

Freb Pen Pal - Newbie

Ocz2mv6674gk

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Okay... decyphering that guys works out at memory from OCZ Technology and is a 4GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module, running at 667MHz, type DDR2-667/PC2-5400 - DDR2 SDRAM - 200-pin SoDIMM

Thanks.

10. Smoothcrm7

Just ordered a 2 gig stick off the crucial site. I did their ram finder thing and ended up choosing fujitsu-siemens and the T4215 hopefully it will still be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.