T4220 Battery Life Experiences

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Smoothcrm7, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recycle

recycle Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking of dropping my X60 and getting a T4220 and was wondering what the real world battery life is... can people share their experience?

From the review of the laptop on this site, it says:

Do you guys find this accurate? I'm interested in Vista experience especially.

Thanks!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The time is roughly correct (obviously personal settings/configurations will have differing results) and if you then add a second battery in the form of the Modular Bay (normally reserved for the Optical Drive), then times will increase to around 7 to 8 hours.

On my T4210's I regularly achieve with both batteries inserted 7hrs and that's after a years running these machines, so very little battery level has dropped.

However, as to the remark on recharging...... I find that slightly ambitious.
    I can not remember the accurate timings but it must be something over the 90min mark.

3. recycle

recycle Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the (quick) replies P8RSON! Are you running Vista? 7 to 8 hours is exactly what I'm shooting for with both batteries installed (even if the screen is dimmed and processor slowed). If I can get that I would be a very happy camper...

4. P8RSON

Sorry recycle, I don't run Vista....
    It's my personal preference.
    Until Microsoft get to SP1 and third-party developers handle the compatibility and Driver issues, I'm remaining with XP.

Although Vista directly doesn't effect battery consumption, certain features can have an impact on battery performance.
    Effects such as the new search feature which uses extensive processor activity whilst cataloguing your system will drain the battery more so than XP.

Overall, with careful planning and consideration, with both the Main & Modular Battery sited in your machine you should still be able to achieve times in access of 7hrs. :)

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Search, prefetch, pretty much anything that involves heavy hard disk usage will affect battery life, at least for the first few times it's collecting information on your usage habits.

I can get up to 6 hrs on my T4210, winXP doing notetaking (half brightness, no wifi, NHC tweaks), so 7 hours with a modular battery is definitely no problem =)

I'll be waiting for affordable SSD drives to see how much further they can extend my battery life.

6. P8RSON

That's a great score kureshii and you beat me on the single battery.

The longest I have ever achieved was not long after I purchased the T4210's, I took one of them out with me on an all night vigil.... sat in a Landrover waiting for calls of poachers on our Farm.

I had the machine on from around 6PM until just after 4AM (over 10hrs) and the only reason I switched off the machine was in chase of an offending poacher.

Funny how your mind remembers certain figures based on other activities. :)

7. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I remembered mine because it was a Monday, I had three 2-hr lectures and forgot to bring my AC adapter. No modular battery either. So there I was, hoping against hope that it would last the 8am-6pm day. Only had Journal running, screen at half-brightness, wifi definitely off, NHC underclocked the CPU to 75% with slight undervoltage as usual. The screen switched off from time to time, but never for more than a minute as the lecturers were pretty relentless.

Story in short, the last lecture ended with my battery dangerously low at 1%, and just as I was shutting down it reached 0%. Contrary to popular belief, your comp does not die when NHC or any other battery indicator shows 0% - from personal experience there's probably about 5 min left before shutdown =)

Of course, I wouldn't expect most people to be using a tablet the way I do... still, 4hrs should not be a problem with normal usage. And by the way, running your battery that low is very unadvisable - I'm surprised my battery wear managed to keep at 0%, even with 2 freeze-restores.

I hope my future Fujitsu upgrade can live up to these expectations, my current T4210 has set rather high standards (average 9W draw on battery).

8. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

so FAr I have Been getting 3 + hours out of mine with 1 battery In with balance mode turned on and semi intensive use with Modular In I Her about 6+ hours of internet IM Ane other thing

9. gil-galad

gil-galad Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you have Aero and/or the indexing service turned off? Especially the latter is said to be a real battery hog.

10. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have aero and indexing running but I believe due to the amount of times Ive had my computer just sitting there+restarts indexing is pretty much done for now until i install more stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.