T4210 Graphics Card Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by chaychay, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaychay

chaychay Pen Pal - Newbie

I am very interested in purchasing a LifeBook T4210. The only draw back I see is that the T4210 lacks a dedicated graphics card (I require somewhat advance graphics card due to use of CAD software, primarily SolidWorks and AutoDesk Inventor.) However, in my interest to find a way around this obstacle, I ran into some information about the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950: “PCI Express x16 port available. Single platform can be deployed for broad range of client user needs, allowing upgrades to higher performance 3D graphics cards if required.” (Source)

I am not an expert with notebook hardware, but I would assume this means I can add an additional graphics processing unit to bring the LifeBook up to my needs. Would this assumption be correct? If so, can anyone direct to me a resource to find these “higher performance 3D graphics cards”

Thanks so much your help :cool: ,

Jay Shah
    Toronto, Ontario

PS. The other tablet I am considering is the Toshiba Terca M7 because of it's Quadro graphics card.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This chipset you mention runs from the motherboard. As such it would require a complete change of the system and for that I can not see it as an option.

However, the chipset on the T4210 although not a dedicated graphics card standard is still quite powerful as it is.

Although games are not your pre-requisite, the chipset on the T4210 will allow you to play heavy graphics but at a reduced level.

I would have thought though that it would allow you to run CAD application data.

3. Badzoo

Badzoo Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem with CAD is that its requirements are different from gaming application :( Gaming application requires speed, CAD requires precision..
    For example, for a same graphic card, the difference in graphic output can range from 2x to 10x more performance, just with drivers tweaks.

(little more explanations, currently a gaming and professional cards just differ from their drivers and some non connected pin, the card, the chips are identical, but some pins are not connected, so we cannot make a gaming become a professional card on new models)

Although a gaming chip can handle CAD, a pro model is very much advised. I never runed a CAD on integrated chipset, I work on SolidWorks too (on a FireGl T2). Something that I like to see on the notebook/tablet world.. is a small notebook or tablet with an external upgrade even a bit expensive, it would give the opportunity to users to upgrade their products. For example something like a docking station with an dedicated graphics inside to enhance business experience.

I need to travel with my notebook, in order to reorganize my way of working, I am going on a tablet PC, but knowing that I can't use any CAD on it makes the choice really difficult..
    An upgradable solution would be very much prefered, or in another hand, upgrade a light mobile working station such as the T60p in a Tablet version. It would be enough IMHO. Mouse is ok, but sometimes, having a tablet integrated, it's better for handsketches :)

Chaychay, As far as I remember, the Quadro in the M7 is a 2D oriented, not a 3D one.. so it's good for Autocad.. but maybe not for SDWKS

4. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I am really curious if integrated graphics can handle CAD and 3d work, without being unbearably slow and low frame rate.

If not I might have to go dish out and buy a dedicated desktop machine.

Currently my laptop has geforce4200 graphics and its perfectly good for my student low usage 3d modeling hehe.

5. chaychay

chaychay Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats where I got confused though. Because the intel quote says "PCI Express x16 port available", which makes it sound like I there is a port to which I can attach something on motherboard......and if that is/was possible I guess it would be up to the engineers @ Fujtisu to leave some space for such an attachment.

I've emailed Fujtisu Tech Support, I'll post their reply when I get it.

Thanks for all your help so far!!

Jay

Badzoo, this is what Toshiba said about the M7 (Source):
    * NVIDIA® Quadro™ NVS 110M PCI Express 16x Graphics Controller
    * Video Memory: 128 MB External DDR2 Video Memory
    * 2D and 3D Graphics

ps. Would anyone with a T4210 (or any Intel GMA950) be willing to test CAD software?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: I called Fujtisu (because they didnt respond to me email) and they said that the current intergrated graphics card uses PCI Express technology, but it cannot accept any kind of expansion. They think that Intel may be reffering to the "upgradable" factor when it comes to desktops not notebooks/tablets....However I tested my CAD requirments on an older Dell laptop which uses an intel intergrated graphics card, and all seems to be working well. So I will be placing my T4210 order soon. Once I get it I'll do more extensive tests with CAD software to let everyone know if this tablet is feesable for such use.

Cheers,

Jay
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Badzoo

Badzoo Pen Pal - Newbie

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Glad you cleared that up Chaychay.. It's what I mentioned on both accounts.... i.e. you can't upgrade/add any graphics card/chips & the internal graphics chip coupled with the core duo is strong enough to handle CAD.

8. {NOC}MONK

{NOC}MONK Pen Pal - Newbie

You can also just try to way over compensate with 2GB of RAM. But I don't think that you should have any problems with CAD.

9. UNO

UNO Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Chay Chay,

I’m at the same situation as you right now thinking of buying the T4210. I have tried out the T4210 tablet at my local Fry’s store and so far I love it. However I wonder will Solidworks and others 3D programs is feasible to wroth buying. I’ll be waiting for your next post. Thanks

Emi

10. Widget

Widget Pen Pal - Newbie

I've used a laptop with GMA900 to run PTC Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2 with assemblies of over 100parts, including sweeps and blends, without any significant problems.

Obviously it's not the fastest thing, but if you turn down the edge detail and leave "real-time rendering" off, things work just fine.