1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

System Recovery vs Minimized Image Recovery

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by nordloewelabs, Apr 21, 2010.

1. nordloewelabs

nordloewelabs Scribbler - Standard Member

there's an unusual option on the tm2's Recovery Manager: "Minimized Image Recovery". does anyone know what that is? when i click on it, it takes me to a window that is identical to the one displayed if i had choosen "System Recovery", instead.

UPDATE: so i decided to go through the process of recovering the system using both methods, just to compare the results. here is the story. the "Minimized Image Recovery" option takes a lot longer (it seems to install each application and driver individually, instead of dumping an image to the drive), but it's worth it. at the end, after almost 2 hours of wait, you get a less bloated system. obviously, the resulting installation isnt as slim as a clean system install with the Windows disc.

Code:
    =======================================================
    |                         | SYS RECOV | MIN SYS RECOV |
    | Installation length     | 40 min    | over 90 min   |
    | Files in C:             | 141,000   | 86,500        |
    | Programs installed      | 79        | 40            |
    | HD usage                | 33.3 Gb   | 26.3 Gb       |
    | RAM usage (after 5 min) | 993 Mb    | 844 Mb        |
    | Processes (after 5 min) | 74        | 62            |
    | Boot (logon)            | 40 sec    | 35 sec        |
    | Boot (Launch IE)        | 56 sec    | 44 sec        |
    | SU7300 1.3GHz, 4Gb RAM, ATI, Windows 7 Home Premium |

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator

Thanks for your efforts. Very useful information, sure it'll help many others.
    (repped)
  3. BlindWolf8

BlindWolf8 Comparer of tm2s

I also did both before you had this post. The Minimized Image Recovery was nice, (and did take a long time as you noted) but I found something odd with it: pen AND touch would work fine, but after the first reboot pen works, but touch DOES NOT. Tablet PC Settings in the Control Panel also goes missing. It's all very odd.
  4. nordloewelabs

hmmmm, that didnt happen to me. what i did notice with reboots is that in the first 3 boots, boot times were 2 min long. by the 10th or so boot, the time had halved.

i'll have the Minimized Image Recovery done again in the next days and i'll pay close attention to the touch problem you mentioned.
  5. BlindWolf8

Thanks for taking a look! Any specific reason you keep resetting your system?
  6. nordloewelabs

because it's not my main system yet and i want to learn its quirks before i move my progs and tasks to it. so basically, i'm on learning mode. i'll eventually abandonon both recovery methods and perform a clean install.

also, my HD vibrates too much and i'm getting a replacement one shipped next week.
  7. BlindWolf8

Completely understandable. Btw, what hard drive do you have? Some machines have a WD drive, while others have (I think) a Hitachi.
  8. nordloewelabs

i have only heard of the Seagate ones (my case).
    maybe the WDs and Hitachis were shipped in Jan-Feb.
  9. AEDan1977

AEDan1977 HP Tablet User

I believe the problem is that the "Tablet PC Input Service" is Disabled or set to Manual.

To Re-Enable:

1. On the Keyboard: Press and Hold WINDOWS FLAG KEY + R to bring up the run dialog box and release the keys
    2. Type: "services.msc" and Click "OK"
    3. Scroll Down and look for "Tablet PC Input Service"
    4. Right click on "Tablet PC Input Service"
    5. Click on "Properties"
    6. Under "Startup Type", change it to "Automatic"
    7. Click "Apply"
    8. Click "Start"
    9. Click "OK", this should close the Tablet PC Input Service window
    10. Close out of the main Services panel with the X in the upper right corner
    11. Click the "Start Button" and "Restart" the HP tm2 laptop

Once the computer is rebooted you should have full Tablet functionality. You will have partial functionality before you reboot after starting the service, but everything won't work correctly until you actually reboot the computer to restart windows 7.

- Dan
  10. nordloewelabs

strange.... it just happened to me. the previous 2 times i did the "Minimized Image Recovery", the touchscreen worked fine..
  11. BlindWolf8

Yeah, I forget if it was Seagate or Hitachi.

Yeah, I thought it was this as well, but the service was Started, set to Automatic, and it was tracking my pen...just not my finger.
  12. CookieMonstAA

CookieMonstAA Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, where did you find the minimised image recovery option. all that recovery manager offers me is "restore your computer to its original factory conditions"(all crapware) under System recovery. Or did you buy a System Recovery disk from hp? I have a tm2t 2100 btw. thx
  13. nordloewelabs

1. Reboot the machine.
    2. Press ESC when the machine restarts.
    3. From the menu, choose Recovery/Restore.
    4. Once the graphical interface loads, choose Minimized Recovery.

NOTE 1: I have never tried it from inside Windows. Might not be possible...(?)
    NOTE 2: MiniRec is only possible when booting off hard drive (option is not available on DVD)
  14. paulbee

paulbee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you, Dan! I just had this problem after running a minimized recovery, but your instructions have touch working again. Strange that they would set up the minimized recovery to leave touch disabled. (Strange also that this doesn't work for BlindWolf8.)

For anyone wondering what software is installed with the minimized recovery, here's what software shows up in the Control Panel uninstall dialog. I've run a couple of rounds of Windows Update already, but that's all I've done since restoring. On occasion I've condensed multiple items into a single bullet point to save space, as with the HP TouchSmart suite.
    • Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
    • ATI Catalyst Install Manager
    • BumpTop
    • DigitalPersona
    • HP 3D DriveGuard
    • HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth
    • HP MediaSmart and SlingPlayer
    • HP Quick Launch Buttons
    • HP Support Assistant
    • HP TouchSmart (and all the specific programs that go with TouchSmart: Browser, Calendar, etc.)
    • HP Wireless Assistant
    • IDT Audio
    • Intel Matrix Storage Manager
    • LightScribe System Software
    • Microsoft Silverlight
    • Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (three entries: no descriptor; x64; x86)
    • Pen Tablet
    • Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver
    • Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader
    • Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
    • Validity Sensors DDK
    • a couple of Broadcom Windows Driver Packages

I'm pretty happy with that. The setup process took a long time, but was very easy (other than reenabling touch). I'm quite happy to know about this process; thanks to nordloewelabs for calling it to our attention.