T4215 Hinge getting unstable

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Rieuk, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi everyone,
    has anyone noticed their Fujitsu T series tablet causing a bit of concern at the hinge? My one seems to have gotten quite stiff of late, and whenever I open or close the lid/screen, it takes a bit of effort to overcome the friction before it starts moving. There is this snapping noise when it starts moving and consequently, the hinge covering has come loose.

If I haven't described it correctly, it's sort of like a rusty tap for a sink/faucet where you have to exert a bit of effort at the start before it jolts and starts turning. I pretty much have to pry my tabet open to start using it and I'm afraid this hinge won't last much longer :S I'm wondering whether I should lube it up but I still want the screen to be able to stand up on its own.

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yup, happened to me... though I think it was probably because the Fujitsu engineers overtightened the hinge when I sent it for repair last December. Didn't inform them because it allowed me to write comfortably in laptop mode without the screen bending backwards. I just try to be more careful when closing the lid; sometimes I'll give a little help by pushing near the hinge when closing it.

My hinge covering has always been a little loose, but from my own observations from disassembly it seems to be normal; the actual hinge assembly is quite well-built and doesn't seem to suffer from any noticeable problems.

3. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the response.
    Yeah I think I'll just leave it as is. I find pushing on the hinge seems to help it close more easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.