T4215 (seemingly) random freezes.

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Rieuk, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi guys,
    Well this has been driving me insane - random freezes. It started when I was adjusting the brightness using the shortcut one morning (this always causes the system to stutter, but this time it froze).

Ever since then, the laptop has been freezing when connected to the home network (wireless or ethernet) every hour or so. Only solution is a hard reboot. I can induce the crash instantly by starting MSN messenger. The crashing does not occur on other networks however (at uni for example). I tried resetting the router I use at home to factory defaults to no avail.

I have adequate RAM (2gb) and have the T7200 processor option running the Win XP tablet edition OS.

I'd be grateful for any sort of tech advice on this issue.
    Thanks

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The MSN failures...
    Do you have a firewall in place Rieuk hardware).
    It may be interfering with your settings.

3. Rieuk

Just recovered from a crash in the middle of this post :p...
    Thanks for replying,
    Yeah I have ZoneAlarm's firewall running. I shut it down just then and started MSN - instant freeze. Can't think of what is causing it...weird thing is it crashes whether or not MSN is started albeit after a while.

I just did a restart just then and it crashed right when I logged in. Other times it will take over an hour to crash. This is all when I'm connected to the network via either ethernet or wireless. When I'm not connected, the crashes are nonexistent.

4. P8RSON

Try this:-
    Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Once the Computer Management window opens, from the list on the Left, select System Tools/Event Viewer/System and now look at the window on the Right.

Scroll down looking for any Red Cirles with a White Cross inside.
    They should say 'Error' and give an explanation of what the error is.

You may also see some Yellow Triangles which are 'Warning' indicators.

Can you provide any information here as to what you are getting?

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Rieuk,

After doing some searches on Google about this, I'll first ask a question, then list some possible solutions for you to try out:

It could be the router, could you tell us the brand and the model of the router you use to connect to your home network?

Could you also try the following:
    1.) Uninstall Windows Messenger
    2.) Uninstall MSN/Live Messenger
    3.) Install ONLY MSN/Live Messenger (not other add-ons like Sign-In Service, try to see if there's a Custom Setup option or a way to uncheck it from installing)

Did you try an older version of MSN/Live Messenger? The latest version (unless if you are running the latest version)?

Last, but not least, have tried unchecking the "Remember Password", "Automatically Sign Me In" and other options at the sign in screen?

6. P8RSON

Yes Chris, I also thought it may have been the Router... although my comment was the Built-in Firewall.

Good call on the Google Search. :)

7. Rieuk

Appreciate the help -
    P8RSON, I've looked through the Event Viewer records and I don't find any errors or warnings that occur at the time of the crash. I used to notice errors with event code 7000 that pop up for some crashes but they seem to have gone now. What I see frequently now is odd 'information' entries with event codes 3100 and 4201. These have sources Tcpip6 and Tcpip respectively. I don't know if these events have anything to do with the crash since they aren't logged at the exact time of the crash and I suspect they must be a result of the crash rather the cause. If the system crashes, how can an error be logged in the event viewer?

As for uninstalling messenger business I am in the middle of that now (after several failed windows login attempts - sorry for the delayed post). I reiterate though, that MSN can induce a crash right now, but even if MSN is not running the tablet crashes after a period of time (reduced to about 10 minutes now :'(

The router's brand is Belkin and the model is VOIP 802.11g Gateway (I think).

8. Rieuk

Upon viewing the router security log I find a crap load of these type of entries:

07/21/2007 15:27:00 **Smurf** 168.254.255.255->> 168.254.254.192, Type:3, Code:3 (from PPPoE1 Outbound)

Is this cause for alarm? It's the "smurf" part that's disconcerting.

9. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried virus and spyware scans on all of the systems in the house. "Smurfing" usually has to do with DDoS attacks. Try booting into safe mode and scan your computers for anything and everything and maybe even try one of the online scanners as well such as Trend Micro or [URL="http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm]Panda Active Scan [/URL] for a second opinion. There could be some sort of virus on your computer or on another computer on your network that is causing the problems. You can also check your router and make sure that it doesn't allow in ICMP (Ping) requests which are what causes the DDoS.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Rieuk

Yes, I've tried ZoneAlarm's AV treatment. Nothing found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.