T2010 and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by padres-sd, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrawn86

thrawn86 Pen Pal - Newbie

no idea, I'll see in class tomorrow.

BUT... I'm completely lost with these drivers. my pen is perfect in win7, until I open any application. Let me explain:

-sitting at the desktop, writing randomly into the tab panel, the writing is beautiful and smooth.

-upon opening journal or onenote, the text becomes jagged, scratchy, and laggy.

-I get this weird icon shaped like a pepper above my pen cursor (in journal at least, in onenote it looks like a small "^" symbol above my cursor)

-I can no longer call the tab panel, I have to restart the machine again.

I've tried both the t2010 and t2020 drivers to no avail.

and thats just the pen. getting autorotate and the mobility center working are different beasts...

2. thrawn86

I can confirm that the new intel drivers fix autorotate now, but I"m about 5 minutes away from reinstalling vista just so I can have decent inking. I think I've tried every t2010, t2020, and wacom driver version in existence.

3. nakedape

nakedape T2010

@thrawn86

Kinks like that are why I hesitated two years to install Vista. Granted, Fujitsu is probably writing proper 7 drivers at this moment in preparation for October 22.

4. thrawn86

turns out I just needed to uninstall and delete all previous drivers, because evne after I installed the 5.11 wacoms it was using an old windows driver.

the downside is that even now I don't have right click functionality, but the same thing happened in vista after I installed the new wacoms.

everything else appears to be working with the old vista drivers. (and the intel drivers from windowsupdate). I'm really tired of the "win7 hasn't been released yet" excuse. Its RTM, manufacturers need to get on the ball.

5. nakedape

nakedape T2010

I took the dive and installed Windows 7 on my T2010.

I'm impressed. Drivers are nearly a non-issue. But the fan is still loud as ever (plugged in).

In advanced power settings I found "System cooling policy". It claims to calm a notebook's fan by throttling the CPU as a first step in the cooling process.

[​IMG]

However, when set to "Passive" (slow the processor before increasing fan speed), I could not detect any audible difference in my T2010's fan speed.

I'm thinking the change is either imperceptible or the cooling policy requires some yet-to-be-written proprietary 7 driver from Fujitsu to work.

6. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Vista was never a problem. The "kinks" were mostly hostile press for an OS that was revolutionary one to the degree that Win7 simply improved on it in an evolutionary fashion.

The anti-Microsoft press haunted Vista because of the supposed "incompatibilities" (necessary when an OS evolves dramatically) by gave a pass to Apple that "retired" a whole class of computers based on the PowerPC architecture. But these guys eat from Job's hand, anyway.

The fact remains that Vista SP2 is really not that different in performance from Win7. Win7 really cuts down on demands on memory and processor, making the footprint of this system lighter and better for older machines, but it only improves in an evolutionary manner on Vista. I am actually sad that this whole controversy has had many people stuck in running an ancient and insecure OS like XP Pro for such a long time.

7. nakedape

nakedape T2010

I agree. Vista is a fine OS but it underwhelmed with too little too late. Microsoft's clever "Mojave" marketing experiment revealed just how irrationally biased people had become toward Vista.

Windows 7 may overtly look familiar, but in my experience 7 has substantially evolved from Vista. I've used Win7 Ultimate x64 and I like the multitude of subtle, clever modifications to the GUI and tablet framework.

Overall this OS has employed my T2010 better than:
    • XP Tablet Edition
    • Vista Ultimate SP2
    • Apple OSX 10.5.5 (not yet worth the trouble on a tablet, imo)
    • Ubuntu 9.04 (typical of Linux, a tricky initial configuration)

Differences I Like(+)
    • Fan control is a bit quieter when plugged in.
    • Native Windows 7 Intel GMA driver is amazing. MUCH more powerful, fast, and capable than Vista's driver.
    • Superbar was made for tablet pens.
    • On first boot every piece of essential hardware installed itself.
    • Startup time is faster than Vista.
    • Specifically, logging in reveals a responsive desktop MUCH faster than Vista, with noticeably less disk usage.

Issues I Accept(-) *minor, temporary. Inherent to early adoption
    • Some specific issues with special hardware(a pen button, tablet buttons) which may not arise if one uses old Vista drivers (I have yet to need a single driver)
    • "Send to OneNote 2007" still doesn't work with x64 systems (works in OneNote 2010 though)
    • I can't connect to the internet with Steam (seems to be an isolated issue)

8. WellThen

WellThen Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to everybody that posted in this thread. I upgraded my T2010 from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional, and everything is working (fingerprint login, tablet buttons, auto-rotate) except for one tiny thing. I used to be able to scroll a window using the fingerprint reader. Does anyone have that working? Is this even supported now that fingerprint login is handled in the O/S?

9. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I run Win 7 x64 and I have a driver for the Finger Print reader installed, but can't use it. Not bad because I don't need it, but scrolling would be nice.

What Windows version do you use? And what driver?
    I tried the T2020 drivers for Win 7, it gives me an option for scrolling, but it does not work, maybe because it's a 32bit driver and not a 64bit driver.

10. WellThen

WellThen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Frank,
    I'm running the 32 bit version of Win 7 Pro. And I'm using the Vista Drivers for the T2010 that are on the Fujitsu web site. I could never get the T2020 drivers to work, but that was before I tried loading them in compatibility mode. Maybe, now that I'm stable, I can try the newer drivers again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.