System thinks USB stick is CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 128 GB USB stick that is now write protected. Basically Windows Believes it to be a CD-ROM. I have tried it on two different Machines, same result. There is no hardware switch on the stick.
    I canät write new files to it (some 14 GB still availabe) and I canät delete files from it either.

Checking under [drive]Properties-->Hardware-->Drivers I find all the Three normal drivers for a USB stick are there. It hasn't affected other USB sticks, so it is something directly related to this stick.

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Couple things come to mind.

1. Maybe it was formatted as HFS or HFS+, which are MAC OS storage format. If that is the case HFSExplorer can read it and reformat it as FAT32 or or NTFS

2. Have you tried reformatting as FAT32 or NTFS. Unticking "Perform a Quick Format" will take longer but may fix errors. By going to My Computer>Right Click on Drive>Properties>Tools>Check for errors it may solve things.

3. Drive letter may create funky stuff as well. Can run (Win + R) diskmgmt.msc and see if it shows healthy for your drive? You can also change the drive letter there.

Hope you get it going

Ron

3. Kumabjorn

1. It is FAT 32
    2. Format, even in DISKPART yields a write protection error.
    3. Disk management reports healthy volume.

I'm starting to believe I've run into the NSA hard drive firmware spy software.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm starting to believe I've run into the NSA hard drive firmware spy software...>>

...The NSA will let you know when they want you to write new files...!

5. Kumabjorn

I should probably check their home page for relevant information as it relates to my situation. :p

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Kuma, if your USB flashdrive seems to be "write protected" than it is damaged! Sometimes you can save the drive but it will fail in the very near future (in case of collapsed-damaged FAT chart, or how it is called in english). Try to save your files (if you care for them) with some kind of recovery SW a throw the Sandisk into trashcan (or not, if you still have warranty). Don't try those stupid things with registry editing and so on, in 99,9 % it doesn't work and it is only wasting your time. Believe me, I went through this.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

I have copied all the files just to be safe. There was one file that wouldn't copy, it just removed the drive from the system, as it had been ejected. So I assume that file is corrupted somehow. I was thinking that there might be some utility that let's me remove the file forcibly?

9. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

For those "strange" files that can not be deleted normally you can use IObit Unlocker SW, but not sure if this is the case.

10. Kumabjorn

Ok, sounds interesting, I'll see if I can find it since I no longer have anything to lose.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.