T4210 Questions...

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by JB677171, Jul 19, 2006.

1. JB677171

JB677171 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, my name is Joe and I'm going to be attending college for my freshman year in late August. I will be purchasing a Tablet PC within the next week or two. At school, I will be using the tablet/pen for note taking and the keyboard for typing papers. I will be using the computer primarily indoors, but on occassion, outdoors as well.

Using this website, I have done my research on many different Tablet PC models. The two I have narrowed down on are the Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 and the Toshiba Portege M400. Right now, I'm leaning towards the T4210 but before I make my decision, I have a few questions...

1) Overall, which is the better Tablet PC for me? The Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 or the Toshiba Portege M400?

2) With the T4210, the indoor/outdoor display has been a topic of concern. I plan on using the notebook outdoors from time to time, but if the display indoors is really poor compared to the Indoor-only display, then it's not worth it. I would get the Indoor-only display. Which display should I get?

3) I am a Tablet PC newbie and don't know what the biometric fingerprint sensor is used for... What is it for? What programs can it be used with? Can I use it to log onto Windows XP at the logon screen?

4) Is it heavy? I noticed that one of the cons on the review was the weight. Often, I plan to be writing on the tablet while holding it on my left arm. Will the weight be enough of a concern that my arm will tire quickly? Is the M400 much lighter?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time out of their day to answer my newbie questions lol. And thank you to the administrators for writing such detailed reviews.

- - Joe

2. {NOC}MONK

{NOC}MONK Pen Pal - Newbie

I have neither so I cannot comment on personal questions about screne, but I looked into both of these as well. However, ill try to help a bit if I can

I am a student as well and I feel that the T4210 is better overall for students and sounds a bit sturdier. (IMO) However T4210 is also a bit more $$$

Biometrics come with software that allows it to be used in place of most passwords as well as login.

Weight: M440- 4.5 lbs T4210- 4.3lbs (both easily carried)

-MONK

3. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

These two come with pretty much identical hardware. You can get a 7200RPM hard drive on the M400, while better warranty options are available for the T4210. The M400 also comes loaded with a lot more bloatware, but the T4210 is limited to 1024x768. The T4210 also has the option of a modular bay battery. As you can see, the differences between them are slight and which is better depends pretty heavily on what your expectations are. After all, an outdoor display might be a dealmaker for one person, while the lower resolution might be a dealbreaker for someone else.

The indoor/outdoor display has been described as "a bit grainy" indoors. My T4210 (indoor display only) is perfectly visible under all conditions except direct lighting; so on a sunny day, it only works outdoors if you've got shade. "Outdoors from time to time" doesn't suggest you actually need to use it outdoors, which means you can be picky about shade etc. so I wouldn't bother with the more expensive display... but that's up to you.

Yes, you can use it to log directly into Windows at the login screen. It also functions as a "scroll wheel" in most programs. The security programs that come with it also enable you to save passwords; I haven't used this feature but if you've ever used Password Safe, it looks similar.

Short answer: it's not heavy at all. I have been using my T4210 for a couple days and have not had any issues with the weight.

Long answer: Actually the M400 is heavier under most configurations, however not enough that you'd be able to tell the difference. Both are extremely light, all things considered. What you have to remember about these reviewers is that they often review ultralights--super small, extremely portable machines that sacrifice power in exchange for smaller size. The 12.1" tablet family tends to clock in around 4.5lbs, though if you sacrifice the integrated optical drive and a little bit of power, you can get them in the 3lb range. The bigger tablets hit 5 and 6 and even 7lbs. Some of the computers that get reviewed here are closer to 2lbs than to 3...

Anyhow, hope that helps.

4. jerrmorn

jerrmorn Pen Pal - Newbie

Just get the T4210. The M400 is buggy and loads of people are complaining about it. The other great advantage is the ability to to swap out the optical for a modular battery (to get 7-9 hours use) or blank weight saver. If I was a student, this would sell me.

If you just want the lightest, the best available is the X41 but it has its own problems.

Just get the T4210 - you WON'T regret it!

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you have not tried or seen both then yes, on paper it would be a hard choice to make between the two..
    I've seen the M400 and in the end because of what I did not like about the M400, coupled with the fact I am a long-standing user of Fujitsu Siemens Laptops/Tablets, I decided on the T4210.

It's all realy down to how best you feel with the machine.
    If screen real-estate is paramount, then the M400 with it's SXGA+ will be important.
    Equally if you don't want to lug a DVDRW around all day but fancy an extra battery, the T4210 allows you to add such a battery in the Optical Bay.

There are other glowing errors in the M400, such as the screen not being sterdy enough when opened, the fan making an horrendous noise, the unessesary amount of bloatware installed, the build quality is not on par and the support should anything go amiss.
    These are just the glaring pointers that made me decide to stick with the T4210.

However, if it had not come along, despite what I consider problems of the M400, I probably would have ended getting one in the end...... but wouldn't have been totally happy. :)

6. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a T4210 (going to be a student as well), and I agree with all the info related above.

I would like to add though that yes, the T4210 isn't "heavy"... you will have no problems carrying it around. When you hear people in these forums talking about heavy, they are speaking from the viewpoint of a tablet owner. i.e. four and a half pounds is not a heavy object to carry around... but it gets heavy fast if you are cradling it in the crook of your arm in tablet mode and writing on it. It can be done comfortably, but not for extended periods of time.

7. {NOC}MONK

{NOC}MONK Pen Pal - Newbie

When first looking for a tablet I was also looking for the lightest thing that I could possibly get, but eventually I realised that 80% of the time I am going to be using it on a desk anyways so the weight really only matters as to if you could have it in your backpack all day. Personally I have had laboratory manuals in my backpack that were heavier. ( we wont even talk about my 25 lb organic notes)

-MONK

8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

im SO HAPPY IM DONE WITH ORGANIC CHEMISTRY.

WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE.

9. treedude

treedude Pen Pal - Newbie

I started handling this laptop, and I have to say it sold me just on touch/feel/weight alone. I have played with the M400, the R20, the gateway models and the T4210 is simply a joy to use compared to the competitors. I found it sturdy and easy to manipulate. The screen/pen combination was very good, and the keyboard just felt right.

Because the specs are so similar, I would recommend a test-drive of these models, but I would go with the fujitsu.

10. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

where do you test drive them...im pretty sure none of the retailers around me even have tablet pcs (unless you are talking about the m285 at best buy)