T4210 Screen Protector ideas?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bgstewar, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

to tell you the truth, i spent my only day without any screen protector indoor and was only paying attention to the picture quality. I don't really want to take my 3M off now, so I can't really make more comparisons.

I can say that with the indoor display and 3M, image still gets completely washed out under direct sun light; however, I managed to read a paper sitting next to the window of a plane and a bus (without direct sun light). The 3M protector does preserve the gloss somewhat, so there is reflection if you align it to a lamp. I would say the anti-glare "technically" does something, but it makes no difference in my actual usage.

Viewing angle is still wide, but the color (not the features) degrades a bit when you view it from an angle (maybe this is an inherent problem of the screen, but I can't really make a comparison).

Summary 3M: You're paying that steep price to basically put a layer on top of the screen without degrading image too much.

Summary Fujitsu: a bit like putting a plastic bag on the screen, but always try free stuff before buying somthing else right? lol

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks again blblblbl...
    Comments very appreciated :)

3. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

blblblbl: Can you comment on the tactile experience of writing on the tablet with the two (Fujitsu and 3M) different screen protectors? It sounds like the 3M causes much less visual distortion, but how does it feel when you write on it?

I got a chance to write on a T4210 with the indoor/outdoor screen without any protector on, and was delighted to find that it was quite rough, and provided more of a pencil-on-paper feel rather than a pen-on-paper feel. I'm just wondering if the 3M protector is similar.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is a good analogy Rob.
    I may use that myself if you have no objective :)

5. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

Would this work?

http://www.strongengineering.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=121

I don't know if they're any good.

6. blblblbl

Both provide some drag. The fujitsu on has a rubberish-drag feel, and the 3M has a more "sandy-like" drag. I don't really want to take the 3M off right now... so I can't really say more...

7. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know what the strong engineering ones feel like?

8. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

I custom ordered Writeshield's for my 4210...so I know that they have them available now! I measured in mm to fit the entire screen:
    Width = 259
    Height = 197

I use the WS on my work HP tc4200, the feel is top notch, a lot like paper (IMHO)...BUT they are EXPENSIVE ($80 for just 2 screens) Without the full install kit (I already have that). BUT I will say that these things NEVER wear out! I have had the same one on my PDA for almost 2 years, no wear! And the one on my HP Tablet, for 6 months and no sign of wear! So I find real value in these.

I will say that I installed the ones that came with the tablet, and they are pretty decent for free (well I know we paid for them!)...and I kind of hate to take it off to throw it away...but the pen feel is rather "slippery", and the WS is much better in this department (at least on my HP).

So I have a bit of a dilemma...throw away a perfectly good one for a better one, or wait awhile! :eek:

9. Lbgrowl

Lbgrowl Pen Pal - Newbie

A quick question about screen protectors...do they physically stick to the screeen? I've had bad experience with screen "protectors" in the past that left a hell of a residue...

10. blblblbl

lbgrowl: mine sticks onto the screen, but it doesn't leave anything behind after I peeled it off