T4210 - really fast SD-reader under Linux!?

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Frank, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wookie

Wookie Pen Pal - Newbie

The performance of the SD-reader of the T42xx-Series have been an issue for longer times.

I accidentally tried to copy a SD card (takeMS 133x) under Ubuntu 8.04 and reached a transferrate above 13 MiB/s with the built-in driver - that was really amazing considering the maximum of 2MiB/s under Windows Vista/XP.

So the question is, why is FSC not able or willing to provide driver with such an performance?

Got anybody a faster driver for Windows? All i found here was not much better as the built-in driver in Vista 32bit.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's impressive.
    I have no clue about Linux, but everyone says, that the card reader only works in PIO mode, which stresses the CPU, and does not use the much better and faster DMA mode. So are you able to determine if your card reader runs in PIO or DMA mode? Does the CPU get stressed if you copy a file to the SD card?
    And according to this howto, which explains the installation of Debian on a T2010 (which has, as far as I know, the same card reader your tablet has), the card reader is also very slow with Linux. So you are the first one who got faster transfer rates.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Wookie

Wookie Pen Pal - Newbie

The CPU usage was as low, like using an USB key drive. If this effect is really caused by the PIO-Mode, this is definitly a problem with the driver (or with Windows :rolleyes: ).

I installed the Ubuntu straight foward without any special features, because all devices off an T4210 are setup correctly by default (excepting the pen).

4. Wookie

Wookie Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to find out if the card-reader uses DMA, but the output of hdparm was confusing:
    Code:
    /dev/mmcblk0:
     HDIO_GET_32BIT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
     HDIO_GET_UNMASKINTR failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
     HDIO_GET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
     HDIO_GET_KEEPSETTINGS failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
     readonly      =  0 (off)
     readahead     = 256 (on)
     geometry      = 54784/4/16, sectors = 7700480, start = 0

I've done some further testings: The transfer rate for writing was at 9 MiB/s at an cpu load of 15% over several files. But during reading I got very different results - there have been several operations with a cpu load of 40 to 50%. The transfer rate was, as you might guess, at very slow 2,5 MiB/s. This only occurs while reading large files (large than 10MB), reading some photos the transfer rate got up to 5 MiB/s with an cpu load at 30% - this might be caused by any kind of caching.

5. Frank

and if you run a test like the one in the HowTo did?
    As already said, I have no clue about Linux, so I don't know if the command I posted is a benchmark command at all ;)

Where are the other Linux geeks here in the forum?

6. Wookie

Wookie Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, my fault :rolleyes:
    This is not a benchmark, it reports only the actual state of an storage interface (e.g. to check if DMA is in use).

7. Frank

sorry, my fault :) I did not meant your command, I meant this command:
    which is, according to google and wiki useable for a benchmark.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015