T4220: Local Disc Drive Q

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by yournam, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TabTom

TabTom Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a local disc drive "Q" on my brand new T4220.
    And it is somehow strange, becaus it isn't accessible. It appears in the Windows Explorer, but not in the disk manager. :confused:
    Any ideas what it is for and how to hide it on my system?

Attached Files:

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi TabTom,

NVCACHE means non-volatile cache, which utilizes either a hybrid hard drive, or Intel TurboMemory. I think the model of the T4220 you have (the T4220-02DE) comes with 1GB of TurboMemory installed onboard. There's two technologies at play here: Windows Vista ReadyDrive and ReadyBoost. ReadyDrive utilizes half of the 1GB TurboMemory (so that's 512MB) during boot up; the remaining 512MB of TurboMemory is used for ReadyBoost (similar to superfetch, used for the OS to boost performance).

I don't know any easier way of doing it with Vista, since TweakUI PowerToys is for Windows XP only; other than doing a registry tweak to hide Drive Q from view. This is partially difficult, but make sure you read the directions fully before even attempting to modify your registry, check them out here. If you know how to count in 32-bit binary, great, this will greatly benefit you! :)

In any case, this is the decimal you need to hide Drive Q: 4194304 - at least I hope so! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. Borgboy

Borgboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, if I'm not mistaken...You would want to use 65536, or 0x10000 (decimal, and hexadecimal, respectively). 4194304 would hide W. :)

4. TabTom

TabTom Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the answers!

Now I learned, that my machine is equiped with TurboMemory. I didn't know that before...

5. TabTom

TabTom Pen Pal - Newbie

65536 did hide the disc Q.

6. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha, disc Q.

My T2010 came with a random 1GB partition named Disc D, is this the same thing?

7. yournam

yournam Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, that's my question too.

8. herecomesthcold

herecomesthcold Pen Pal - Newbie

i also have a D drive on my t4220. it apparently has 1gb of space. bump for the question of "what is this for?":eek:

9. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi all,

Could you go into (maybe one could provide a screenshot) Disk Management and see if the D drive (or rather, it is known as Disk 1; C:/ is Disk 0) is titled as NVCACHE or not.

Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc -> OK -> Disk Management (or similar)

--

Are you able to access it directly, or is it similar to TabTom's situation, where it does not allow access into it?

It could be possible that you have Intel TurboMemory, or some sort of a hybrid hard drive or storage device somewhere there.

10. yournam

yournam Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I am posting the image. Tell me if you need any more images...

it is normally accessible but I haven't tried to save a file there.

now I found that it has 35MB used, i think yesterday it was free but not sure. there are no files visible / can't say for hidden ones bc i don't know how to make them appear in new vista gui.

thanks for help.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.