T4010 after a few days-

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by robbyv, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centaur8

centaur8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the website guys, it is a real bonus to have so much useful and unbiased information available on Tablets.

I purchased the T4010D Lifebook Convertible and have been using it for the last few days. I’m new to a Tablet, so there is a definite learning curve for this…shortcuts, features in tablet mode, etc. Coming from a larger laptop, I really like the increased portability factor, but the debate is still open on whether I can stand using the 12in display for extended daily use. Tablet mode is awesome, the handwriting recognition is much better than I expected. I’ve taken it home in the evenings and in tablet mode can sit on the couch and surf away via wireless connection…no balancing the open notebook on my lap or the coffee table. The T4010 is about 4.5 lbs and is a little bulky/awkward in tablet mode, but has become more comfortable with each use. It is mostly a work machine, so I went with the XGA indoor screen. The viewing angle is very good, but the screen is not quite as crisp as some other similar sized notebook screens I’ve seen….some of this may be due to the matte finish on the screen for easier Tablet use. I’ve also installed a screen protector (after a brain dead moment...see post on 'blue tinted' protectors). This has increased the glare some, so I’m going to look for more options.

The keyboard is very comfortable. They made some changes to reduce the size…but overall I really like it better than my old notebook. I went with all the upgrades that were ‘integrated”….1.8Ghz processor, BT & Atheros wireless, and modular Superdrive (CD/DVD-RW). After receiving, I upgraded the hard drive from the standard 40G, to a 80G 5400 RPM drive (fujitsu). I also upgraded the standard 256MB of memory to the max of 2GB. My experience with laptops are that you can never make them quick enough!!

One note-- Upgrading the hard drive was a snap with the optional Superdrive! I ghosted the original installation on a DVD-R disk and had it back up and running on the new disk within an hour. This also gave me a peak at the shock mount for the hard drive which gave me a certain piece of mind.

So far, here are the Pro’s:
    No need for external drive. The Superdrive makes installations and backups a snap.
    Very portable….with great battery life.
    Comfortable keyboard
    System is fast and responsive…the integrated graphics are not an issue for me.

Con’s:
    Fujitsu should remove the port covers…these are more of an annoyance in my opinion.
    Although very clear and readable, screen is not as crisp as I expected.
    Speakers are weak and tinny sounding, but mic works well for recording.
    Not crazy about the touchpad buttons or their placement.

Overall I’m very happy with purchase, and it will take a lot longer to take advantage of all the Tablet offers.

Centaur8

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for this take, you've done well to give a good overview of your experience. I use a 10.6" notebook display, so 12" sounds huge to me, LOL...it's all about perspective. And yes, the integrated optical drive is a nice score.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

centaur, Congrats on your new Fujitsu and welcome to the world of Tablet! It is apparent you have extensive prior knowledge of notebook hardware and optimization, etc. I remember sitting with my first Tablet PC and trying to get used to working with the new features, handwriting, etc. You are going to be a pro in a matter of days. Purchasing the Fujitsu was a great choice. We always recommend the Fujitsu brand without question as a spectacular option. We hope you will keep us posted with your future commentary, input and/or questions as you continue to work with your new machine.

4. kk6265

kk6265 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking at this model too (really for my wife), so thanks for your mini-review. I'm looking forward to a full review here (hint). Does anyone else feel that an integrated optical drive is a necessity (apparently, neither HP nor Lenovo do, dissapointingly -- I was hoping that the new Thinkpad was going to have the X40's "slice", but alas!)? A external drive is just too cumbersome, IMO. Anyways, I've never seen a discussion of the differences in the T4000's display choices (indoor, high-res, indoor/outdoor) and, frankly, have never seen a T4000 or any Fujitsu even, so I was wondering, Centaur, how did you make your screen choice? Does anyone else have any observations, especially of the "indoor/outdoor" screen -- I was wondering if it's worth $150 (for mainly indoor use, but given tepid reviews of the the T4000's "indoor" screen, I would consider it). Thanks.

5. Barry J. Doyle

If the plan is to use the Tablet indoors, then you are best off saving your money on the indoor/outdoor screen. In truth the indoor screen is going to be as good as it gets when viewing under artificial light. Fujitsu's high quality hardware and strong build are its best attributes. I can't say that they excel in their displays like Sony for instance. The trade off here is the ability to write on the screen and extend battery life (with a reduced brightness). BTW, the IBM X41 and HP TC4200 screens are not exactly "stunning" either.

6. centaur8

It's only been a week so it is hard to make a strong statement in regard to the display...especially since the indoor (that I have) is the only one that I've played with. One reason I picked the XGA screen is that I plan to have an external monitor set up shortly via the port replicator. This allows better resolution on an external monitor for office use. IF this was only a laptop, the decision for the screen would be simple...SXGA. Personally, after a week I do not think I would want the screen resolution higher in tablet mode.

I can verify that screen brightness does have a pretty big effect on battery life. When only on battery it automatically reduces the screen brightness-- I have needed to play with the controls for this because in a bright room (using the battery) it is sometimes just too dim. Increasing brightness is easily done, but will impact battery life.

I'm still very happy with my choice. I've already travelled with it and the lighter/smaller platform is really great. I've used the tablet for quick notes and reviewing or previewing info or websites...it is hard to break the laptop habit!!

Centaur8

7. Barry J. Doyle

Can you tell us approximately what kind of battery life do you see on high-full brightness?

8. kk6265

kk6265 Pen Pal - Newbie

The only thing I need to lament about now is whether to wait-out Fujitsu's Sonoma tablet release -- real soon now? Having to buy one sight unseen is a little daunting, but I can't even find a store with a Satellite tablet (I guess some BestBuy's have them, but not around here and the CompUSA things are too far away). Also, the new Portégé *must* be right around the corner, and given Toshiba's other recent introductions, I'm hoping for an integrated optical drive there (I've considered the M4 but I think 14" and 6+ pounds is too big for a real tablet, isn't it?). BTW, Barry, thanks for the site -- maybe efforts like yours will get people to realize what an advantage this (tablet thing) could be -- it looks like some of the laptop manufacturers are finally realizing it.

9. centaur8

Battery Life- I do not have a very specific answer for you. Because I knew I was going to be travelling I installed the modular battery as well and removed the Superdrive. I let both charge overnight and left on my trip. The first day I set the screen to max brightness and the battery indicator said I had about 4 hours and 30 minutes of usage. I used it off and on for the day with it going into standby several times. The battery drained pretty quickly...by the end of the day I was down to about 20%. The next day I set to Min. Brightness with roughly the same usage. By the end of day I still had nearly 50% battery life. Granted, usage was sporadic but I think pretty well matched. On both batteries on Min. brightness I think 6 hours of pretty steady usage is definately a possibility. On Max brightness I would guess an additional power drain of 20-30%.

Just a very unscientific observation-

10. Barry J. Doyle

centaur, it might be "unscientific", but very "real world" - thanks for your response.

In response to waiting for a Sonoma from Fujitsu - that will no doubt come, but at the cost of greater heat and lesser battery life. The Toshi Tecra M4 is a perfect "only" machine with its powerful Sonoma platform and screaming video performance. However, that will buy about 2-2.5 hours "real world" use away from a plug.

The Dothan platform (with its power savings) is very suitable for most Tablets at this stage of the game. (IMO)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.