t4210 questions before i buy

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by hkriegal, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkriegal

hkriegal Pen Pal - Newbie

i've decided on the t4210 as my first tablet. i'm starting law school in late august so i'll be ordering soon. i'm a power user (i built my current laptop from an asus barebones...great laptop...just need a tablet for notes). the questions i have is ordering from newegg seems like the way to go (with foregoing tax on top of more savings). i would go with the cheapest config (1.66ghz, 512 and 40gb) and buy 2 seperate 1 gig ddr2 pc5300 667mhz sticks for 2 gigs and get a sata 100 gb hard drive. is it difficult to get to the hard drive and upgrade it? i don't know how their shock mounting works and wouldn't want to be stuck with only 40 gb. the other thing i'm interested in is power savings. the lowest model uses the t2300e...the e means it uses less power (15watts as opposed to 35 watts by most core duos). do you think this would make a difference in battery life (since i'm certain that 3 or 4 hundred mhz will make little to no diff. to me, i'd rather have the battery life)?

thanks, i hope that wasn't too technical...i'm really excited to get my hands on this computer and see what it can do!

2. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

hey does 1.6 ghz version really use up less power? thats pretty sweet. I guess I am going to have to order from fujitsu direct since I want my indoor outdoor screen.

if it is in fact 15 watts vs 35 watts that is a big difference.

edit: I just looked it up on wiki and it says that all the yonah chips have the same power specs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_microprocessors

3. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah... In addition, the T2300E is missing Intel's Virtualization Technology (whatever that is).

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/coreduo/specs.htm

Can someone explain why the 1.66 GHz, 1.83 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 2.16 GHz, and 2.33 GHz processors all draw the same amount of power?

4. PYROTAK

It has to do with virtual machines.

http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/vptech/

yeah so it seems like the E doesn't stand for low power at all. it seems to be more on the lines of E for a budget chip.

looks like I might go ahead and get the not budget version.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Regardless of the highest clock frequency rating for each chip, they are supposed to scale down and consume more power ONLY as needed. Interestingly enough I could not get Windows to display less than "1.99GHz" on our T4210 review unit. Perhaps Windows XP does not detect the current speeds on the Yonah chip family properly.

6. PYROTAK

Windows doesn't display the realtime speed in intel chips im pretty sure. I think it just reads what the bios detects as the max chip speed. I have an old school p-m chip and it has speed step however, the my computer properties always posts 1.6 ghz.

which is funny considering I remember my friends athlon mobile that did change speeds in the my computer properties...

either way there are CPU speed monitoring programs out there if you are really curious.