T2020 Sata2 Support (?)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by zup2sky, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zup2sky

zup2sky Pen Pal - Newbie

I am seriously considering purchasing SSD for this unit.

However I can't find anywhere that states Intel GS45 Chipset supports SATA2 Support. Does anyone have a info regarding this?

If it support SATA1, there is no reason for me to purchase a 'high-performance SSD.'

2. zephir

zephir Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried it before, the T2020 is limited to SATA-I. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

3. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

If I'm not mistaken I've read somewhere on this forum that member Frank managed to force his T2010 to use SATA-2 transfer mode. That may be applied too with your T2020.

Let's wait for his opinion regarding this.

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

na, sorry Razznuts, the T2010 does only work in SATA1 mode, I hade to force my HDD to run in SATA1 mode.
    However the chipset supports SATA 2, just the BIOS blocks it, somehow.

But what's the advantage of SATA 2 compared to SATA 1? Not much.
    A SSD is, compared to a HDD, not faster because of higher sequential transfer rates, but because of almost non-existent access times.
    Sure it's nice to see that a benchmark program reports super high read transfer values, however, those aren't that important.

5. zup2sky

zup2sky Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed that is true.
    But with SSD being expensive, I rather opt for a SSD with high rate of read/write rate. According to Intel specification, the GS45 chipset indeed have support of SATA2 support. I guess fujitsu must have blocked it. But the questions is why?

6. evgeniy10

evgeniy10 Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated T2020 with new SSD, and it works slow - in SATA-1 mode. (BIOS 1.08)

Any new solutions for T2020 and SATA-2 mode for SSD ? May be, someone corrected BIOS ?

7. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

Yeah. Me too. I saw the relevant information about it and it should be the matter to save energy to get longer battery life.
    I also tried to set it as SATA-2 in PCI register under Windows environment but it seems to be not successful and sometimes hangup the machine due to the access activity between the SSD and SATA port had been stopped. :p:cool:

After that, I gave up to do so since I also think that it is not meaningful, as Frank said, the transaction from the chipset(ICH9M) and SDD is not always in high sequential transfer rate. For example, although there are many files, says 15MB in size, which transfer each 5 seconds, in theory(really in theory ignoring the time of start transaction and overhead, etc.), it uses 15MB/150MB/sec=0.1sec. vs 15MB/300MB/sec=0.05sec in every 5 seconds. I don't think you can feel difference between them in every 5 seconds transaction. Thus, it is not useful.

Then I am using the Cache utility to instead now. I am using about 1GB RAM as read/write cache and it is very good in performance. It is talking about the difference between 150MB/sec and about 2600MB/sec(RAM speed, it is the speed got from the benchmark program) so you should get difference feeling under 1GB data transaction between the system and the cache. The transaction speed is actually same as RAM Drive. There is no any actual I/O transaction and it is only the transaction between RAM and CPU. Thus, it is good although there is about 1GB RAM is used for it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.