T4220 and ATI or nVidia

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tebutts, Dec 4, 2007.

1. JuneBelle

JuneBelle Pen Pal - Newbie

It's been a year or so. Do you think that the T4220 has the hardware compatible with Vista? I really want to get Vista for the improved tablet functions and because I don't want to have to buy it separately later when things smooth out with software.

Someone suggested this to me:
    http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/
    I heard that the Vista option comes with an included XP disc; so I could have both on at the same time. Do you think that I should do this?

Also, what accessories should I get?
    I know that I'm going to get the felt Wacom tips. What else?
    Do I really need a fan? Does it really get that hot?
    Does the included screen protector alter the colors even slightly. I hear that this cover will increase the feeling of paper when I'm writing.

Thanks for all your help. :D

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 was released nearly 6 months ago; I'm thinking you're talking about the Fujitsu LifeBook T4215? Nevertheless, beginning with the Fujitsu LifeBook T4210, it is Vista compatiable; the T4215 was the first of the Fujitsu LifeBook T-series to offer Windows Vista pre-installed. A recommendation of at least 2GB of RAM is the sweet spot if you plan to go with Vista.

Never heard of Windows Vista being included with an Windows XP installation disk; usually Windows Vista is on Windows Vista, and Windows XP is on Windows XP on their own respective installation disks. Manufacturers are allowing users to downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP as they see fit, there will be possible fees associated with it to obtain it.

3. JuneBelle

Since I'm working with graphics, I plan on getting 4GB of RAM.
    ??? So the different product codes means an updated rerelease of basically the same computer? Well, then I guess I'm going for the T4215 then. Is that currently available on the Fujitsu website?

No, I mean that there is an extra separate XP installation disc along with Vista restore discs that comes included with your purchase of Vista installed.

Why are the numbers going backwards?

4. SimsHsia

Hi JuneBelle,

Currently the T4220 is available at Fujitsu. The T4215 can be found from other retailers (if they still have stock) or through eBay.

In a way, but what's under the hood changes (CPU, motherboard, wifi, etc). The chasis hasn't been altered since the introduction of the T4210.

Gotcha. :)
    As far as I'm aware, Fujitsu offers the factory image restore disk of whatever operating system you go with; Vista or XP, not both. I'm sure you could request both restore disks of both operating systems if you contact Fujitsu, though.

What "numbers"? The model numbers? The T4210 came first (summer '06), followed by the T4215 (winter '06/'07), and now currently with the T4220 (summer '07). The T4225 is coming up next, perhaps next year. Fujitsu introduced a new line, the T2010 this summer which is different when compared to the T4200 series.

5. JuneBelle

Hmm... Too bad. It's the only place so far that I've seen that allows for full customization.

Got it.

Well, I read this on forums from people who have purchased this computer and other Fujitsu computers.

??? Now I'm really confused. Which one is the most recent then...?
    Is it the T4215 or the T4220?

??? Which one is better?
    Oh yeah! I've heard of the T2010. It's the one with 11 hours of battery life. Unfortunately, that one has a low-powered processor.

6. SimsHsia

Hi JuneBelle,

Both the T4210 and T4215 are discontinued, but still supported. In other words, they are no longer manufactured by Fujitsu, but for tech support it is allowed until EOL (end of life) support is announced. The T4220 is the currently available, thus the currently manufactured Tablet PC (for the T4200 series) until the T4225 is released sometime early next year.

It could be possible that these owners were eligible for the Windows Vista Express Upgrade when they bought their tablets pre-installed with Windows XP, then could receive an upgrade DVD to Windows Vista. Did the threads you visited dated from a year ago, or recently? I could be wrong however, but could you link me to such a thread that explains this? Just so that I can get some clarification and a better understanding, thanks. :)

There are some owners, that have either bought Windows Vista on their own when they had Windows XP installed; or they requested the Windows XP and/or Vista restore disk from Fujitsu directly.

7. JuneBelle

So, why is the T4215 more compatible with Vista than the T4220?

Well, it's difficult to find where I read it; but this might help:
    http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/www/support.shtml?support/vista/faq
    Click on the first extender titled "Downgrade Rights for Microsoft Windows Vista® Business" and in it will say:

And in the list is the T4220.

8. SimsHsia

Perhaps it is the differences between the motherboards the two models use. I'm not a Vista user, yet, as I'm waiting for SP1 to be released before upgrading. Regardless, the T4215 is about equal when compared to the T4220 in terms of compatibility, the T4215 (or the T4210 or T4220 for that matter) are still subject to the BSoD. It could be the drivers that are pre-installed with either the T4215 or T4220, or Windows Update is installing more Vista-compatible drivers for either of the two models.

Ah gotcha, that was what I was (partially) talking about in first reply for today (post #12). I guess I mistakenly read it that the user had to contact Fujitsu to get the downgrade disk to Windows XP, but really if the user doesn't have the Windows XP recovery disk they'll have to contact Fujitsu, as noted:
    I stand corrected, apologies for my confusion.

9. JuneBelle

Hmm...so they are about equal? Then I might as well get the T4220.

Do you think that it would be okay to get Vista once the SP1 is released? I don't think that I'm geting it until later this year maybe.

I'm not sure. I'm not too tech savy to be able to deal with the issues if they come up. (I would have gotten my dad to install the ATI or nVidia; but he can only do so much since he lives thousands of miles from me.) But if all of the hardware is compatible, maybe I can deal with it if it's just a matter of downloading drivers.

:D It's okay. I would doubt me, too, if I was you. :D

10. SimsHsia

That's perfectly fine, you can stick with Windows XP on the T4220 since it is time-tested and has most of its kinks worked out after two service packages and hundreds of patches and fixes. :)

An alternative idea: buy the T4220 with Vista, then downgrade to Windows XP (with the included restore disk), install all high priority patches and fixes for XP through Windows Update, then the next time you visit your dad and the T4220 again, upgrade to Windows Vista, and download SP1 through Windows Update or from Microsoft's download center. If the release of Vista SP1 is anything like Windows XP SP2, there could be a possibility of getting the SP1 upgrade disk for free through direct mail from Microsoft, so one simply installs the operating system first (with the restore disk or installation media) then pop in the SP1 upgrade disk and let it upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows Vista SP1. :)