T4210 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kt_027, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederick Porter

Frederick Porter Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 3 year old Fujitsu T4210. Its getting a little up there in age but to tell you the truth i still love the thing. I have never had any serious problems with it. My current plan is to do some upgrading. The only upgrade I have done so far was to increase my RAM from 1G to 2.

For a while now though i have been suffering from the fan clicking problem that so many of us T42XX users have been complaining about. My thought was it might be time to replace the fan and heat sink assembly or at least give it a thorough cleaning (and reapply new thermal paste).

Secondly I have dust behind my screen as well (another common t42XX fault). I am fairly confident i can figure out how to open it all up and get rid of that though but if there are any suggestions on how to seal it shut im listening.

Thirdly my wireless card has always been crap. I would like to upgrade to a new wireless N card with bluetooth integrated (my current one has no bluetooth).

Lastly, would it be worth it to upgrade my processor?

What I'm looking for is the proper part numbers and a place to order them. Up in Canada its impossible to find the parts let alone get someone to ship them? If anyone knows a place where i can get them, It would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

The first two things I'd do would be for performance, both battery and speed. That is, I'd upgrade to 4 gigs of memory and get an Intel ssd. The memory thing is hard to explain, but the Intel thing is good because it has the lowest power consumption of any drive. It runs cool, so it may allow your tablet to run cooler too, which should allow the fan to stay off longer.

Also consider getting a bay battery if you want super long battery life.

Yes, replace the fan. I may do that too. Clean the heat sink, don't replace it. Polish it while you're in there, and then use high quality thermal paste or a good pad. That should lower your temperatures further, and again allow the fan to stay off longer.

I'm with you on the screen. If I open it, I want to prevent dust from getting in there again. My plan is to seal it like some people do with their gps devices. I can't remember what the stuff is called, but it can be found pretty easily by googling for how to weatherproof a gps device that isn't normally weatherproof. I think I'll also put down a few strips of double sided tape to help trap any dust that still gets in.

I have no advise on the wireless card. Mine works great, and I never use bluetooth.

Processors are expensive, so it's probably not worth it. I know some of the T2xxx processors are upgradeable. I know some people have done it with other laptops....using the T7500 if I remember correctly. It may not be faster, but it's true dual core, and I believe it can be undervolted a little more.

3. iammcse

iammcse Pen Pal - Newbie

I upgraded the hard drive to a Momentus 7200.3 SATA 320-GB, excellent performance if you have Readyboost and ReadyDrive turned on! Memory, 2G is minimum I think, and 4g is the max.

4. WeeboTech

WeeboTech Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone ever upgraded a T4210 to a core 2 duo processor?
    I have a T2500 in mine and have a spare T7600 I would love to drop in.
    Mostly for virtualization and development.

I could probably just get a newer machine, yet I still like this one a great deal.

I think more ram and CPU upgrade would extend the life of my T4210.

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I've heard of it being done on other laptops, but not on the T4210.

6. KoMarik

KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to resurrect this old topic - but is Momentus 7200.3 a hybrid drive? Does it include a flash-based buffer? I didn't think it did, and I can't find mention of this on Seagate website. You need a hybrid drive for ReadyDrive, and what do you use for ReadyBoost - a separate flash sticking out of the notebook? Or something else? Just looking for info to jazz-up my T4210 a little.

TIA,
    -M-

7. kt_027

kt_027 Pen Pal - Newbie

Upgraded T2400 processor to T7400; got it for 50 bucks; was looking for T7600 but couldnt find it at a good price.

From the list of supported processors T7600 is the latest\fastest - 2.33 GHz, FSB 667 MHz, L2 4 MB on 945GM.

For Motherboard FUJITSU FJNB1B9

heres the list, the socket PBGA479 or PPGA478; FSB: 667MHz

click: My Search

Edit: Strangely theres an improvement in graphics performance after the upgrade according to win7 exp index scores. Was 3.0 now 3.2.

8. WeeboTech

WeeboTech Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I currently have a T2500 and I have a spare T7600 (with pins). Will a drop in replacement work?

CPUz on my machine says Socket 479 mPGA.

Is it difficult to swap the CPU?

I've always wanted a more modern CPU in this laptop. I actually still use it quite often, so if I could breathe a lil new life into it I would be ecstatic.

Will the bios support the drop in?

I've often wondered if I should just scored a T4215 on eBay, but this is a maxed out T4210 and I don't want to part with it.

9. kt_027

kt_027 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes that should work with no bios updates necessary.

Yes its also called socket M.

10. kt_027

kt_027 Pen Pal - Newbie

Update: T7400 TDP 34W, T2400 TDP 31W, and the die is larger
    Yet i had to install another cooling fan for suction by removing the smart card bay. Still temps go to 85*C.

I also put in WD 7200rpm hdd 500GBs at the same time...it helps.

About the wifi card, did anyone try a 4965 or 5100-5300 bgn?
    Which of these work without bios mod? Thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.