T4220 and ATI or nVidia

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tebutts, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuneBelle

JuneBelle Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question for T4220 owners who know how to mod their machines.

Are you able to change out or add in a ATI or nVidia graphics card?

I am planning on using this machine for art purposes; but I would really love a machine with one of those two graphics cards on them. But I was concerned one whether or not this is even possible.

Please help. :(

Also, which card would be better? I've heard that nVidia is better. Is that true?

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi JuneBelle,

Unfortunately, one is unable to change out the soldered Intel integrated graphics chipset there and replace it with a dedicated card from ATi or nVidia.

There are a few Tablet PCs that have either of the two aforementioned dedicated video cards from either company; I suggest you look at the Gateway C-140XL (with ATi MR X2300) if you need a Tablet PC with a dedicated graphics card.

3. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

In the desktop arena, nVidia is destroying ATI. I'm pretty sure that's true for the notebooks as well

4. JuneBelle

Quote: "Hi JuneBelle,

Unfortunately, one is unable to change out the soldered Intel integrated graphics chipset there and replace it with a dedicated card from ATi or nVidia.

There are a few Tablet PCs that have either of the two aforementioned dedicated video cards from either company; I suggest you look at the Gateway C-140XL (with ATi MR X2300) if you need a Tablet PC with a dedicated graphics card."

Thanks for the response! :D

Oh... *sigh* Too bad. I've heard of the Gateway product; but I also hear that the build isn't as good as other brands, especially Fujitsu, who directly supervises their products which are built right in Japan.

How good would you say the installed graphics processor is? How does it stack up to fairly heavy graphics workloads. (Not too bad, mainly photomanipulation and drawing programs such as ArtRage and Sketchbook. Think a 1,500 by 2,000 pixel canvas with layers and paint simulations and such.)

Quote: "In the desktop arena, nVidia is destroying ATI. I'm pretty sure that's true for the notebooks as well"

Hmm. I haven't heard of a laptop with nVidia already installed, though.

5. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

There are plenty of laptops of nVidia card installed, but I haven't seen a tablet with one yet. I believe that the Fujitsu T4420 may suit your needs as I've heard a few people say that they use it for similar tasks since it's got the horse power. I personally have the T2010 and I don't believe that it will do. If you do really intense graphics stuff, a laptop is the way to go, since I believe that they are slighly more powerful in terms of the graphics card compared to tablets for some reason. Of course you could always connect a wacom pad to the laptop, but I ]imagine that it wouldn't be any fun ;)

6. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While the GMA3100 may not be the gamer's choice, it's no slouch when it comes to workhorse graphics - I doubt Photoshop etc will be a problem on it.

7. JuneBelle

I did a search and found a couple of tablets with nVidia: a Toshiba and an Acer tablet; but those seem to be the only ones.

What's the difference between the T4220 and the T4420?

Well, the point of the tablet is to be able to draw naturally. So, I don't have a choice but to get a tablet, if that's what I'm going for.

:D No, I was thinking that that would be really annoying.

So I wouldn't experience any slow-downs or that jerky stopping thing that my laptop does. >_<

What about 3-D rendering? I'm not into that right now; but that wouldn't work very well on this, right?

One more question. What is with this Vista thing? I've been reading on several forums. There seems to be more people who haven't had any problems with Vista; but the ones who have had problems seem to have them bad. Why is it that there are people without any problems and those with tons of problems? Is it just because the people with problems are the ones trying to install Vista themselves, while the ones without problems are the ones who got a machine with it already installed?

8. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

Integrated graphics will work fine for 2D applications like the ones you mentioned. A 3D card will sit there 99% idle whilst you are using them.

They come into their own for 3D and Video work. Seeing that you are just considering getting started with 3D modelling, you will find integrated graphics will work just fine for a while. Unless you are planning to go on an intensive 3D modelling course, by the time you get good enough to need more than integrated graphics your tablet pc will probably be obselete.

Vista problems are caused by software and hardware incompatibilities as it is a new operating system. Once product and software cycles catch up with Vista, things will get a lot better. In 12-18 months, it will be a non issue. Get Windows XP Tablet PC edition if it concerns you.

I sometimes have problems with Adobe Creative Suite 3 on my Vista equipped laptop that just aren't there when using Windows XP. Having said that, it runs fine 95% of the time in Vista.

Get a T4220, and don't worry about the graphics card thing.

9. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Difference is that the T4420 doesn't exist... ;-) Probably a typo.

10. TabTom

TabTom Pen Pal - Newbie

At least not yet! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.