System Restore with Vista Installation Disk

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Sfg5012, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Sfg5012

Sfg5012 Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased my tx2510us last month and really like it so far, its the perfect size for school, the tablet mode really comes in handy, and the notebook is just an overall quality piece of hardware that I've come to expect from HP.

That aside, I despise the bloatware and unecessary fluff they included with the computer and the fact that I can't do a system restore without also installing the bloatware all over again. I would really like to do a full system restore minus the bloatware as its something I do/did with all my notebook computers, but the fact that the manufacturers no longer include a Vista installation disk makes this difficult. Since the computer already comes with a valid license for Vista Home Premium, does anyone know if there is anywhere where I can just buy the installation disk minus the license, and therefore minus the bulk of the cost? Or perhaps somewhere where I can download an image file for the Vista installation disk and make the disk myself (although I don't know if that is partcularly legal/frowned upon)?

I would appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

-Sean

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Bittorrent/ filesharing of OS disks (well and 98% of the topic) is 100% illegal even if you use your own key (thanks to Drtigerlilly for informing me of this).

You will have to search for a install media through microsoft.

FYI on the TX25xx series MASSIVE performance improvements have been noticed from installing a fresh system minus bloatware. This is compared to the regular version which had the bloatware uninstalled (for some reason that didnt help a ton).

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Sean, you could consider looking for one of the media only installations of windows vista, they sell for about $30.

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Do you have a link? Helpful for both of us as i need to pick up some media copies for home as i lost my backups.

5. Sfg5012

Sfg5012 Pen Pal - Newbie

Drtigerlilly- Thanks for the information, I'll see about buying them from Microsoft, hopefully they don't ask for much. I guess I can also ask at the university computer store if they have a spare install disk I could borrow or purchase. I doubt they would though, they're all Apple freaks :p .

kpvic- That is my main motivation for doing the full restore minus the bloatware, even with it all uninstalled I can't help but feel as though this notebook is not reaching its full potential.

6. DRTigerlilly

Media can be found here for purchase and is actually generally under $15.
    (thanks Shutterbug)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Sfg5012

Sfg5012 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Drtigerlilly and Shutterbug, I just placed an order with them and we'll see how it goes. Cost came out to ~$16 and they didn't charge for shipping or sales tax.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Smile - You are on camera

Glad to be of help :)

9. tedmozer

tedmozer Pen Pal - Newbie

Wish I had clicked on the above link (http://store.digitalriver.com/store/wmp_phy/en_US/DisplayHomePage) before I had clicked on the other DR link (in another tread). Would have saved me money.

Anyway, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate using the "Ultimate Steal" deal for anyone with a college email address. I just finished the upgrade on my HP Tower.

Question: Will Microsoft allow me to also upgrade my TX2500z from Premium to Ultimate using the same product key? In other words, if I do the upgrade will I have a problem with activation? I think I remember that they allow you to install the same produce on a tower and laptop.......

10. DRTigerlilly

no a license is unique to one machine, short of it being a volume copy you're not going to be able to activate it.