Sytlus input horrible on tx1219us

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jeryst, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeryst

jeryst Pen Pal - Newbie

I just purchased an HP Pavilion TX1219US with the touch screen, for my daughter who is starting college.

The unit is very impressive with one exception. The touchscreen works quite well except when tou try to write with the stylus. Instead of creating solid lines, the stylus just creates sporadic dots. The characters are totally unrecognizeable. I've tried Notepad, Wordpad, and Paint with the same results. It will not generate a solid line.

Closing down all other progrms helps. So does making the line thicker. Still, the only way to get something even close to a solid line, is by moving the stylus very very slowly. I have tried different line thickness settings, varying amounts of pressure, and have recalibrated everything several times.

I am familiar with screen input on other devices including graphics tables, PDA's, etc. It is not the handwriting recognition, because it doesn't get that far. It's like the PC is too busy to accept all of the input from the stylus, and just manages to get bits of the line here and there.

I was on the HP tech line, and they were unable to help me other than to say it might be the video drivers. They finally told me that I should send it in for service, but I don't have time to do that because my daughter starts school in 4 days. I am going to take it back to Circuit City and have it replaced, but I was just wondering if this is something common. If so, should I take the time to try it out in the store before I take it?

Has anyone had this type of experience with this unit?

Any replies would em greatly appreciated.

2. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

The issue you are seeing is not normal, in my opinion. It's unusual to hear that shutting down other applications makes the handwriting recognition better.

It would be wise to test out a new unit at the store before bringing it home, for at least two reasons. First, of course, another unit in the same batch may have the same issue. The second reason is to try out writing on the HP's screen, assuming the unit does not have the same issue you described. There has been a lot of discussion about this screen and handwriting. Some people find it perfectly fine while others find it totally unacceptable. You need your daughter to decide how she feels about it, and to consider how much writing she expects to do on the screen. If she wants to take all her notes on it, she should be sure she's very comfortable with the screen input on this or any other tablet she considers.

One other note is that many users say that the screen 'breaks in' with time and the writing becomes easier. I personally have found this to be the case with mine. However, with your daughter leaving in a few days, you don't really have time to wait and see. Check out the machines available at the store and get one that works well for her right away.

Good luck,

JR

3. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Get a refund and buy a tablet with WACOM or another type of active digitiser. That will fix your problem. Touchscreen is not meant for writing in my opinion. The exact same hting happened when i tried a TX1000 in a store. The only way it would write correctly was to push extremely hard with the stylus.

4. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

As JR7 said - there is some discussion on the matter. chriscannon doesn't like it, JR7 does, I'm in the middle but more inclined towards JR7.

With mine, I can most definately write (with full lines), OneNote can recognise what I've written too.

(In the UK at least) the TX is the only way to go if you want to have a tablet and also have any money in the bank account.

I love it, would not change it for any other!

5. danahata

danahata Pen Pal - Newbie

Teryst-I have that
    exact same model and
    when I first got it, I
    was astounded at how
    poor the penning was.
    Much to my amazement,
    after 24 hours, the penning
    improved alot. It's now
    been one week , and I
    must say, the difference
    is night and day. I can
    now pen with ease.I'm not sure why it's
    improved so much, or
    if your problem is something
    different, but it's something
    you can keep in mind.
    (I wrote this post with
    the stylus, and it took
    about three minutes)

6. stealthy1

stealthy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the exact same model, bought at a CC in the States (I live in Canada btw). I too am starting University in a week. I too have found the writing calibration to be terrible at the start. Me, being a Science major, needed a tablet which was somewhat economical, and, as Speed mentioned, is the only way to go if I wanted money in the bank account.
    The tx1219us has a bad touchscreen in the beginning, but should "break in" soon enough. For me, it was spending 45 minutes using the handwriting recognition (this helped the computer recognize my handwriting, as well as push the screen to make it more responsive).

I, as well as other owners of this laptop, have noticed that the more the screen is pushed inwards, the more responsive the screen is. I believe someone even mentioned turning off the computer, then using the cloth and just pushing in various places on the screen as if you were wiping the screen (with some pressure applied). This seems to make it more responsive. However, the downside is you still need to push somewhat harder than if you were writing with pen and paper, but what you pay is what you get. I would not recommend a tablet with the active (wacom) digitizer unless you've got at least 1500+ dollars.

7. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is a myth. While alot DO cost a pretty penny, I got the Gateway with WACOM (LOVE THE PEN INPUT!!!!) shipped for slightly over $1100.

i was THIS close to getting the HP unit, and decided to wait a weekend, which research that weekend led me to the GW.

jeryst, As folks say, the more you use the HP, the better it becomes, although if it will ever be what you want it to be or anywhere close to a WACOM unit, is highly doubtful.

I'm not coming in the room and being a GW fanboy, as you'd have to wait close to eternity to get one anyways, but have your daughter sit at the table and just spend an hour with it. IF it don't work, ship it back and get something else.

8. stealthy1

stealthy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

nikecar: I stand corrected. However, I was basing my assessment on at least 2GB memory, and at least 160GB HDD, which will bring it close to around that amount (if you buy separately it might be less). I forgot how fast the 7100 was too (was it 2.0gHz?)

It is hard to say that it will be a total WACOM replacement, as it won't, but it comes pretty decent. I say for my Science classes it sure will be fine (I bought the notebook with the mentality that I would be typing most of the notes, and writing in equations when necessary).

9. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

The TX1220US which I have has gotten better after extended use. I did pick up a new gateway C-140X with the Wacom unit, and if you are looking for as a student to do significant writing, I think a true tablet makes much better sense, as you will still need to exert more pressure to write with the HP which is tiring on your wrist. That is really why HP advertises this as a Touchscreen and not a true tablet. This is just my opinion and offering some help. I love the HP, just for substantial writing, I don't think it's the best choice IMHO.. :)

10. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

would be cool if Lenovo made a widescreen version too
    then x61 would be a good laptop with wacomm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.