T2010 cannot boot after blue screening

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by sanufi, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanufi

sanufi Pen Pal - Newbie

I was installing Kaspersky 2009 and my T2010 blue screened on some IRQ error. Now the machine doesn't boot into Vista.

The startup repair function also does not work due to "required device is inaccessible". It advises that I insert my Windows installation disc. I don't have that, only the Vista Recovery Discs that came with the T2010. The Recovery Discs only allow me to restore to factory state (correct?) - not repair Vista.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You do have backups, RIGHT??? I am going to start by chastising you if you did not make regular back ups which is such an easy thing to do (start it up when you go to bed, and in the morning you have a perfectly good backup) and certainly could have prevented you from being in the position you are in now.

First, I would attempt to boot Vista into Safe Mode (hit F8 as your computer is booting) then uninstall Kapersky. If this fails to work then you are in for a treat.

Most factory restore disks from other manufacturers are simply a disk image, and were not meant to (and cannot) be used as a repair tool, but I cannot speak of Fujitsu recovery disks as I have no experience with them. I think your options at this point are to go ahead and use the recovery disks that came with your computer (after you pull the important data off the drive) and start with a clean slate, or to find yourself a Vista install DVD and recover using that.

All of that being said, recovery software is relatively cheap and when you consider what your time is worth it becomes even cheaper in my mind. There are several decent products out there, I use Paragon and have not had a problem ever recovering my computer (I like to mess around with Windows' config files to squeeze any performance I can out of my rig... and sometimes this causes my computer to not behave as it should). Even if you don't do anything exotic with your Fujitsu though, doing a recovery at a reasonable interval is cheap insurance against things like this occuring.

3. fuzi

fuzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't speak for the T2010, but for the two Fujitsu machines I've owned (P5020 and T4215) you're right, the recovery disc just reformats and restores everything back to factory fresh.

Two other possibilities, depending on how technically minded you are and what you have lying around:

- get it to boot off say, a knoppix live CD, then hopefully you can mount the HDD, and copy the relevant bits out.

- rip open an external HDD enclosure, patch the T2010 HD into that, and copy the relevant bits out.

(and if you were feeling *really* adventurous, you could try fix whatever is wrong, but that's almost certainly more trouble than it's worth.. unless you've got something there that you Just Can't Lose)

Neither option is all that pretty mind you...

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

If you have an external USB Drive, you could also use acronis true image home to make an image of the current disk, then restore as normal with your restore disk, then install acronis inside windows and use it to access the files from the backup you made of the hard drive.

Acronis allows you to access files from backup images.

You're gonna need a cd/dvd or usb to run acronis on boot.
    an external usb drive to back up to

5. sanufi

sanufi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the help. I did have a backup but it was about a month old. Anyway, I managed to boot into safe mode using F8 as suggested by TabbedOut and did a system restore which fixed up everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.