T2010 with Ubuntu= no fan noise and low temps

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by antipody, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antipody

antipody Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been running my t2010u dual boot with Ubuntu 8.04 for a few months now as I need to use some Linux GIS software.

One thing I have noticed that might be of interest here is that the horrible fan noise and excessive heat that this machine puts out just running vista isn't a problem at all in Ubuntu. It's quite strange, as I can have many apps running, visiting the same AJAX heavy web pages in Opera and the fan hardly picks up at all. I can rest the laptop on my legs and the temperature is perhaps 5 degrees C cooler.

I'm now doing all my word processing in Ubuntu Open Office, as I'm sick of getting hot legs and distrubing everyone around me with the roaring fan in Vista...

...if only Fujitsu would support the stylus and screen rotation in Linux. :(

2. thrawn86

thrawn86 Pen Pal - Newbie

interesting... I can't give up onenote/dropbox, or else I'd try it.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, the little bastard can be silent.
    I'm running XP and there the fan is mostly turned off when in battery mode, but when connected to the AC adapter its temperature is a bit higher (there it also runs in power on demand) and I also use a BT mouse which increases the CPU temperature, too. So there it isn't that silent the fan is only on all the time, but still not loud, only when I really stress the CPU.

I don't understand.
    The stylus is a normal Wacom device which is supported in Linux.
    The screen rotation is an Intel issue, which is also possible to implement in Linux

Debian on a Fujitsu Lifebook T2010 (for the pen)
    Ubunu on a Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 (rotation)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. brvdboss

brvdboss Scribbler - Standard Member

Stupid question, but is it running at full speed? My T4220 needs some extra tweaking in Ubuntu or the cpu only runs at 800MHz in stead of the maximum speed of 2.4GHz. At that speed, it doesn't get hot either :)
    According to the first link posted by Frank this is a problem with the T2010 as well.

You can check with 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' and check the value in the cpu MHz field. Do this while your cpu is stressed.

Both should work.
    For me screen rotation doesn't work automatically (have to push the button or execute shortcut on my desktop) but in Vista 64bit it doesn't switch automatically either on my T4220. After all, it's just a software configuration and you can rotate the screen on any computer.

5. sagitis

sagitis Pen Pal - Newbie

I do agree it is a true bastard, when I run on ac it cries, but if it is on battery is is very silent. I test it numerous time at home and lecture. I even rm clock it to reduce the noise but still no luck. I hope Fujitsu could answer us why

But i do notice one thing, after you running ubuntu then run windows, the fan runs like a monster. The winds is hot as steam. I guess running ubuntu is good if it does know how to run it at 800mhz

6. quilzas

quilzas Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, It's supposed to be supported. When I tried Ubuntu on my T2010 I got the pen to work eventually, but it wasn't as easy as everyone said it should be. Screen rotation I had to use 'shortcuts' for as I couldn't figure out how to program the bezel buttons. Of course, this was Ubuntu a couple releases ago. Might be better now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.