T4220 keyboard skin stretching

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by wmm, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my T4220 for a couple of months now and am generally quite happy with it. I'm having some trouble with the keyboard skin that I got with it, though. Both on the palm rest and over the keys themselves, the skin has stretched so that it's bigger and as a result no longer lies flat; instead, it arches up like a bubble away from the surface of the keyboard. I've removed it and stuck pieces of Scotch double-sided tape on top of a number of keys and on the palm rest, but I can tell that I'm going to have to do it again; the skin is still arching over the places where I haven't anchored it, and it's pulling the skin up away from the tape on the keys nearest the bubble. I guess I'm going to have to tape every key.

Unless someone here has a better solution? Has this happened to anyone else? Were you able to do anything about it that's better (more effective, longer lasting, less hassle) than double-sided cellophane tape?

2. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

I'd order a new skin from Fujitsu if possible. I've had mine for a month only but so far it's ok. The mouse trackpad area sucks though, that's for sure. Hard to slide your finger on sometimes cuz the skin is too loose and rubbery. I'm hoping as it gets more worn in that area it will get slippier.

3. herecomesthcold

herecomesthcold Pen Pal - Newbie

i had my t4220 keyboard skin for 9 months. The adhesive by the air vent eventually lost its stickiness because of the heat. The adhesive also lost some stickiness in other areas also. By 9 months, it was extremely yellow and I tossed it away.

I've been using my laptop without the keyboard skin for 6 months now and it is fine. You get your hairs and little dust particles that occasionally fall into the keyboard but it isn't a bother. YOU'LL GET OVER IT. The skin, if you really think about it, is more of a bother than of a benefit. I loved it at first, but after losing the traction of the mousepad and having that same area bubble up after a few months from rubbing my finger on it to navigate, it got annoying.

I would recommend using that 16 dollars you might use to buy that next keyboard skin, and instead invest in small alcohol wipes to wipe your keyboard, palm rest, and mouse/touch pad down. Your keyboard will look MUCH more attractive (and white) without the skin on. Hope I helped. :eek:

4. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply; I was hoping someone with long-term experience with the skin would do so. I think our motivations for using the skin are somewhat different, though. It appears from your comments that you basically wanted to keep the keyboard looking clean. I really don't care what the keyboard looks like, and if the skin turns yellow, so be it. My problem is that I often eat at my desk and, despite my best efforts, bread crumbs and the like fall into the cracks between the keys of whatever keyboard I'm using; sometimes they even interfere with the action of one or more of the keys. That's not a big deal for a keyboard I can replace for $10 at the local Walmart, but swapping out the keyboard on a laptop is not so cheap or easy.

Does anyone know if it's easy to remove the keycaps from T4220 keyboard? Some keys are designed for it and pop right off and back on, but others are not. I'm afraid of damaging the keyboard if it's one of the latter, so I'm not inclined to experiment, but if it's easy to do, I could forgo the skin and just periodically remove the keycaps and clean underneath them.

In the meantime, I'm considering removing all the adhesive strips from around the edge of the skin and just anchoring it by means of the double-sided tape on the keytops and on the palm rest. Allowing it to expand sideways might reduce the tension that causes it to arch away from the keys.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, the T42XX series use standard Fujitsu keyboards (you can easily replace the keyboard with a similar one from most Fujitsu laptop lines, even the T2010; makes spare keyboards much easier to find).

You can also pop the keys off for cleaning, and back on again when done (in fact, I've done this twice). Make sure you remember the key layout (or take a picture of the keyboard) before doing this.

6. wmm

wmm Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for that information, kureshii. I think I'll try an experiment with the Menu key (between the right-hand Alt and Ctrl keys), since I never use it and breaking it would be no great loss. If it's easy, I think I'll give up on the skin (and just hope that my contamination of the keyboard is limited to crumbs and not beverages :) ); the feel of the keyboard is definitely compromised by the skin, so that's probably a net win.

As for getting the keys back on in the right places, you're preaching to the choir. I've messed up things like this so many times over the years that I always take a picture before disassembling anything.

7. Asian Driver

Asian Driver Pen Pal - Newbie

does anyone know if the skin for the t2010 has a similar problem to this?

8. cathmandu

cathmandu Pen Pal - Newbie

it is not about looks, it is about protecting your mac or pc from water damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.