T4210/T4215 and Intel VT extensions

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by WeeboTech, Jul 23, 2009.

1. KoMarik

KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if Intel VT extensions (supposedly present in Intel T2400 processor in my T4210 tablet) can be enabled? I wasn't able to find this option in BIOS. Running MS Virtual PC 2007 reports that no hardware extensions are available. I'd like to get a speed boost when running a guest OS inside the MS Virtual PC. Most of the other Core Duo notebooks have an option to enable/disable VT extensions in BIOS, but not Fujitsu T4210, at least I didn't see it. I'm running the latest BIOS from Fujitsu website.

Thanks in advance,
    -M-

2. KoMarik

KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

3. kingmetal

kingmetal Pen Pal - Newbie

there is an option to enable virtualization on my T4215 in the BIOS. I can't remember where exactly, but I believe it was under 'CPU Features' or something like that. it's in the same place as you can change the speedstep features of the processor.

maybe you need to upgrade your bios? it's defaulted to 'off', I know that.

4. KoMarik

KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a support call placed to Fujitsu about this issue. They were extremely responsive, calling me back within 24 hours in response to my email. The technician pointed me to the exact BIOS option you're describing, except... it's not present in T4210 BIOS. What is even more surprising, the actual BIOS should be the same for T4215 and T4210, but somehow this particular option is missing on T4210, but is present on T4215 machines. I am running the latest 1.11 BIOS downloaded from Fujitsu. Fujitsu tech support is still looking into this, they promised to get back to me today or Monday. We'll see, I hope to get a bit of a speed boost when running virtualization software on the tablet, which otherwise works pretty well.

-M-

5. KoMarik

KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

With the help of Fujitsu support the issue is now resolved. Unfortunately, in order to resolve it you need to request a non-published utility from Fujitsu support. The utility adds an option to BIOS which lets you enable Intel hardware VT extensions. I have to say that an instance of DSL Linux inside MS Virtual PC seems to run much snappier (or maybe it's just my imagination). So if you need to run Virtual PC 2007, VMWare or some other virtualization tool on T4210 make sure you contact support and request this utility. Unfortunately, they asked me not to redistribute the copy that was provided to me. This does not affect T4215 tablets because this option is already available in the BIOS.

Enjoy,
    -M-

6. smgg

smgg Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else besides KoMarik been able to get this utilty? I have had no luck with two Fujitsu reps thus far.

7. WeeboTech

WeeboTech Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone provide more direction on contacts, program name, what to reference in order to acquire this tool.

I have a T4210 that I want to soup up a little more for some VMware applications and I could really use the VT extensions.

8. dasrollie

dasrollie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

i called yesterday fujitsu support and the only answer i became was,
    the feature is not supported on this board.
    Does anybody had luck and get this tool????

Regards Roland

9. KoMarik

KoMarik Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't believe this old issue still receives interest. And I see that Fujitsu has been less than helpful in resolving it for most people. I'm going to post the utility they provided. Due to forum limitations, I had to split the original zip file in two parts. Unzip both into the same directory and run fujinst.exe. Use at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your box, etc. etc. Hope it works for everyone who needs it. I am still using my T4210 now with memory upgraded to 4GB and running up to two VMs using VMWare server. A bit slow, but very much usable.

Enjoy,
    Mark M.

Attached Files:

10. WeeboTech

WeeboTech Pen Pal - Newbie

Worked great thanks so much!