T4215 battery problem

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Jacky, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southpawhokievt

southpawhokievt Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know what happened but my battery now drains in 1.5 hours with wifi off and screen dimmed. It also charges really fast (from 45% to 85% in 7 mins) which makes me think it doesnt charge to full capacity. I usually got around 5 hours last semester. Is the damn thing already worn out? I use it for every class to take notes. And the battery meter lies and says I have 5 hours left, when it drains 1% per minute. oh I've had it for 1 year also.

2. willember

willember Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm had the same problem with the main battery last week, and got a new one. Now the secondary battery is doing the same thing. Before I drop another hundred on a battery, I thought I'd check to see if the cause could be anything else besides simply a worn out battery. Could anything else cause it to charge and drain really fast? I have had the T4220 for 14 months...

-w

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I remember Apple laptop owners having a similar problem that was caused by a battery charger going bad. Sounds crazy, but if you know someone with a compatible charger, it's certainly worth trying to see if their charger fixes your problem.

5. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

I have precisely this problem as well (on T4215) - I was going to start a new thread but I was pleasantly surprised by how accurate a description of my problem this was.

Any how, Notebook Hardware Control was reporting 0% wear for so long until a few weeks ago when it started showing 58% wear. I think it's because NHC needs to see a few charges to ascertain the wear level and until a few weeks ago I kept taking the battery out when I went home.

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

NHC shows 0% wear on my main battery too. Now that's just impossible for a Li-Ion battery to have zero wear after two years and hundreds of cycles. Apparently this is a problem on the T2010 too. It's strange that NHC can't work with the main battery, but it does on my modular bay battery, which has 19% wear after 1 year....which is normal.

7. rcampbell

rcampbell Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my T4220 that I've had for nearly a year. A few months ago, my battery ran for at least 3.5 hours. Now, I can barely get through a 90 minute lecture. The battery also recharges very fast.

I'm not sure what could have caused this, but I did update the BIOS to v1.16 about the same time I started noticing the horrible battery life. I can't test that theory though, because I haven't been able to find an older BIOS to revert back to.

8. Frank

Maybe it helps if you fully discharge the battery until the computer shuts off, not windows (deactivate it in the power settings), then remove the battery and disconnect the tablet from the AC-adapter, wait maybe a few minutes until the battery and the tablet are cooled down (but don't wait too long), reinsert the battery, connect the AC-adapter and wait until it fully charged the battery. After that turn on your tablet PC, look at the wear level in NHC or RMClock and look if the battery lasts a bit longer now again.

edit: how old is the battery? below a year? Then you should still have warranty.

9. rcampbell

rcampbell Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that already and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Yeah, it's about 10 months old, but I wasn't sure if this was covered by the warranty, since battery wear is expected (though obviously not to the extend mine has went down). If it is covered by the warranty that would be great. I guess I'll have to call up Fujitsu.

Thanks

10. Frank

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015