T2010: how would you upgrade it?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by powowcow, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iman

iman Pen Pal - Newbie

Im planning to purchase a new T2010, with a product spec similar like this

"LIFEBOOK T2010,XP TABLET PC, INTEL CORE2 DUO ULV U7600,MODEM,3 YR,1GB (512MBX2),60GB (5400RPM) SATA HDD,LAN,ATHEROS WLAN(ABG),12.1 WXGA ENHANCED INDOOR,PORT REP,9CELL"

How would you guys upgrade such machine?. Im thinking of upgrading the OS to Vista later, so i'll need to upgrade the ram to > 3GB. But which ram should i use? There's alot of brand and model to choose from :(

Here's an example when i search OCZ DDR2 667 ram.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=OCZ+DDR2+667&x=0&y=0

How bout the screen protector?

2. jinghwee

jinghwee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I upgraded mine to 320GB (5400rpm) HDD, 4GB (2GBx2) RAM, Wireless AGN but still on 6 cells. I am running on Vista Business with paging turned off. Seems quite good. If you are using a higher capacity HDD, you might want to check if it's SATA 1.5G/s or 3.0G/s because T2010 doesn't seem to support the latter.

So, if you got yourself a SATA 3.0G/s (or what's wrongly known as SATA II), you may wish to search for the manufacturer's HDD utility to force 1.5G/s mode.

As for RAM, I'm using Kingston DDR2 667 MHz RAM. Protector wise, I'm using this brand called Screen Guard. Reflective type, but colours are really good. =)

3. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

I got an AR screen protector form Photodon, and it's great. You can barely tell it's there. Definitely buy cheap config and upgrade yourself. I got a 200gb 7200 rpm (seagate momentus i believe) and 2x2gb RAM off newegg, just the cheapest stuff. the hdd was 3.0gb/s, but it worked straight off. Vista is nice to have. The T2010 will run basically all RAM at the same speed, since it can't handle very fast RAM and just underclocks it all or whatever the technical term is. I'd just go w/ w/e is cheapest, it worked well for me. Great battery life and snappy. Feels faster than my 2gb RAM desktop with 2.6ghz core 2.

4. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

Upgrade the RAM if you want but don`t waste money on a new hdd.
    Save for a SSD instead, the difference is like night and day.

5. Asian Driver

Asian Driver Pen Pal - Newbie

I also have the photodon AR.. its great. i bought 4 gb ram from newegg and i'm fine with my 80 gb hdd.

6. Deanhosh

Deanhosh Scribbler - Standard Member

I would do the HD for sure and upgrade to 7200 RPM. I find performace jumps. I also like ready boost with an 8 gb card to get the full 4gb of ready boost a

Also like 4 GB and Vista 64 bit. Caching comes in handy for me. Nothing like having instant launch of an app. With the 700+ MB more over Vista 32 bit you get a lot more cache and Vista is very aggressive on caching to the point it notes what was used at what time of day and loads it.

These are all pretty cheap upgrades.

I would also get the bump case, a cooling pad, upgrade the stylus and a USB hub for CAM, DVD drive, Printer and mouse.

Lastly I would run an external 20" monitor with a ergottron stand. Lots of deskspace and the option to run it in portrait mode.

Dean

7. x_khaotic

x_khaotic Pen Pal - Newbie

i upgraded to 4gb of ram and 320 gb hdd. right now, i'm having a bit of trouble getting the hdd to work so i'm still running on the 80 gb.

i was wondering, is there a significant difference in battery life between using the 320 gb and the 80g gb? I read somewhere that the user loses close to thirty minutes with the 320 gb compared to the 80 gb.

also, i want to note that with sp1, vista business will recognize all 4 gb of ram. before sp1, my computer read that i had around 3.3 gb ram, but after i installed sp1, it read 4 gb. can anyone else confirm this?:)

8. powowcow

powowcow Tablet PC Lover

Yes Vista SP1 shows all of it, however, it does not use all of it, it can't. The nature of 32-bit systems prevent that. Only with a 64-bit version of Vista will you be able to truly utilize all 4GB of RAM.