System Hangs

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shyam111

shyam111 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah i would buy an ssd but i can't seem to find a 1.8" ssd with enough capacity for a low enough price in the uk, that's my next thing to buy on the list once prices come down

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Well, I have always had an SSD but I had rolled back the graphics drivers from the start to avoid the dithering. When I encountered the [very short] freezes while scrolling via touch screen, I re-installed the newer Intel graphics drivers and can now update my experience:

1. Still no dithering, even with current Intel drivers - again, thinking it may be the Boe Hydis screen that renders without dithering

2. The temporary freezes are about 50% better with the newer drivers. I'm thinking that I may need to reinstall or change the touchscreen drivers. It's not a general hang, because it never happens when I scroll via the touch pad. It's still annoying when some of the time I use my finger to scroll down and it just stops dead, then hyperscrolls when it "wakes up" (again, we're talking seconds or fractions thereof).

3. I found it is far better when I use "touch and grab" add on to Firefox, though still occurs sometimes. Wondering if it is the browsers that cause this. I need to try this with a long WP file and see if there is ever a hang there.

Most important, I have experienced this with the HP 2740 and TM2, the Fujitsu T-730 and the Lenovo X-201t. I'm starting to think it may be in the Wacom drivers. Think?

3. lovelaptops

BUMP.

This problem continues to plague me on each of three different tablet PCs with Core i5 or i7 cpus (Lenovo, Fujitsu, HP). I can't correlate it to anything and nothing consistently either causes it or alleviates it. It is not a deal breaker, just a disappointment, and fodder for my iPad happy friends who taunt: "so, you spent 3 times as much on it and half the time you can't even get it to respond to your touch, tee-hee..." Well, really not that bad - and who cares what they say anyway? - and it's not a failure to respond to touch, but to panning, as described in depth below.

I am once again calling for anyone with knowledge or solutions not already mentioned. MOST important, please weigh in whether this problem affects your tablet PC - specifically, you use your finger to pan down, say, a web page, and sometimes it's as smooth as silk and sometimes it just hangs for a second or so, then hyperscrolls, then repeats. Once it starts doing this even a re-boot doesn't really help. I have tried disabling unnecessary services and that doesn't seem to help much either.

Thanks.

4. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried disabling 'smooth scrolling' ? I don't know where the setting is for each of the programs you mentioned, but in IE8 it is under Options > Advanced tab > Browsing. It is the last option in the Browsing heading.

5. lovelaptops

Wherever I go with a problem, my "guardian angel" McCord is not far behind! :D I don't normally use IE and am having the problem on firefox, on which I am pretty hooked with add-ons, acceptable speed, etc. Still, I will "explore" using IE :rolleyes: and turn off smooth scrolling. I have always heard that IE was the most touch friendly of main browsers, but I've generally found FF with Touch and Grab to work quite well, except when the hanging occurs, which is about 25% of the time. I will check to see if there is a similar setting to disable in FF. BTW, why would smooth scrolling cause a problem? it's title sounds just the opposite?

EDIT: found smooth scrolling tab in FF and it was already unchecked.

Also, FYI, waiting for the return of my original T730; get this: they are backordered on motheboards - could be 4 weeks! Really like that machine but man, using the light as feather HP 2740 with Boe Hydis screen in the meantime is alluring. One way or another, I will have at least one great tablet and two to sell, in the next month or so. :)

Happy Holidays

6. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

I am going to do some testing on this in a couple of days. I do remember that with my last clean install, which had the newest driver direct from intel didnt do this kind of behaviour at all. Now that I have the older driver back from HP its doing this strange stuff again.

7. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

what kind of programs do you have installed? My computer had the BSOD many times and the culprit was zone alarm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.