t2010 SD card *SLOT* is not ReadyBoost compatible?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by 919jack, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: Sorry, searching didn't work for me when I posted this, but I found other threads on this subject for 4215/4220. Still, any 2010 user experiences with SD ReadyBoost?

Please!!!! Someone prove me wrong: Show me a t2010 that is using readyboost on an SD card in the built-in SD/MMC reader.

All of the level 1 and the one level 2 tech support whom I have spoken with at FJ say that it ReadyBoost should work in the SD card slot with an SD card that meets ReadyBoost requirements. I cannot get this to happen on my t2010 though.

My biggest evidence to date of the SD ReadyBoost issue is my Sandisk Ultra II 1GB SD/USB card (an SD card that folds in half to fit into a standard USB slot). This card can be used as a ReadyBoost drive in the t2010 USB slots, but not in the SD card slot. I have also tried 5 other SD cards in the slot, no luck with readyboost. I don't have another Vista machine to test these cards on, but reports say they should be compatible. (Kingston 512MB and 2GB, and AEP 4GB)

Note: I am pretty sure you must disable the ReadyBoost on Turbo Memory (for those models equipped with Turbo Memory) to get any ReadyBoost device to work...this was the case with my T2010. It seems that only one ReadyBoost cache can exist at any time. You can leave ReadyDrive on in your Turbo Memory options.

Needless to say I am pretty upset with FJ about this, as I verified with level 1 tech support/sales that this should work before I purchased. Carrying the tablet with a USB drive sticking out is just not secure, of course...if the SD slot works on any machine for readyboost, it should work on a tablet!!!

Any thoughts from t2010 or 4220 users? Can anyone get this to work?

Thanks.
    Jack

2. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

3. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply, but there is no mention of ReadyBoost in the linked thread. (I can use the SD slot for normal storage/backup etc., and don't need SDHC as of now, but nice to know that SDHC will be supported). Was there something else you meant to include? Thanks again.

Jack

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Your card isn't fast enough.

Microsoft's ReadyBoost requirements:
    Your cards specs:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Leaftye, this makes sense. I wonder why the Sandisk Ultra II Plus works for ReadyBoost in USB though...this whole ReadyBoost thing seems squirrelly.

I am off to look for a website that will test these speeds for my various cards...do you have any sites to recommend?

EDIT: nevermind, I am a moron sometimes, I see info about the built-in speed test in Vista in one of your links.

Jack

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I have no idea why it worked in USB mode. My only guess is that the ReadyBoost checks aren't as stringent for the USB adapter. Try leaving a comment on that guys website to see if he knows why that memory works one way, but not the other.

7. topher

topher Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, I love this. I have a Corsair 133x 2GB card, which is stated on various sites to work for ReadyBoost. When I use a USB reader (Kingston 12-in-1), it works right away. When I use the internal SD slot, no go.

Conclusion: the slot is indeed not ReadyBoost compatible! Argh! Let's hope it's a driver issue, and not hardware?

8. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

Topher, It is the same sad story with my EP-memory brand 4GB 150X SD card...works as a Readyboost cache in a USB card reader (cheapo no-brand), but not in the SD slot.

I am sending the card and reader to Fujitsu US so they can reproduce my issue (likely) and find a solution (hmmm). All we can do is hope that the the solution involves a driver and not a screwdriver.

9. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

If you open the registry to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EMDMgmt
    you can see all the devices with external storage that your computer has accessed, and their properties (this was indicated in one of the links that leaftye posted above).

When I look at any device that has been in the SD slot (for example the EP 150X 4GB card I am sending in to FJ) the Write Speed is 0. When the device is seen through USB card reader, the Write Speed in the registry is some more reasonable number like 2549 KBs. I realize this is probably not measuring the RANDOM write speed that Vista needs, but surely it has something to do with our issue...any expert opinions about this?

You can change these values to force Vista to accept an SD card for ReadyBoost, but for me this was useless, probably because you are forcing a cache to exist where the cache will not boost performance. Here's how:
    Change Device Status to 2
    Change ReadSpeedKBs to 1000
    Change WriteSpeedKBs to 1000
    You have to do this with "Stop testing this device" checked in the Readyboost tab, and with the device removed.

What happened? Well, the CPU just ran and ran, and I didn't see any performance boost. When I use ReadyBoost through USB, I get no overall CPU increase, but with this registry change CPU is always throttling up and down...no doubt a battery drain.

I should add that my system is not taxed so I don't really see any benefit from Readyboost at any time (except maybe at boot-up but I have not measured the slight difference, this could be placebo effect :eek:).

10. topher

topher Pen Pal - Newbie

Revelation!

I went to the Fujitsu website and downloaded an updated SD card slot driver, and voila! Suddenly everything works. Now to see if it was all worthwhile...

FYI, Fujitsu customer support, while quick and friendly, was useless. They had no idea what the problem was, and didn't even _suggest_ that I check for updated drivers. Oh, well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.