T4210 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by alaren, Jul 17, 2006.

1. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm writing this on my T4210, which arrived today from Osaka Japan via UPS. Shipment went out Thursday, so that's two business days. My free USB drive also arrived today, via FedEx from Las Vegas. Actually the USB drive came first and I was very disappointed when the FedEx guy didn't have my tablet!

If I think it bears getting into, I'll probably do a more in-depth review later, but I'm not sure that will be necessary except to maybe discuss battery life.

I got a 2.0GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, 60GB HD, indoor screen, maxed out warranties. Before I booted up, I applied one of the included screen protectors. It's a little tricky to figure out at first; the clear sheet comes off, exposing adhesive around the edges of the blue piece. Once that is stuck around the screen, a little bit of rubbing and picking and I finally managed to get the blue film off of the actual screen protector. It has pretty much zero glare reduction, but as long as you don't have lights shining directly on your screen it seems to work just fine.

Straight out of the box it boots up very fast. I removed the Norton Internet Security, Google Toolbar, and the Fujitsu Driver Updater, but everything else stayed. I did have to install the Bluetooth drivers and the Hardware Shock Protection program myself from included discs; everything else was pre-installed, but restore DVDs are included. I also installed the Wacom Tablet drivers; I couldn't find any other way to configure the buttons on my pen! However I believe the Wacom drivers were necessary for pressure sensitivity anyhow.

The pen needed no calibration, which pleased me; it also comes with five extra tips and a tip-swapping tool. The fingerprint reader works very well with a learning curve of about two minutes to get a feel for how fast/slow it wants you to swipe your finger.

Heat: some people have commented that the machine gets too hot to even touch. This is actually true when the computer is plugged in and the battery is charging--I attempted to use the PC in tablet mode and found it extremely hot--not hot enough to burn on contact, but holding your finger there for more than ten or fifteen seconds could probably raise a blister. However it only gets hot on the bottom on the left side, and when the machine is unplugged the heat is no more than you would expect from any laptop; since I do not plan on using tablet mode while plugged in, it's no big deal. Oh, and the very hot portion is set well away from the battery, which makes me feel better in light of the recent exploding Dell issues. d^_^b

Fan noise: this machine is dead silent. Seriously, SO quiet it's amazing.

The build quality is pretty much what I would expect from a machine assembled in Japan; it's feels very sturdy. The keyboard is surprisingly robust for such a tiny machine; it doesn't have that cheap flimsy feel that Dell and HP laptop keyboards always seem to have, the tactile feedback is nice.

I'm not as impressed with the screen latching mechanism on this as on the Gateways--I think the magnetic latch on the Gateway tablets is really nifty, while the Fujitsu requires a manual click, similar in execution to the Toshiba (it you say the Toshiba latch flips vertically, the Fujitsu latch flips horizontally... kind of hard to describe). But it feels very sturdy and it gets the job done; if we could have a tablet with magnetic latches from Gateway and magnetic power adapter cables from Apple, that would be too cool... but probably not for many years to come!

Let's see, have I missed anything? The touchpad is very nice, the weight is quite light, and I'm very pleased with my purchase! If you have any questions, fire away. I think that the review posted earlier this week pretty much gets the job done, but it's often the little things so I tried to focus more on those.

2. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

You are happy with it, and given that mine is on the way, your happiness makes me happy!

How do you find the resolution? Screen quality? Are you using the protectors that came with it?

3. DragonFly

DragonFly Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it's nice to hear good things. I'm struggling just to wait for mine to come in!

I've heard some different things about the battery. What average battery life would you say you're getting?

4. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the indoor screen, and indoors, it's great. The 1024x768 doesn't bother me, but I've never been a resolution whore... I run my 17" Desktop monitor at 1024x768 even though it (and my graphics card) can go much higher, so this resolution is totally natural for me. I am using the protectors that came with it and they seem to work fine... as I mentioned, they do nothing in terms of glare reduction, but I'm not after glare reduction, I'm just protecting my screen!

As for battery life, I've been running for about two hours and it tells me I've got 1:53 left. That's at half max brightness (quite comfortable), with WiFi on. Of course the 1:53 is almost certainly wrong, since two hours ago it was telling me I had almost five hours... so you do the math I guess. I'll get more than three hours but probably not four out of my first discharge. Over the next few weeks I'll probably be able to comment more.

5. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi ALL,

After reading the above post from aleran, specifically regarding the Hardware Shock Protection program included discs...I did not receive this disk. I called tech-support, and they said that some of the units shipped without it...BUT that there was suppose to have a notification slip included...no slip for me:(

They are sending this disk to me...just thought I would pass this along in case you too get shorted :)

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just a point on the heat issue....

I've been sat for the past 30mins with the T4210 on my lap whilst wearing shorts.
    The tablet is directly on skin and although it is hot it certainly is not what I would call uncomfortable.
    I am however running the 1.83 model.

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

what out person you don't want to get burns in your nether regions!